Anime

What is it that you guys like about it? I don't get it. The animation is horrible, the story lines seem to either be about nothing or so over the top that they aren't believable. I think the style of the art is cute, but that doesn't seem like enough to sit and watch it for hours. Maybe someone can explain it to me.

What have you seen... animation styles differ greatly, Otogo Zoshi is absolutely outstanding for animation though it is very arty. To like anime you need to like or at least understand the appeal of comic books, that is essentiall what all anime is, it is a comic book is visual form.

I have to say, I love dubbed. I feel like the English voices have more of a sound I can relate to, or at least that I can enjoy listening to. I guess I'm not a purist, but fuck that.

I'll generally choose dubbed unless the dubbed voice actors are as bad as the ones found in Inuyasha. Fucking hell they're awful. (Not that I'd watch the show anyways, but man if I ever did...)

My favourite director is Makoto Shinkai, his work has an incredible personal touch, Voice of a Distant Star is like watching a shortened version of a very personal novel to the author, it was done entirely by him with the exception of the music and the female voice (which was his fiance), nothing compares for emotional depth.

Agreed. Distant star was excellent. Very moving and epic for being such a short film. I think its short running time only enhances its emotional impact. I assume you've seen his other film 'the place promised in our early days'? Breathtakingly beautiful (one of the best i've ever seen) with a great story as well. Hopefully he comes out with something new soon. :Shedevil:

others:

cowboy bebop
last exile
berserk
grave of the fireflies
rahxephon
noir
spirited away (most Miyazaki tbs)
the vision of escaflowne
now and then, here and there

Agreed. Distant star was excellent. Very moving and epic for being such a short film. I think its short running time only enhances its emotional impact. I assume you've seen his other film 'the place promised in our early days'? Breathtakingly beautiful (one of the best i've ever seen) with a great story as well. Hopefully he comes out with something new soon. :Shedevil:

others:

cowboy bebop
last exile
berserk
grave of the fireflies
rahxephon
noir
spirited away (most Miyazaki tbs)
the vision of escaflowne
now and then, here and there

If you read my previous posts Place Promised is my favourite movie and Grave of the Fireflies is right up there. Though Escaflowne is girly, I am a massive fan of it, not so much of InuYasha which it gets compared to the most but the Escaflowne series is great, stay clear of the movie if you have not already. Spirited Away is a brilliant film, definetely deserved the academy award, though personally I prefer howls and nausica from Miyazaki's films.

To clear something up, while anime is animated and I suppose essentially a cartoon, cartoons are not anime. Anime takes the style and is usually based on Manga, japanese comic books (literal books). Anime can be traditional where it looks most like a cartoon or Live Action or CG (like The Matrix, Azumi or the Appleseed remake) which is debated as to whether or not it is actually anime. Anime is to cartoons like metal is to rock music.

The only case in which I won't choose dubs is when the dubs are absolutely terrible and cheesy, as you said before.

No, because anime is still cartoons while metal isn't rock.

To compare anime to spongebob squarepants is just like comparing metal to rock. It is a massive over-simplification, Metalheads fuss so much over fucking genre debates over different sorts of metal but you dont believe it is possible that there may be different sorts of animations? Metal evolved from rock, if you want to trace its roots back many early metal bands could just as easily be called rock bands and metal itself could be referred to as being a type of rock music. Anime is a form of cartoon, but saying all cartoons are anime is like saying all sci-fi is fantasy or all beer is just beer. It essentially is yes.

Subtitle all the way. Dubbed is almost always terrible. I thought the dubbing on Neon Genesis sucked ass, I couldn't watch even a single episode like that.

Subtitle all the way. Dubbed is almost always terrible. I thought the dubbing on Neon Genesis sucked ass, I couldn't watch even a single episode like that.

NGE is love hate, I personally like it, it all depends on whether or not you can deal with Shinji's whining. Some Anime I definetely will not watch in English, Zaion, Wish You Were Here is a good example of something which improves tenfold in Japanese, however some anime is quite good in English such as Cowboy Bebop and Full Metal Alchemist.

does dragon ball z count because that show use to kick ass!

i like jacking off to hentai/ animated hentai but only when there is risk of getting caught, an empty house just doesnt cut it i like the sense of danger. you know like in a stall at k-mart, or under a throwpillow on the couch while someones on the sofa next to me watching the TV

oh, and also, i dont jack off to hentai.

DBZ counts. I used to watch it all the time on Cartoon Network. I've also seen the entire Dragonball and Dragonball GT series. But DBZ is by far the best of the three.

The DBZ movies are also pretty awesome.