Anybody here ever notices this cycle?

Hell Awaits Us All

New Metal Member
Oct 22, 2006
Killing You
I have read some of the older posts and I have repeatedly noticed this cycle

- new posters coming in who listen to some of the "newer" and more "popular" stuff, while the older posters listen to old school/classic stuff
- within a year or two, the said new posters stop listening to the "newer stuff" and are bored by it. They replace the "older" posters who mostly leave the board. Another wave of newbies come to the board at the same time this is happening who like the newer bands

this cycle seems to go on and on and on in this metal community. I saw a thread with "arsis" where mort divine called them "great", 2 years later mort said arsis is nothing noteworthy outisde of one riff. So why do I get shit for having opinions that are always evolving?

i was with you until you said "so why do i get shit"

people get burnt out on stuff. its a logical step to look back when you need a break from the new stuff. and vice versa
~gR~

So why do I get shit for having opinions that are always evolving?

Because you listen to a band once and then declare them 'amazing'. Most shit out there isn't all that great, it just seems like it at first. I suggest giving yourself a 20 listen barrier for a band/album - if you pass that and they still blow you away, and you still feel the need to create a thread about it, you may.

It may be somewhat a dynamic of the age of the people who end up coming here. Younger people are developing their taste and so it is not unexpected that there would be some change there. Also there seem to be people who come here who have only been into metal for a short while. The most readily available "metal" is this melo-death-core stuff, which has an immedeate appeal, but not much long lasting substance. So as those people are introduced to metal with more depth, they may move on.

It's true with me. I'm starting to branch out from metalcore and modern death metal and exploring black metal and older death metal and doom metal. I never even explored doom metal until I got to this forum.

Personally, I'd already discovered most of the music I currently love before coming to the forums. I've listened to a lot of new bands based on what I've read here, but 9 times out of 10 they don't impress me.

I did find out about Electric Wizard and Orange Goblin through recs here, though, so that counts for something. Also, after recently hearing Amorphis's Elegy, I'm guessing they'll catch on for me pretty soon.

I would agree with AchrisK's statement. Also I think even if being on this forum doesn't help directly in terms of recommendations, it does show the world of underground metal to people who don't know it exists. I can only really think of two people who I have gained band recommendations from, but just being here spurred me on towards finding my own niche.

^ I'm pretty sure the only song I really liked off that album was "Leather Rebel". The rest just sounded outlandishly cheesy and not that well-written.

I enjoyed going into a Priest thread a while back and dissing that album, thus initiating a chain of 'wtf noob' and 'how can u call urself a metulhead' comments. It was pretty sweet. :)

how is it humanly possible not to like "painkiller"?

easily one of the best heavy metal albums ever

hell, it's even in my sig, what more reason do you need to listen to it?

You just can't help yourself, can you?

I am not a big JP fan. I liked Screaming and Defenders in the 80's, as well as Unleashed in the East. But at this point the only JP album I see as a must-have is Stained Class.