am i the only one?( arcturus reference)

fat bastard

Nov 19, 2004
i pulled out the la masquerade album for a listen(its been a while) and as usual i get hit with the same impression: the musics great, the theatrical feel is awesome and different, but i just cant get into garm on the album(for the most part anyways). he really feels like the weak link here even though i loved him on the previous and following outings. he suits the avant garde feel but i really dont think his delivery in this albums style works as well as it could have. i cant always decide if its his vocal melodies or just how he sings them. he just doesnt sound quite like the vocalist who gets all the acclaim that he does.

there for sure are some great parts on the album. i just think it would have been better maybe if simen was used more in conjunction with garm.

there for sure are some great parts on the album. i just think it would have been better maybe if simen was used more in conjunction with garm.

That would have been great, but Garm's delivery fits with the rest of the music so well. I can just imagine him, the circus ringleader, announcing the show amidst the acrobatics and musings of the other instruments.

Yes, but only as a backing to Garm in a few places. "The Chaos Path", however, is when Hestnaes takes full vocal duties and adds a new dimension to the album. It's the heaviest track, and the best IMO.

Yes, but only as a backing to Garm in a few places. "The Chaos Path", however, is when Hestnaes takes full vocal duties and adds a new dimension to the album. It's the heaviest track, and the best IMO.

i think i agree. ive always loved that tune.

put the album back on to see where i had problems. garms definetly not bad but still not sure. simens backing vocals on the beginning of MofD are perfect when matched with garm. takes a while for me to get into him on this song. great lyrics but the vocal melody seems more designed to be like hes talking at someone more than just singin. he seems to be singin more in "character" than anything. i still prefer him much more on the sham mirrors but his style for sure darkens the atmoshere of this album.

I can see your point to some extent. His style does sound a little forced at times, I think particularly on 'Alone'. It was a poem by E.A. Poe at like all Poe's works, it flows and rhymes very well, and Garm kind of disturbed that flow with his off-kilter timing.

Listening to LMI with headphones can be pretty annoying as you can hear those electronically "enhanced" vocals and some weird noises in the background. I prefer to listen it on the stereo.

I really wish Arcturus had recorded more albums in the style of Sideshow Symphonies (or that they may yet someday). Not that it was necessarily better than the others; but the others are, in general, far too noisy and chaotic for me to stomach at any length of time.

I really wish Arcturus had recorded more albums in the style of Sideshow Symphonies (or that they may yet someday). Not that it was necessarily better than the others; but the others are, in general, far too noisy and chaotic for me to stomach at any length of time.

Sideshow Symphonies was an absolute stinker of an album. The Sham Mirrors wasn't noisy and chaotic by any means; nor was Aspera for that matter.

Thank you for your numerous strong opinions upon the comparative merits of early/late Arcturus, and Garm/Vortex. I see everything in a different light now, thanks to you.

edit: I haven't listened to the Garm albums for a while, but I seem to recall that his vocals were pretty flat, without much range - much like your typical goth band's male vocals. I'd much like to know what makes him one of the greatest metal vocalists of all time.