Anthrax is my favorite band from the big four now.

Social Distortion

The Voice of Reason
Sep 10, 2004
Lahti Rock City, Finland
It used to be Megadeth, but seeing how much better Anthrax were last year and how much more better they are now than the other three, I might as well face it.

Fight Em Til You Can't is better than Headcrusher, World Painted Blood and My Apocalypse combined. I'm more excited for Worship Music than I've been for any Megadeth album. Can't wait for the hopefully upcoming world tour!

Bottom line, they make the other bands look old.

I think I like Anthrax and Megadeth equally,followed closely by Slayer and Metallica come in last. Has anyone heard that live Metallica album Live At Grimey's? James totally phones in the vocals these days.

Fight Em is not a bad song. But far from a classic. The production alone is not up to par with the POT album. It sounds semi unmixed and mastered. I get the excitement for the new Anthrax. But let's take a deep breath and realize that Anthrax really has not been relevant in about 15 years. You can say what you want about Slayer but they dominate live. Anthrax has been playing the same handful of songs live for the past year or so. Time will tell where this band stands.

I think up to the SOWN Anthrax era was very special but am certainly not going to crown them any award as they haven't done anything special in the metal world since then.

I agree with Megadeth, they are boring. Metallica well, they just are the kings of boring and commercial arena crowd pleasing rock. Slayer and Anthrax are certainly my favorite 2 of the big 4. But Slayer has a definite edge over Anthrax at this point.

Bring on Worship Music!

Fight Em is not a bad song etc.

Never liked Metallica, I find Megadeth a bit annoying and I never really got Slayer. And since this is an Anthrax board and all, I have no reservations with stating that I think Anthrax is the best of the lot, regardless of reputation, past genre changes and record sales.

Fight Em is not a bad song. But far from a classic. The production alone is not up to par with the POT album. It sounds semi unmixed and mastered. I get the excitement for the new Anthrax. But let's take a deep breath and realize that Anthrax really has not been relevant in about 15 years. You can say what you want about Slayer but they dominate live. Anthrax has been playing the same handful of songs live for the past year or so. Time will tell where this band stands.

(deep breath)

- POT was 20 years ago, let it go already

- You say that time will tell, yet you already know that the new song is far from a classic?

- It was said that the free download is not the final mix

- Anthrax is relevant right now and that's all that matters

- Slayer can dominate all they want, but four old guys standing still playing songs will always lose to five old guys having fun on stage

Are you seriously debating my personal opinion? You're really trying to prove that I'm wrong?

:lol:

(deep breath)

- POT was 20 years ago, let it go already

- You say that time will tell, yet you already know that the new song is far from a classic?

- It was said that the free download is not the final mix

- Anthrax is relevant right now and that's all that matters

- Slayer can dominate all they want, but four old guys standing still playing songs will always lose to five old guys having fun on stage

Are you seriously debating my personal opinion? You're really trying to prove that I'm wrong?

:lol:

I wasn't aware that the Fight Em download was not the finished song. So I apologize. That is good news as it does sound a bit demo-ish.

I disagree completely about Slayer. I have seen them every tour since South of Heaven and they destroy every band that they play with. Even the recent Jaegermiester tours, big 4 etc Slayer has destroyed the stage.

Yes Anthrax is 'fun' live and all of that. But I will never agree that Anthrax blows them away live because it just simply isn't true.

Not trying to change your opinion, I think it's great that all of the Joey bashers are now appearing to support him and this latest version of Anthrax. I just think its a bit carried away to say that 1 song (fight em) has now put Anthrax back as the best band on the big 4, when in reality this it the first "Anthrax" sounding song in 15 years or so

Bottom line, they make the other bands look old.
Yep, they all go nuts on stage just like they did when they were 20. The other three bands just kinda stand there or slowly walk around. I'm just big on live performances though, when I'm on stage with my band I'm insane like Scott, people like to see that with this kind of music I think. Granted I understand Tom can't headbang anymore, I know if he could he'd be going nuts.

Yep, they all go nuts on stage just like they did when they were 20. The other three bands just kinda stand there or slowly walk around. I'm just big on live performances though, when I'm on stage with my band I'm insane like Scott, people like to see that with this kind of music I think. Granted I understand Tom can't headbang anymore, I know if he could he'd be going nuts.

Slayer even when they were young never were the jump around type of band. They just basically 'stand there' and let the music do the talking and use the lighting to set a dark mood.

There are some bands that jump up and down and run all over the stage like Limp Biskit and they suck.

I have always liked Scott Ian's stage presence. I think Anthrax has a really good stage presence. I even think Joey is really good on stage, interacts with the crowd and moves around a lot. I don't think Rob fits in (image wise) but oh well

At the end of the day it's about the music to me though. If a band is good they are good. They can jump up and down, light fire bombs off on stage but if they aren't good they are still going to suck live.

I like em the most by far, I also like Slayer but they haven't put out anything good since SITA.

I will disagree. I think every album they have put out since then has been good. Some better than others. I think the past 2 albums have been classic Slayer sounding. They may not get the 'hype' they once did. But they are brutally heavy and classic sounding Slayer.

I even thought Divine Intervention was amazing

Yeah me neither, and this is good news. Look forward to hearing the final, final version.

Yep, that is good news, I was a bit worried. It's not that the production is terrible on this download. It just doesn't sound like a professional production. It sounds like your average pro tools recording that just about anyone can do these days. It just doesn't have that 'finished' feel to it. I am sure once it is properly mixed and mastered it will be much better!

Slayer even when they were young never were the jump around type of band. They just basically 'stand there' and let the music do the talking and use the lighting to set a dark mood.

There are some bands that jump up and down and run all over the stage like Limp Biskit and they suck.

I have always liked Scott Ian's stage presence. I think Anthrax has a really good stage presence. I even think Joey is really good on stage, interacts with the crowd and moves around a lot. I don't think Rob fits in (image wise) but oh well

At the end of the day it's about the music to me though. If a band is good they are good. They can jump up and down, light fire bombs off on stage but if they aren't good they are still going to suck live.
To me Slayer's intensity (visually anyway) always came from Tom's violent headbanging which was their staple. That's what made me get into them when I was a kid, I could tell this guy was pissed as was I. He can't do that anymore but their music is still fucking sick so good for them. Scott became my influence when I was 15 and still is, I go nuts like him on stage just because that's what I always aspired to be because of him. Watching these new vids I gotta hand it to Joey he is all over the place sprinting across the stage, everyone flipping out that to me is a show to pay to see. Joey running across the stage, Frank going ape shit, Scott wardancing around, Charlie blowing every other drummer on that tour or any tour away with every beat, and Rob even though not going too crazy, producing the album and playing the SICKEST solo on FETYC and I bet we hear many more sick solos from him on this album. Ideal band? I think so. Very excited.

I don't want to argue, but let me say that onstage energy, in my world, gives huge credibility to almost any Thrash band. I am not a hater, but I agree standing around playing Thrash works out like an oxymoron, and totally misses the point. I don't mind the Big 4 moniker, but IMHO, Anthrax is indeed the "truest" of these bands (regardless past controversies) because when they play live, they "behave" like thrashers. The music must indeed do the talking, but if it's not doing much for the talkers themselves, how can it do much for their audience? Headbanging is part of Thrashing, IMHO. Jumping around is fun. I mean, most of the best, older 80s bands don't headbang hard, but they still do headbang. I understand if it's black/death, etc. where often (not always) people just bob their head. But Thrash is a different animal, and deserves a "little" energy from their performers other than appearing "br00tal." Anthrax was always the most fun of the 4, and now it seems they remain as the best of the 4 to me as well.

Granted, I don't give a crap about the Big 4 moniker anyway, but honestly, Anthrax is better than the other more famous 3 we are talking about. They are the most different, and the most fun.

Just my opinion, and I don't mean any offense in all honesty.

I personally get annoyed with long haired dudes headbanging like 80's glam rock stars. I don't want to see that shit. That dude in Megadeth acts like a chick on stage with his head going back and forth, he looks like he should be in whitesnake or some shit. That ruins it for me.

I think bands that headbang just because it is 'what you are supposed to do' is rediculous.

But the worst thing ever is some dude standing next to you at a show with long hair that headbangs whipping his hair back and forth hitting people infront of him and in back of him. This type of guy you can tell practices his headbanging techniques in the mirror prior to his show.

There is a fine line between being 'cool' and being a glam rock fag

You take it way too personal. :p Headbanging is fun. That's all. If the band really believes that headbanging is good, regardless age, whether you think he's a glam fag or not, let him have his fun. It's not what about you are supposed to do, but Thrash MAKES you headbang, if it's good Thrash. I head bang, and I don't care if you find it a glam fag thing. I don't mind, I do what I believe in, not what I am expected to do "for my age" (I am 36, BTW.) It's just me: if you don't want to head bang because you feel too old (or "mature") for it, that's ok.

Anthrax might actually enjoy being fun, instead of just "pretending" to have fun, you know? (For it seems you think that after a certain age, headbanging/having fun is "not proper" anymore.) People of all ages should be able to jump around and headbang, regardless age-if that's what they enjoy and want. I am tired of metal that's too serious or "musical" for you. Let's have some fun, man. No need to take it as an insult to your preferred bands. If they want to stand around doing nothing, while playing "Thrash," all the power to them. I just find it out of character, much as you find headbanging as "gay" and glammish: just opinions. I clearly typed "no offense", my friend. Have fun bobbing your head; I'll have fun banging my head (it's all good.)

(Some people head-bang because it's the cool, "metal" thing to do... some head bang because they want to, and enjoy the music that way. Even though you may see all headbanging as just somebody trying to be cool, many musicians and fans do it from the heart, which is why I replied to you. That guy in Megadeth might actually do that because he wants to, not to appease some old-school metal fans... that was my point. I play bass, and if I was in a band, you can bet I WILL head-bang; not to appear "cool," but because I ENJOY IT. Again, no offense; I just wanted to defend my POV.)

I wasn't aware that the Fight Em download was not the finished song. So I apologize. That is good news as it does sound a bit demo-ish.

I disagree completely about Slayer. I have seen them every tour since South of Heaven and they destroy every band that they play with. Even the recent Jaegermiester tours, big 4 etc Slayer has destroyed the stage.

Yes Anthrax is 'fun' live and all of that. But I will never agree that Anthrax blows them away live because it just simply isn't true.

Not trying to change your opinion, I think it's great that all of the Joey bashers are now appearing to support him and this latest version of Anthrax. I just think its a bit carried away to say that 1 song (fight em) has now put Anthrax back as the best band on the big 4, when in reality this it the first "Anthrax" sounding song in 15 years or so

Fair enough. You like Slayer more and that's fine by me.

BUT! This has nothing to do with "all the Joey bashers", which I was never one anyway, starting to support him. There is no you versus them. It's about supporting Anthrax. It's about them finally getting their shit together.