Another half-assed Reaper tutorial

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
Jon (Necromancer197666) PM'ed me about busses and sends in Reaper, and I figured rather than typing out a long annoying procedure, I'd make another video just demonstrating the process - here it is if anyone's interested! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice and to the point. Good work.

I've been considering doing a beat detective one for the guys who aren't so clued into using PT. Showing how to do it both with unlocked BD and manually, without the production kit. Not sure if there's a demand for it though.

I've been considering doing a beat detective one for the guys who aren't so clued into using PT. Showing how to do it both with unlocked BD and manually, without the production kit. Not sure if there's a demand for it though.

Ermz, there defo is! I'd much rather you did it with full multitrack Beat Detective though.

Hey marcus that's great, I was just wondering this myself last night! will watch the video now!

It would be cool if they were all in one playlist in youtube, or a thread here or something. for now we can all enjoy a mixture of reaper tutorials and marcus' dog doing stuff in his youtube profile :)

I would definitely be interested in this. I got PT M-powered recently, and it would really be helpful. I'm fairly new to recording live drums (I've been programming mostly) , so I don't have much experience quantizing a real kit. I've tried it using Reaper with the tab to transient, split, and quantize regions, but I've had trouble getting the OHs to line up correctly with the drums themselves, though it may be easier if the drummer I recorded was any good. I don't have the MP toolkit, I do plan on getting it in the future. But for now, I'd like to at least try BD doing one track at a time, for practice using it, if nothing else.

theres definately a demand for beat detective tutorials and drum editing tutorials in general id say. there seems to be a whole lot of people that can do it, and theres a whole fucking lot of us sat here scratching our heads thinking "where the fuck did they learn how to do that?" because i cant for the life of me find any good tutorials for it anywhere.

lasse did one for cubase though, and i was sat there like "what the fuck? that looks so easy :|" so you should do one for protools ermz! definately

theres definately a demand for beat detective tutorials and drum editing tutorials in general id say. there seems to be a whole lot of people that can do it, and theres a whole fucking lot of us sat here scratching our heads thinking "where the fuck did they learn how to do that?" because i cant for the life of me find any good tutorials for it anywhere.

lasse did one for cubase though, and i was sat there like "what the fuck? that looks so easy :|" so you should do one for protools ermz! definately

Me and digitaldeath put together a Reaper drum editing tutorial a while ago that you should be able to find on the forum somewhere. The concept is the same for all DAWs and it's pretty simple...

1. Group drum tracks
2. Cut at all tracks at the transient of every kick, snare and tom hit (when doing extreme correction at least, you can cut at as many or as few hits as you like really)
3. Quantize new split items to grid, making sure that any item that is shifted to overlap any part of another item doesn't crossfade and instead just cuts off the sound on the previous sample.
4. Extend the start of each item to overlap the previous item by x milliseconds with a crossfade.

With Beat Detective there are 3 main steps. Step 1 is identification of transients which is based on a sensitivity slider. Once you are satisfied with the transients it is catching, you hit a button and ProTools will cut all your drum tracks at those points. Step 2 is Region Conform which is quantization. You set the precision of the quantization (1/4 notes, 1/8 notes, 1/16 notes, whatever is most appropriate for the section) and you can also set some parameters that control how tight to the grid to snap it. Like you can set it so it only quantizes hits that are more than x% off the grid. This is modern metal though, 100% quantization is usually the way to go. Step 3 is Region Smoothing or something, which basically does what I explained before, fills in any gaps by extending the starts of items to overlap with previous items and automatically generates the crossfades.

Reaper has all 3 of these functions. Dynamic Split will split all your tracks at the transients. The "quantize" function with "extend starts of items" set to 0ms works just like the Region Conform operation. Then you quantize again but set the "extend starts" to 5-10ms and this does the Region Smoothing. You can only snap 100% to grid and can't use groove templates or anything, but I've never used that stuff when editing metal drums in ProTools anyways so for me I can duplicate every part of Beat Detective that I actually use 100% in Reaper no problem.

I liked it! Nice tutoring too :)

Can all of these Reaper Tut's from this forum be found somewhere? It would be nice to collect them all in the same place somehow..

Hey marcus that's great, I was just wondering this myself last night! will watch the video now!

It would be cool if they were all in one playlist in youtube, or a thread here or something. for now we can all enjoy a mixture of reaper tutorials and marcus' dog doing stuff in his youtube profile :)

Thanks dudes, and I posted a few others that can be found on my youtube channel; nothing overly complicated, but maybe they'll be helpful! (I guess this one was :))

Thanks dude, to the point is definitely how I roll, and a BD tutorial would be GREATLY appreciated! (especially in what I imagine is your Crocodile Dundee voice :lol: )

Cheers, I never knew there was a routing matrix function.

Also, I never knew Americans used the phrase "piss off" either :D

Haha, yeah, every now and again the situation calls for it :D

I think I'm gonna ask for your voice if I ever want to make a tutorial! :lol:

Ready and standing by! :D

Cool, so there's demand, I just can't work out how to capture the audio coming from the mbox as well as my computer mic, which would be connected to another soundcard. Might have to be a text tutorial *shudder*

great. you should make a tutorial explainning "how to go to the point in tutorials" ;)

Unnessecary, you can just click and drag a send from one track to the recieve in another track

Not required, but the matrix is freaking awesome. Tick everything wherever you want it and you can easily see what is routed where.

I don't think I knew about that whole mono deal fro reamping, I'll have to go check it out now!

Thanks for the entertaining tutorial. Viola.