Are modern emo/metalcore bands the new glam metal?

Was emo like the new glam?

• Yes.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • No.

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • At this point, it's hard to tell.

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
"Twinkly" is just a rough musical descriptor, not much different from "jangle pop" (an established sub-genre). "Depressive suicidal" as redundant and pathetic.

Reactions: EchoForever
Hell no it isn't, glam metal at its best had a great combo of poppy song structure and unique, interesting visual flair with technically impressive musicianship. It was an extension of David Bowie, the New York Dolls, T. Rex, etc. and their stylings into heavy metal. Metalcore, screamo, etc. bands are pseudo-depressive, pseudo-edgy, unoriginal hacks usually bereft of unique or impressive vocals or guitar work who think they're cool or outside the norm simply because they associate themselves with metal and alt culture, but are ultimately just weak, vapid "metalheads" too pussy for something like, say, Autopsy. I know that I just typed one hell of a run-on sentence there, but I don't really give a flying fuck.

hot emo girls cutting themselves in bathtubs need music too

Hell no it isn't, glam metal at its best had a great combo of poppy song structure and unique, interesting visual flair with technically impressive musicianship. It was an extension of David Bowie, the New York Dolls, T. Rex, etc. and their stylings into heavy metal. Metalcore, screamo, etc. bands are pseudo-depressive, pseudo-edgy, unoriginal hacks usually bereft of unique or impressive vocals or guitar work who think they're cool or outside the norm simply because they associate themselves with metal and alt culture, but are ultimately just weak, vapid "metalheads" too pussy for something like, say, Autopsy. I know that I just typed one hell of a run-on sentence there, but I don't really give a flying fuck.

To be fair, the bulk of glam metal's fanbase was, perforce, made up of people who were "too pussy" for something like Possessed or Bathory.

To be fair, the bulk of glam metal's fanbase was, perforce, made up of people who were "too pussy" for something like Possessed or Bathory.
Probably. But there's also the fact that glam wasn't exactly softie crap inall respects. Mötley Crüe had Satanic imagery everywhere and routinely engaged in all sorts of on stage debauchery, sang songs about killing people, etc. These are the guys that made out with the girlfriends of Yakuza mobsters and were arrested by the Japanese police and angrily stood their ground while it was happeing when on tour in Japan without so much as a second thought. Then you've got your groups like W.A.S.P. who tossed raw meat into the audience, tortured half naked women on racks, drank fake blood from skulls, had a frontman with flaming and buzzsaw codpieces, beheaded animal corpses on stage with swords, cannibalized fake fetuses complete with simulated gore after "aborting" it from a mannequin dressed as a nun, etc.

Pussies in what way?
Eh, I don't think they are that much unless you're counting the people who only enjoy the power ballads. W.A.S.P. and Mötley Crüe are far from wussy bands though, they were some of the wildest of their day believe it or not. Dokken too, I mean, for God's sake, they snorted coke off of Freddie Krueger's claws while filming the video for Dream Warriors. Most bands wish they were that metal.

Oh okay.

Because I do agree with you on this. If the measure of "too pussy" is, you didn't get into Possessed or Bathory, then I guess people that preferred classic metal are just as pussy as glam metal fans.

It's a silly line in the sand in my view. I'm no huge defender of glam metal, I like a lot of the first wave albums, but I think criticising anything based on whether it appeals to extreme metal fans is silly and immature.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
Yeah. And as someone who's neck deep into glam, death, and black metal and has been for some time now, they all kick quite a bit of ass when done right. It is exceptionally ridiculous when you consider that that would put people like Alice Cooper, the man who regularly carries out and fondles a live boa constrictor and gets decapitated, hung, and electrocuted on stage night after night, into the phylum of "too pussy". I invite anyone to elucidate to me how this is the stage act and music of a "pussy" after viewing it in its entirety:

Reactions: CiG
Am I a pussy for preferring Hammerheart and Twilight Of The Gods to The Return... and Under The Sign Of The Black Mark, since Bathory was used as an example?

I'm not saying that those former albums are similar to glam, but they're certainly less heavy in an extreme sense and therefore moderate by definition, compared to the latter albums mentioned.