Alec's Tavern : The Frost Blast

I should be more clear. By 'public transportation', I mean the city and regional buses. There's 3 times a day that all the buses sync up, and you can catch them, one right after the other, at the various bus stops.

So, yeah. Literally takes 9-10 buses, but it can be done. And, it takes less than $20 to boot.

Rent a car for a day! It'll be a little more expensive but it'll be less than $100. Unless you're under 26 and don't have insurance.

Rent a car for a day! It'll be a little more expensive but it'll be less than $100. Unless you're under 26 and don't have insurance.

Or you don't have a driver's license, like me. I can't drive due to being visually impaired. My eye muscles can't adjust quickly enough to changes in light, so I get dazzled instead. And even with sunglasses, I can't see well on sunny days.

It's part of the Dystonia/Spastic Paraparesis issues I have.

And the trip was *fun*!

laughing_octopus.jpg

It's all so fucking hilarious!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Or you don't have a driver's license, like me. I can't drive due to being visually impaired. My eye muscles can't adjust quickly enough to changes in light, so I get dazzled instead. And even with sunglasses, I can't see well on sunny days.

It's part of the Dystonia/Spastic Paraparesis issues I have.

And the trip was *fun*!

Yeah... impairments are funny.

what kind of problem do you exactly have?
i'm having some problems too with my eyes, and i'm wondering if they are similar. i've problems to adjust quickly, but not with light, mostly with movement, for example if i'm driving. the doctor says it's nothing, just an adjustment difect, but it's starting to be boring, especially at night.
i feel like i'm continuosly trying to focus the things i'm looking at. like a photocamera which tries to find the right focus and moves its lenses forward and back. well it's a strange phenomenon, it's not easy to explain with words.

what kind of problem do you exactly have?
i'm having some problems too with my eyes, and i'm wondering if they are similar. i've problems to adjust quickly, but not with light, mostly with movement, for example if i'm driving. the doctor says it's nothing, just an adjustment difect, but it's starting to be boring, especially at night.
i feel like i'm continuosly trying to focus the things i'm looking at. like a photocamera which tries to find the right focus and moves its lenses forward and back. well it's a strange phenomenon, it's not easy to explain with words.

Hmm no idea what you have, but you probably need new glasses :p .

I, finally, today, handed in my thesis. I'm proud, 90 pages + ca. 300 of appendices :OMG: . It was for me to believe that I wrote so much, and I'm thinking of publishing it. Maybe some journal in the US will accept it, or at least one here.

Cheers to me! :kickass:

I, finally, today, handed in my thesis. I'm proud, 90 pages + ca. 300 of appendices :OMG: . It was for me to believe that I wrote so much, and I'm thinking of publishing it. Maybe some journal in the US will accept it, or at least one here.

CONGRATS!!

I'm looking at Continuing Education classes I want to take - as much as I'd love to study Theology and Psych, I still need to eat. And I like being a geek. So, I'm (for now) diving into the fascinating world of Database Administration and SQL. Plus, work will pay for most of one class, so bonus.

That's great news, Defiance.

If all goes well (that is, if I don't screw up my mid-terms and final exams, and succesfully finish a full semester of internship) I'm hoping to get my bachelor of Science degree next summer. Although there are only a few students each year who managed to finish this study, Applied Physics, without some sort of delay, so I'm hoping for the best but won't be surprised if I have to take a few courses again next year :)

CONGRATS!!

I'm looking at Continuing Education classes I want to take - as much as I'd love to study Theology and Psych, I still need to eat. And I like being a geek. So, I'm (for now) diving into the fascinating world of Database Administration and SQL. Plus, work will pay for most of one class, so bonus.

Thanks a lot!!! :)

Education classes? Like pedagogy and stuff? Please tell me you're not studying that :( .

skål! :kickass:so what are you gonna do now?
i was so done with studying after 8 years of uni's, schools and colleges, i spent a whole year after graduating doing nothing :loco: i was just happy to be rid of it all and enjoying my freedom!

I guess "skå" is congrats or something, right? Because I translated it and I got "CRS" as a result, which could be Catholic Relief Services hahaha.

Well two weeks ago I registered the English-Spanish translation master's, a pretty prestigious and good one I must admit (first one in Central America). Well I've only been studying for six years hehehe maybe I should take a break sometime. Then again, I love suffering (to some extent) when I work on projects and with incompetent tutors, I don't think I'll ever stop studying. But it's true, maybe I should take a year off when I finish the translation M.A., just for health's sake :p .

That's great news, Defiance.

If all goes well (that is, if I don't screw up my mid-terms and final exams, and succesfully finish a full semester of internship) I'm hoping to get my bachelor of Science degree next summer. Although there are only a few students each year who managed to finish this study, Applied Physics, without some sort of delay, so I'm hoping for the best but won't be surprised if I have to take a few courses again next year :)

Thank you very much! (All, really! :kickass:) I think in general, in every country, it's somewhat difficult to finish a programme without any sort of delay. But Applied Physics sound excellent, I would love to study that. I am one of those rare cases of English teachers who are also good and like Math. I love physics too, but I would love to study pure math, just like my dad (who's one of those crazy math geniuses hehe). Sadly enough, my Uni doesn't have pure math as an option, only math teaching, which I don't want. Although having a degree in Math and English would be a killer combination hehe :devil: .

i've just bought my first pair of glasses 3 days ago. the problem isn't that i don't see well, those glasses have lens of 0.25 diopter and i have to wear them only when i read or stay in front of the pc to relax the eyes, the matter is that also with the glasses i feel the same problem :(

congrats !!!!!!!!!!!

skål is similar to the german prosit if i'm not wrong. can be translated with "cheers" "your health" "chin-chin"

I guess "skå" is congrats or something, right? Because I translated it and I got "CRS" as a result, which could be Catholic Relief Services hahaha.
:lol::lol: oh man i had to laugh so hard on this one!! sorry :oops: i thought all metalheads knew what skåL means :p >> norwegian/swedish/danish for cheers :kickass:

Thank you very much! (All, really! :kickass:) I think in general, in every country, it's somewhat difficult to finish a programme without any sort of delay. But Applied Physics sound excellent, I would love to study that. I am one of those rare cases of English teachers who are also good and like Math. I love physics too, but I would love to study pure math, just like my dad (who's one of those crazy math geniuses hehe). Sadly enough, my Uni doesn't have pure math as an option, only math teaching, which I don't want. Although having a degree in Math and English would be a killer combination hehe :devil: .
I know the feeling!!:D
Math is what i started my education with when i was 17!! i was the best math pupil in my high school (even got sent to a "math olympics" once to represent my school, though i didn't win anything). So everybody told me i should go study math in the university, so i did. It was also my only chance to get into a uni because there was enormous competition (like 6-7 people per 1 student seat). That's why the exams were extremely hard and the only chance i got to enter a uni was with math! i passed the exams with 9.5 points out of 10 and felt like i could rule the universe :devil:

Unfortunately after a month or so of classes i noticed that math of the university level is something completely different than school's math... :(
oh well i would have probably survived and graduated with mediocre grades, if it wasn't for... Programming!! i could handle math, but coding packman-like games in pascal in DOS (mid 90's) in the first semester was really beyond my abilities! :( so after barely making it into the second semester i decided to switch faculties and go study... Sociology :D it felt like making an U-turn!
After all i didn't finish that one either because i dropped out because of a huge conflict with the history teacher...

Anyway, i wish i finished that math grad, it's really something i enjoyed... :cry: stupid programming ruined it all...

i've just bought my first pair of glasses 3 days ago. the problem isn't that i don't see well, those glasses have lens of 0.25 diopter and i have to wear them only when i read or stay in front of the pc to relax the eyes, the matter is that also with the glasses i feel the same problem :(

congrats !!!!!!!!!!!

Grazie!! Oh well that's weird :p .

skål is similar to the german prosit if i'm not wrong. can be translated with "cheers" "your health" "chin-chin"

AHHHHH "skåL". That explains everything hahaha :lol: .

:lol::lol: oh man i had to laugh so hard on this one!! sorry :oops: i thought all metalheads knew what skåL means :p >> norwegian/swedish/danish for cheers :kickass:

I know the feeling!!
Math is what i started my education with when i was 17!! i was the best math pupil in my high school (even got sent to a "math olympics" once to represent my school, though i didn't win anything). So everybody told me i should go study math in the university, so i did. It was also my only chance to get into a uni because there was enormous competition (like 6-7 people per 1 student seat). That's why the exams were extremely hard and the only chance i got to enter a uni was with math! i passed the exams with 9.5 points out of 10 and felt like i could rule the universe

Unfortunately after a month or so of classes i noticed that math of the university level is something completely different than school's math... :(
oh well i would have probably survived and graduated with mediocre grades, if it wasn't for... Programming!! i could handle math, but coding packman-like games in pascal in DOS (mid 90's) in the first semester was really beyond my abilities! :( so after barely making it into the second semester i decided to switch faculties and go study... Sociology :D it felt like making an U-turn!
After all i didn't finish that one either because i dropped out because of a huge conflict with the history teacher...

Anyway, i wish i finished that math grad, it's really something i enjoyed... :cry: stupid programming ruined it all...

Ahh pity you didn't finish neither. Damn DOS! :p

But that was quite the change, from Math to Sociology! I want to study that, quite interesting and very related to linguistics (although I guess most things that end in -ology can be related to linguistics :p ). For this semester I read [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Language-Culture-Identity-Ethnolinguistic-Sociolinguistics/dp/0826486290/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258417376&sr=8-1"]this book[/ame], it's a bit related to sociology although I must admit it was quite heavy and I didn't finish it due to lack of time.

On a totally different note, I've been wanting to buy a man "dress" for some time. Problem is, I don't know what the bloody heck is the specific name of the dress. It's kind of a leather one, long, and, well a dress, like the ones women wear, only for men. The vocalist from Finntroll (Vreth, if it's still him) uses one (and many other folk bands I guess).

Basically like this one:
finntroll6.jpg

Help me! What's the name and where can I buy one?

do you really want a leather one? or just something like this?
3807674729_a3ae7f2ca6.jpg

(that's my bf in his cyber outfit :p )

i believe it doesn't really have a name... I saw it being called a kilt and simply men skirt or long skirt. Here is an dutch webshop for ex. but i guess you would need something closer to where you live :p A decent goth/cyber/metal clothing shop should have it ;)

do you really want a leather one? or just something like this?
3807674729_a3ae7f2ca6.jpg

(that's my bf in his cyber outfit :p )

i believe it doesn't really have a name... I saw it being called a kilt and simply men skirt or long skirt. Here is an dutch webshop for ex. but i guess you would need something closer to where you live :p A decent goth/cyber/metal clothing shop should have it ;)

Hello Zina's bf :wave: :)p).

But that looks more like baggy pants, is it really like a skirt? I want the leather one, but yeah kilt is exactly what I'm looking for, the search on e-bay gave the results I wanted. Bedankt!

Thanks a lot!!! :)

Education classes? Like pedagogy and stuff? Please tell me you're not studying that :( .

Nono. Not planning on becoming a teacher.

In the US, 'Continuing Education' classes are classes given by a community college or university that are open to the public. They're often in the evenings or weekends, and they're non credit classes - so they're also not graded. Often, they're classes in either recreational activities (I took two classes in Drawing and Watercolor earlier this year), or for Professional Development.

Since I'm already in Software Engineering, I want to take some more classes in other software subjects to increase my skills and employability. There's one school in the Seattle area that has excellent Cont. Ed. software classes. Some schools offer certificates in certain programs. Again, they don't mean anything academically, but they help in the work world. If I like my first SQL class, I could go forth and get a certificate or two in something like Database Administration and Programming, and that would increase my desirability as a geek to other employers a lot!

I've taken classes in the past on Technical Writing and Editing, and they were really useful.