Amorphis good or not?

Death metal, doom metal, progressive metal, keyboard music, gothic music. I'm not saying it's New York City but I appreciate the degree of diversity it has.

Death metal vocals, doom/goth riffs, and keyboards, on basically all of the songs. You could call nearly any metal album diverse by those standards. Nothing prog about it btw.

Why the caveat? I already said I thought The Karelian Isthmus was their best. I just thought the comment "entirely shit" was stupid when you were obviously generalising their entire catalogue based on Tales alone.

What I've heard of that one was just boring, but fair enough, I didn't read your earlier post and thought you were defending the band on the basis of the million shit albums they released after Tales, and not the one album they released before it.

That was more directed to HBB who seems to think it is representative of the band.

So the first album is representative?

....yea dat's right.
gUI8Au4.gif

Reactions: CiG
Death metal vocals, doom/goth riffs, and keyboards, on basically all of the songs. You could call nearly any metal album diverse by those standards. Nothing prog about it btw.

Also the smatterings of folk elements throughout the album. I mean, you can be that reductionist to the point that literally only a compilation of different bands playing different genres can be called musically diverse. Personally I think that's autistic.

....yea dat's right.
gUI8Au4.gif

1470504791_giphy (1).gif

Also the smatterings of folk elements throughout the album. I mean, you can be that reductionist to the point that literally only a compilation of different bands playing different genres can be called musically diverse. Personally I think that's autistic.

All windowdressing fam

I've heard Elegy more than any of the others because I tried to convince myself that it was a good album, but alas, it wasn't.

There's definitely a goth vibe to a lot of Amorphis's material, but I tend to hear it as part of the background aesthetic--i.e. they mostly sound like a moody folk metal band with faint flourishes of death and doom metal (this is discounting Karelian and Privilege).

And pretty much everything since Skyforger is unlistenable.