Alec's Tavern : The Frost Blast

For what? Books, copies or both?

for everything :ill:
taxes, books, and some final exams. my best friend who got her degree last months has to do a qualifying examination this november, and has to pay about 500 € only for being able to do this exam. :zombie:

Merda! Why so much? Is education in Italy very expensive? :ill:

not so much expensive till high school, you have to pay nearly only for books and stuff.
but the university is really expensive. well, it depends a lot from university to university. the university of Pisa (which is the nearest to where i live, is quite famous and good) is quite expensive for example, taxes depend also from the type of courses you follow, for example medicine has diverse taxes from mathematic or litterature. there are cheaper and more expensive universities in the country. taxes dipend also from how poor or rich a family is, there are some special conditions and facilities sometimes, or for example for the first year you pay the lesser taxes the higher votes you got in the last year of high school...
but...if you add to this the fact that many students have to study outside their own city, and pay also the rent for a room, you can understand that it's not so easy for families. a friend of mine who lives in Pisa, she's from Calabria, in the extreme south of Italy, and she lives there with her sister, who studies too. so their family have to pay taxes, books and rent for both....and it's quite hard.

Well the payment is not really what's important, it's where I go and what I study :) .

Why did you say that about Penn State? Which is yours, and what others do you recommend? I don't think I'd like to go to a Uni in the U.S. though, I prefer England or Germany.

@ Ond:Well most Unis are like that, unless you have a scholarship or something.

Well, a Ph.D. is five to eight years of study in any sort of social science / humanities program... so being paid is important! They pay me anywhere from $21,000-$27,000 a year to come here (I go to Cornell University, in upstate New York).

A lot of the best European students come to the US precisely because of the graduate stipends here, and the best professors often end up in the states because the large university endowments allow US schools to be much more competitive in salaries.

As for what are good programs, I have no clue where you could apply to. Penn State is a pretty middle-of-the-pack school. The best social science and humanities programs tend to be in schools with big endowments, simply because most schools treat those programs as prestige programs (meaning they get hit HARD when money gets scarce); historians their ilk produce books and articles, not research grants for the university. This is the big overall ranking that U.S. News and World Report does, although take it with a grain of salt:

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/national-universities-rankings

Where you apply also depends on your credentials... if you got good stuff, you can get in anywhere. And they pay you to come. Just gotta find the right school, see which profs you want to work with, and roll the dice.

the university of Pisa

...does not teach architecture by the way :D

Back to the dues: Alot of students are against them. Maybe even the majority, but I dunno. But the German protesting culture is quite weak in comparision to e.g. France. You can see it in history aswell: We had 3 revolutions but only one was lucky in the end :rofl: One wise guy (Lenin? dunno quite exactly) once said: When the Germans are about to conquer a station platform they validate a ticket first. That summerises it all ;)

not so much expensive till high school, you have to pay nearly only for books and stuff.
but the university is really expensive. well, it depends a lot from university to university. the university of Pisa (which is the nearest to where i live, is quite famous and good) is quite expensive for example, taxes depend also from the type of courses you follow, for example medicine has diverse taxes from mathematic or litterature. there are cheaper and more expensive universities in the country. taxes dipend also from how poor or rich a family is, there are some special conditions and facilities sometimes, or for example for the first year you pay the lesser taxes the higher votes you got in the last year of high school...
but...if you add to this the fact that many students have to study outside their own city, and pay also the rent for a room, you can understand that it's not so easy for families. a friend of mine who lives in Pisa, she's from Calabria, in the extreme south of Italy, and she lives there with her sister, who studies too. so their family have to pay taxes, books and rent for both....and it's quite hard.

Yeah it happens like that here. Even though CR is a small country it takes a lot of time to get to the "outer" provinces because of the mountains, i.e. you go around the mountain and that takes time. The major universities are in the "Central Valley", so most people who live in the outer areas have to get a room. Universities (public ones, at least) offer scholarships depending on how poor you are. If a student has scholarship 11, that means that the Uni pays everything for them (rent —if necessary—, transportation, classes, books —copies—, food) and will actually give them money.

So exactly how expensive is it?

Well, a Ph.D. is five to eight years of study in any sort of social science / humanities program... so being paid is important! They pay me anywhere from $21,000-$27,000 a year to come here (I go to Cornell University, in upstate New York).

A lot of the best European students come to the US precisely because of the graduate stipends here, and the best professors often end up in the states because the large university endowments allow US schools to be much more competitive in salaries.

As for what are good programs, I have no clue where you could apply to. Penn State is a pretty middle-of-the-pack school. The best social science and humanities programs tend to be in schools with big endowments, simply because most schools treat those programs as prestige programs (meaning they get hit HARD when money gets scarce); historians their ilk produce books and articles, not research grants for the university. This is the big overall ranking that U.S. News and World Report does, although take it with a grain of salt:

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/national-universities-rankings

Where you apply also depends on your credentials... if you got good stuff, you can get in anywhere. And they pay you to come. Just gotta find the right school, see which profs you want to work with, and roll the dice.

Yeah I know the best Unis are in the U.S., such as Harvard. I was actually in Boston when I was like 16, and we visited parts of the campus. Pretty amazing, lots of space and trees :) . Boston is pretty nice and it's obviously more civilised than other parts of the U.S., but I dunno, studying in the U.S. doesn't sound good to me. I may sound paranoid, but I'm very afraid someone will randomly start shooting and kill people. It's gotten to the point that my family is going to Disney (Orlando) in January, but I'll be going to the second motherland (Canada). Actually I would go if it were Disney California, but not Orlando since I already went there.

...does not teach architecture by the way :D

Back to the dues: Alot of students are against them. Maybe even the majority, but I dunno. But the German protesting culture is quite weak in comparision to e.g. France. You can see it in history aswell: We had 3 revolutions but only one was lucky in the end :rofl: One wise guy (Lenin? dunno quite exactly) once said: When the Germans are about to conquer a station platform they validate a ticket first. That summerises it all ;)

Haha quite ironic. Did they ever try putting it straight in the end? Some Japanese guy was going to do that right?

I wouldn't say it's "weak", but not as big as in France. If you want to see a weak protesting culture come to Costa Rica. Hahaha ahh yeah that sounds very German :lol: :) .

Haha you're not going to get shot in the US unless you live in the bad part of a big city. Or a military base where someone doesn't want to get deployed, apparently.

Most of the country is quite nice, and universities outside of the cities tend to have their own "college towns," as we call them. Cornell is in Ithaca, NY, which is like, one of the nicest, safest cities in the US. Also not far from Toronto and Ottawa (3 and 5-6 hours drive, respectively). Closer to Toronto than NYC (4 hours) or Boston (7 hours).

It's just a BIG country. It doesn't seem like everywhere is that different at first, but it really is... take it from someone who's lived in New York, Florida, Illinois and Puerto Rico (which is only technically part of the U.S., in reality it's in a different dimension of its own).

Haha you're not going to get shot in the US unless you live in the bad part of a big city. Or a military base where someone doesn't want to get deployed, apparently.

Most of the country is quite nice, and universities outside of the cities tend to have their own "college towns," as we call them. Cornell is in Ithaca, NY, which is like, one of the nicest, safest cities in the US. Also not far from Toronto and Ottawa (3 and 5-6 hours drive, respectively). Closer to Toronto than NYC (4 hours) or Boston (7 hours).

It's just a BIG country. It doesn't seem like everywhere is that different at first, but it really is... take it from someone who's lived in New York, Florida, Illinois and Puerto Rico (which is only technically part of the U.S., in reality it's in a different dimension of its own).

:lol: military base, kind of funny but still sad.

Yeah yeah I know, I've been to various places and not being shot at all. Not even arrested! :p But please, let me be paranoid :( ;) .

I admit that NY City is one of the most unique/beautiful cities I've ever been to. Ahh I still remember Kinokuniya (http://bookweb.kinokuniya.co.jp/indexohb.cgi?AREA=03) bookstores. Paradise on Earth for me, really.

Oh you lived in Puerto Rico? I guess most people from "continental" U.S. never go there. My uncle (from CR) once lived there for a year for all his family, but for some reason came back.

Yeah it happens like that here. Even though CR is a small country it takes a lot of time to get to the "outer" provinces because of the mountains, i.e. you go around the mountain and that takes time. The major universities are in the "Central Valley", so most people who live in the outer areas have to get a room. Universities (public ones, at least) offer scholarships depending on how poor you are. If a student has scholarship 11, that means that the Uni pays everything for them (rent —if necessary—, transportation, classes, books —copies—, food) and will actually give them money.

So exactly how expensive is it?

the avarage price is about 1000 euro each year for the university of Pisa.
books are really expensive too, sometimes they can cost also 200-300 euro each (i'm speaking mostly for scientific subjects)

in Pisa there's also a special school called La Normale. if you enter there you have everything payed, taxes, books, you're offered a room in the school.
but it's very hard to enter there, 'cause there are heavy entrance texts, about more than 1000 students every year try to enter the school but there's place for only 30 people. if you enter this school you have to follow the normal courses at the university, you're a regular student at the public university, but you have to do a certain number of exams every year (thing you're not forced to do in regular courses), and maintain at least an average vote of 27 out of 30 or you will be kicked out of the school. then you have to follow also some extra courses. but if you end up this school you have very good possibilities to find a job and above all to continue to work for the univeristy

I'm 4 hours from Vancouver, BC and I've been there lots, so I could have recommended places to go there.

I don't know about Toronto or Montreal however.

Hehe wel obviously, you live in Seattle! :p I told my dad I wanted to go to Vancouver but he said I;d have to pay for the ticket, so nope I can't because I'll buy a new computer. Actualy flying from CR to Toronto is the same as from Toronto to Vancouver haha.

I've been to Toronto many times, Québec several, but never too Montréal :( , so I'm really looking forward to practising my horrible Français hahaha.

Hehe wel obviously, you live in Seattle! :p I told my dad I wanted to go to Vancouver but he said I;d have to pay for the ticket, so nope I can't because I'll buy a new computer. Actualy flying from CR to Toronto is the same as from Toronto to Vancouver haha.

I've been to Toronto many times, Québec several, but never too Montréal :( , so I'm really looking forward to practising my horrible Français hahaha.

It still sounds like a cool trip!

Did you know that you can go from Seattle to Vancouver, BC using only public transportation buses and trains? I did it, too - takes about 10 hours, you have to leave your house at 5am, and also involves a mile walk, but it can be done!

It still sounds like a cool trip!

Did you know that you can go from Seattle to Vancouver, BC using only public transportation buses and trains? I did it, too - takes about 10 hours, you have to leave your house at 5am, and also involves a mile walk, but it can be done!

Well yeah, you can get a bus anywhere, it's not just as fast. A train or bus from Toronto to Vancouver would take about four days :zombie: , a plane: Five hours.

I'm too lazy and drunk to read all the posts I've been missing no this forum.
I finished teh first version of my thesis and now I'm free for a few days. So I had to go get some beeres and play table-football with some friends. :kickass:
I'm going to Paris on 21st, anyone wants to join? :D
I hope everything is ok with you guys, I will try to be more active in the forum from now on.

Well yeah, you can get a bus anywhere, it's not just as fast. A train or bus from Toronto to Vancouver would take about four days :zombie: , a plane: Five hours.

I should be more clear. By 'public transportation', I mean the city and regional buses. There's 3 times a day that all the buses sync up, and you can catch them, one right after the other, at the various bus stops.

So, yeah. Literally takes 9-10 buses, but it can be done. And, it takes less than $20 to boot.

I should be more clear. By 'public transportation', I mean the city and regional buses. There's 3 times a day that all the buses sync up, and you can catch them, one right after the other, at the various bus stops.

So, yeah. Literally takes 9-10 buses, but it can be done. And, it takes less than $20 to boot.

Ahhhh OK. That's pretty awesome, even more because it costs less than $20. But how long does it take? And what happens if you miss a bus? :zombie:

Ahhhh OK. That's pretty awesome, even more because it costs less than $20. But how long does it take? And what happens if you miss a bus? :zombie:

I'm friends with massive transit geeks, so they did the trip before and blogged it. They also did a schedule, which I downloaded and printed out to follow.

Total time was about 10 hours, but that included hitting up a coffee shop in Blaine, WA for a break. And, if you miss a bus, you have to wait for the next one! (I also had the cell number for a friend who promised to get me if I became stranded. Luckily, I didn't need that.) The most important bus was the one from Bellingham to Blaine, WA - that one only runs three times a day. You miss the last bus of that trip, and game over.

Here's the blog post on it: http://seattletransitblog.com/2009/08/17/seattle-to-vancouver-on-public-transit/

Here's my Flickr photo set of the trip. They're not in order, but you get to see what was involved in it: http://www.flickr.com/photos/42904676@N00/sets/72157622563836854/