All right dudes, what new gear are you getting for christmas?

I have an RR24 and the floyd on that feels exactly the same as one I bought to replace a cheap jackson floyd when the knife edge fucked up, so I don't see the step up in quality myself.

a lot of the whole "OFR or bust" thing is ridiculous. Schaller and Ping both make Floyds just as good as the OFR - if not better, according to John Suhr, who only uses the Schaller version on his guitars. So long as its not a TRS or crap licensed floyd you'll be fine unless you want to impress people with a completely pointless and expensive bridge change.

Oh I agree there are others that are good besides the OFR (the aforementioned Schaller, Ibanez Edge series/ZR, etc.) - but keep a licensed low-end Jackson, ESP, or Peavey bridge as far away from me as possible! :ill:

a lot of the whole "OFR or bust" thing is ridiculous. Schaller and Ping both make Floyds just as good as the OFR - if not better, according to John Suhr, who only uses the Schaller version on his guitars. So long as its not a TRS or crap licensed floyd you'll be fine unless you want to impress people with a completely pointless and expensive bridge change.

Yep Schaller etc do make great Floyd versions, however I broke my Jackson version quite easily and it felt very unresponsive and weak generally, I class Schaller and those other top floyd makers as "Original", original means quality in my book, even if its not the original company ironically enough. Id easily settle for a Schaller bridge however as Metaltastic said, keep those low end pieces of garbage away from me. Which is why I replaced my Jackson floyd, not to impress but to gain more reliability and playability from it

Sweet dude, I have such a boner for the grain of ash, I really want an ash top on my custom guitar when my ship comes in (years and years down the line :D)

looks like i'm scoring a little bit of stuff this year...finally ordered some more RAM for my PC yesterday, and i'll probably snag a pair of senn. HD280's today as well

Just an FYI schaller is floyd, they've been making them for a long time now. And still make OFR's and Schaller floyds I think. It's the Gotoh bridge suhr uses. I still prefer the orig OFR (none of this korean stuff on the rr24's although its pretty much fine) but the gotoh is up there in the same level. I'd be replacing ping or anything else on any guitar with good wood. Gotohs have a brass sustain block and pretty good design, but the ofr I have resonates and attacks so much better.

Just an FYI schaller is floyd, they've been making them for a long time now. And still make OFR's and Schaller floyds I think. It's the Gotoh bridge suhr uses. I still prefer the orig OFR (none of this korean stuff on the rr24's although its pretty much fine) but the gotoh is up there in the same level. I'd be replacing ping or anything else on any guitar with good wood. Gotohs have a brass sustain block and pretty good design, but the ofr I have resonates and attacks so much better.

I have similar experiences. I had a Gotoh Floyd Rose in my Edwards and while it was decent, it didn't hold up to the OFR.

Holy shit dude, nice! What's the condition?

damn near brand new, as far as i can tell

but shit, look on ebay...there's a lot of people slinging brand new pairs for around $70

i was actually about to buy a used pair for $75 from another forum, and thought i'd check out ebay beforehand to get an idea on the prices, and happened to find a brand new listing with a buy it now of $50, so i jumped on it

Sweet fucking hell, after getting a bit larger final paycheck than I thought (well, getting it next week, but anyway) and winning some pocket money in poker, I think I can actually afford the Profire 2626 after all! Not getting it in time for Christmas, but in a couple of weeks. Now I just need to sell my Firepod so I can afford Pro Tools M-Powered 8, too :D

Just saw a used Rg2228... I wasn't supposed to get a new guitar yet, but I contacted the seller and he agreed to drop the price so... Fuck.

Assuming you haven't played one...I would say stay away from that thing. I was stoked to see it come out, but when I played it I was extremely disappointed. Far from what you would expect. For the record, Misha (bulb) is selling his, check his myspace page (I think it's myspace.com/bulbmusic) and look in his blogs, you will see it listed there for sale.

~006