Anime Thread

Oct 17, 2005
Kinnear, Wyoming
I know there are some of you that are anime fans. We can discuss anime's here :^D

I just downloaded (in amazing audio and visual quality) the entire season of Ergo Proxy. Anyone else like this series?

The only anime I've ever really enjoyed have been Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop and Afro Samurai. I've also tried watching Trigun (made it through 20 episodes or so and just haven't been able to truck through,) Hellsing (cool concept, but the main broad frustrated me,) and Serial Experiments Lain (got through half of it and just never finished. Pretty cool though.)

Is Ergo Proxy any good? Reading about it on wikipedia and it seems like it could go either way.

I know there are some of you that are anime fans. We can discuss anime's here :^D

I just downloaded (in amazing audio and visual quality) the entire season of Ergo Proxy. Anyone else like this series?

Until you watched Ninja Scroll I won't speak to you. I will also LOL if you watch the first Firt of the North Star. Exploding heads and weird screeches ftw!

Up until L's death, Death Note is my favorite thing ever. I prefer it to any book, movie, show. Including Rome on HBO. I fucking love Death Note. Steve reccomended it to me and I quickly fell in love with it as did several friends I recommended it to. If anyone recommends me a series I end up ranking above Death Note, I will literally mail you $10.

Cowboy Bebop is a good classic but overrated as fuck.

Samurai Champloo was ok.

I watched a Ninja Scroll movie and thought it sucked.

Never gave Bleach a chance.

Ranma was decent.

Naruto and etc all fucking suck.

Claymore was very good but remains unfinished.

The only anime I've ever really enjoyed have been Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop and Afro Samurai. I've also tried watching Trigun (made it through 20 episodes or so and just haven't been able to truck through,) Hellsing (cool concept, but the main broad frustrated me,) and Serial Experiments Lain (got through half of it and just never finished. Pretty cool though.)

Is Ergo Proxy any good? Reading about it on wikipedia and it seems like it could go either way.

Here is the trailer. The storyline is great and it's also visually amazing. I haven't seen them "all" but from the episodes I have seen it really grabbed me into the storyline and character development.

Until you watched Ninja Scroll I won't speak to you. I will also LOL if you watch the first Firt of the North Star. Exploding heads and weird screeches ftw!

Ninja Scroll is old news :p

EDIT: The ending of Ergo Proxy better not let me down or I'm going to cut myself and listen to MCR.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to check out Gurren Lagann. Getting the 1st 9 episodes now. Looks like a funny anime but I'll give it a shot. I've been on an anime binge as of lately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please rate it on a scale of 10 and rate Death Note and Samurai Champloo for comparison.

Death Note > Samurai Champloo

DN get's a 10/10 Champloo get's a 9/10

Champloo was unique on it's own i also enjoyed that show, though I haven't seen enough Champloo to really compare it to Death Note, since I have seen all of Death Note.

Alright I'm out for a bit time to get PAID! :D

(you can't fuck with deathnote!)

I've watched more anime than the most weeaboo of weeaboo's. If it exists, I've seen it.

And none of that dubbed shit, either.

Ergo Proxy is great for a while, but then it tries to be a little too mind fucky. I enjoyed that, but most drop it off at that point. That and the final episode kinda did one of the biggest "FUCK NO" things in anime. Spoiler:

(It introduces a character not ever mentioned before and makes him the big baddy)

Please reccomend me something you know I will like more than Death Note please do this for me Eric. I know I'm a pain in the ass but I'm tired of wasting time with disappointment after disappointment.

I've watched more anime than the most weeaboo of weeaboo's. If it exists, I've seen it.

And none of that dubbed shit, either.

Ergo Proxy is great for a while, but then it tries to be a little too mind fucky. I enjoyed that, but most drop it off at that point. That and the final episode kinda did one of the biggest "FUCK NO" things in anime. Spoiler:

(It introduces a character not ever mentioned before and makes him the big baddy)

Eric make a nice list of shit to watch, I know you have some to recommend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK3ZiYsa7iw

Here is the trailer. The storyline is great and it's also visually amazing. I haven't seen them "all" but from the episodes I have seen it really grabbed me into the storyline and character development.

Ninja Scroll is old news :p

EDIT: The ending of Ergo Proxy better not let me down or I'm going to cut myself and listen to MCR.

I wasn't when I was young and watched anime, that was the underground shit... I forgot that anime has gotten insanely popular since then... I still remember renting the old anime tapes in the back of the store, the craziest shit all dubbed/subbed badly, it was awesome <3

Death Note is really an odd man out, there really isn't anything too similar that's any good. But I can go off from the tangent and reco:

We'll start with the obvious and move from there: If you've never seen Akira, watch it. Right now. Same goes for Gantz. You can stop Gantz at episode 13, everything after kinda sucked outside of the "hey cool, tits and gore" aspect. Paranoia Agent, which I think at one point the Americans bastardized with an awful dub, is very good. The writer/director also did Paprika and Perfect Blue, 2 of the best anime movies to have come out. Ghost in the Shell (OBVIOUSLY) and all media spawned from it (a series, an OVA, another movie, etc.) is also extremely good. Cyber City Oedo 808, if you're into that complete bad ass Sci Fi Cyber Punk shit, is 3 episodes of pure awesome. The Dub is excusable for this one, due to the delivery on the lines being so bad that every line is a joke. That and the added 2000000 uses of the word fuck. Darker Than Black, which aired 2006, is a pretty good one, but it feels lacking of closure. Evangelion, another one, if you haven't seen it? Watch it. THey're currently remaking it, and it's turning out as good/better than the original, but the original is still needed to full grasp. Planet ES is a great one, it's not exactly much action, but about a man who works for a space station, collecting trash. Seriously. Amazing shit. Keeping in space, the recently made Moonlight Mile Season 1 and 2 are beyond grand. Granted, that one starts on earth. It's about a man's journey to beat his friend to the moon. They take different routes to do this, and it goes from there.

That should be a good start? I stuck mostly with Scifi/Cyberpunk action/drama with a little mecha tossed in. If there are any other genres you need, ask.