Anyone up for remixing/remastering a song or two? ...PART 2 !!!

AudioPhile777

Mathew Cohen
ok, so... I left the file uploading to the ftp... hopefully nothing weird happens while I'm at work that would interrupt ...

heres a link to them... they should be up anytime now...

http://www.sneapforum.celtiaproductions.co.uk/AudioPhile777/Nameless_Drums.rar
http://www.sneapforum.celtiaproductions.co.uk/AudioPhile777/Nameless_Vox.rar
http://www.sneapforum.celtiaproductions.co.uk/AudioPhile777/Nameless_GTR&BASS.rar

Also... I used a different amp for this song... see if you can guess which one...

...guitar was only double tracked due to lack of experience when it was done...

Cant wait to hear what is done with this one... :lol: :lol:

DISCLAIMER: I didn't know what I was doing when I recorded this track (or the first one)... I did some weird by most of your standards... have fun with them...

RAR files are corrupt: right guitar and Audio 13_01.wav Audio 14_01.wav

Took a very quick listern to the rest - levels are much better this time!

Off the cuff - bass is way better than the last. Guitar is... better in some ways.

Some feedback if it helps:

Echoes gtr:
Bad = lacks punch because too much dynamics in the low end but none in the mids, lack of cabinet sound (direct sound or amp not sufficiently cranked) so lack of "cab thrum" and associated voodoo...
Good = clarity and edge to the distortion. And I suppose that much low end is useful once you've sat on it with a bandcomp, since you're working on how much to get rid of instead of wishing for stuff which ain't there.

Nameless gtr - chubby but lacks definition. Palm mutes sound a bit pussy, more sense of general dynamics but... is there some noise reduction going on? Less aggressive than the other.

A sound nailing the better elements of both would be pretty kickass IMHO.

Overheads on Nameless sounded very good at a quick listen. Mucho improvement I think!

My mixes will of course be as bad as ever. Thanks for posting these, this should be fun.

...Dual Rec through a peavey cab...
A change from the "industry standard" Peavey through a Recto cab!
Hopefully my mix-so-far won't completely go to pot once I get the other guitar in.
I'm really enjoying mixing this. It's very different to what I'd track so it's forcing me to approach it differently and work outside of my usual box. more so with this song than Echoes.
So my mix will be as shit as ever, but in a different way!
Thanks so much for posting these Mr Audiophile!
:)

A change from the "industry standard" Peavey through a Recto cab!

...it's forcing me to approach it differently and work outside of my usual box...:)

HEY! As long as I my tracking makes you a better mixer, all is good! :lol:

...it's the first time I've ever mixed anything with a temperature, haha.

Already sounds better than mine.:erk:

Posting up samples is actually very humbling... I thought I did a pretty fricken good job with mine... then I hear what you guys do to it...

Bleh... I will work on them and make them sound the way they should... from my perspective anyway... also see if I can't dig up the ORIGINAL drum tracks... before I fucked them with my 1066...

:kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

i'm in the progress of printing some tracks at the mo, i've got my CPU maxed (dual core, no less!) on my new pro tools rig. i miss freeze, lol.

guitars are a bitch though... they lack.. life so to speak, depth.

overheads sound wicked tho.

RAR files are corrupt: right guitar and Audio 13_01.wav Audio 14_01.wav

Took a very quick listern to the rest - levels are much better this time!

Off the cuff - bass is way better than the last. Guitar is... better in some ways.

Some feedback if it helps:

Echoes gtr:
Bad = lacks punch because too much dynamics in the low end but none in the mids, lack of cabinet sound (direct sound or amp not sufficiently cranked) so lack of "cab thrum" and associated voodoo...
Good = clarity and edge to the distortion. And I suppose that much low end is useful once you've sat on it with a bandcomp, since you're working on how much to get rid of instead of wishing for stuff which ain't there.

Nameless gtr - chubby but lacks definition. Palm mutes sound a bit pussy, more sense of general dynamics but... is there some noise reduction going on? Less aggressive than the other.

A sound nailing the better elements of both would be pretty kickass IMHO.

Overheads on Nameless sounded very good at a quick listen. Mucho improvement I think!

My mixes will of course be as bad as ever. Thanks for posting these, this should be fun.

To clear this up... this is stuff i recorded about, shit... July of last year... and Nameless was recorded a month prior to Echoes... and the rest of them for that matter... So, I know its :puke:, but I thought it might be awesome since some people here are dying to practice mixing songs...

i'm in the progress of printing some tracks at the mo, i've got my CPU maxed (dual core, no less!) on my new pro tools rig. i miss freeze, lol.

guitars are a bitch though... they lack.. life so to speak, depth.

overheads sound wicked tho.

Hey CJ,

If you can tell me what the ringing frequency is in the OHs, I'd be grateful... I sucked out 6k and was wondering where the life in my overheads went initially, haha. I can't hear properly right now for the life of me.

Totally agree about the guitars.

I really look forward to hearing what you do with it.

i didnt putz around too much with the OH's, i'm not huge on making 2,000 deep notches on every track that has something that bothers me. lol.

i did however, cut 2.5k on the OH's with a fairly narrow Q and by looking at it, i actually low-passed at almost 12k. chopped it right out, lol.

if i do that, i usually try to make up for that lack of high-end on the vocals and guitars..

hope it helps dude!
Charlie