Anime

I don't know... I've seen Princess Mononoke and a lot of others I don't know the name of. My standard for good animation is Disney, not that I love their stories or think everything they do is great, I'm just referring to the animation and I've never seen any anime that was even in the same league.

Any fans of the Gantz Manga? The Anime is absolute shit except for the large amount of gore, but the Manga is kick ass.

Old Disney I assume?

I don't know what you'd call old. I'm talking about the feature release stuff, not the straight to video crap. To me Princess Mononoke looked like the same level as Hanna Barbara stuff like Scooby Doo. Not as bad as some anime where nothing moves for a minute while the onscreen characters listen to something*, but still not great, so I didn't imagine anyone watched it because of the quality of the animation.

Maybe I'll check out the anti-war one mentioned earlier, that might hold my interest.

* I actually saw this at a friends house the other day. Her kids were watching some anime that I don't know the name of, and literally it was like radio with a slide show, there was so little actual movement on the screen.

I don't get into much of this stuff but I do really like the series Haibane Renmei. I also liked Grave of the Fireflies and Akira.

which is Rurouni Kenshin. Samurai X is just the lame American name

No, Rurouni Kenshin is the name of the series. The OVAs and movie are under the title of Samurai X. I love the series too, but the Trust/Betrayal OVAs are just ... fucking the greatest things anime has offered outside of Miyazaki films.

I love Neon Genesis as well. Great stuff. The Miyazaki movies are highly enjoyable as well. My ex-girlfriend was super into anime so I saw bits and paces of a ton. I saw almost the entire series of an anime called Chobits over the course of a week. It was kind of a cutesy comedy based series but it was not nearly as bad as I expected it to be.

And of course as a young kid I loved DBZ. Not really a high caliber program :lol:

Evangelion is just so fucking mindblowing. The first time I watched the series I was just like "Wow."

Simply amazing. The End of Eva is absolutely heartbreaking. I was quite depressed whilst watching it, so I cried at the end. Bleh.

I have actually seen all the episodes except the last 5 or so. I mean to finish it someday, but every time I want tot I start the series over again ;)

Ok, VERY important question here. When you watch EVA do you watch it dubed or subed?

Anime is gay. If all you've seen is Pokemon and Naruto. Watch some quality stuff like Golden Boy, Neon Genesis Evangelion and movies from Studio Ghibli and you should if there is any intellect inside your head change your mind.

evangelion is pretentious wank for pseudo-intellectual teenagers who think the matrix and donnie darko are deep and philosophical films

Yeah, I like anime, but not that die-hard... a lot of kids here in the Philippines are so much into anime...

anyways, yeah as a Kid also, very much liked...

DragonBall Z
Voltes V
Daimos

After that...

Samurai X
Death Note
GTO
Boys Be (haha!)
Gundam
Slamdunk
Knockout
Ghost Fighter

and others I can't remember...

I used to be real big on anime but my interest switched over to music after awhile. I've been trying to get back into it but haven't found anything that interests me. The last full series I watched was Berserk, which was fucking awesome.

If you're going to come in this thread and bitch about how you think Anime is slightly homosexual, then you're a total mongoloid.

Anyways.

I absolutely love Neon Genesis Evangelion. The psychology behind that show is absolutely brilliant.

As for other shows, I love Cowboy Bebop even more. The characters have depth and there is humour and sadness... mixed together insanely well.

I also enjoy watching Ghost In the Shell and Serial Experiments Lane.

I'm open to any other show recommendations!

As for Miyazaki, he is absolutely brilliant, and his movies are king!

I must agree on all counts, however my personal vote for the greatest Ghibli film was not a Miyazaki one, it was Grave of the Fireflies.

My favourite director is Makoto Shinkai, his work has an incredible personal touch, Voice of a Distant Star is like watching a shortened version of a very personal novel to the author, it was done entirely by him with the exception of the music and the female voice (which was his fiance), nothing compares for emotional depth.