Are there any "cheasy" Symphony X songs?

You guys are making all these valid points, and I agree. I guess on the cheesiness scale I'll give them a mild rating of gouda. Rhapsody gets extra sharp cheddar.

the_satanic_rabbit said:
And I could definitely see a cheesy video for shades of grey. Romeo would be on a mountain top making orgasmic faces during the solo, hair blowing in the wind, and Rod would be standing on top of a car in an alley way with spandex on.

oh the mental picture for that was just too much :lol: Rod Tyler in spandex *shudder*

anyway someone mentioned the song Pharaoh, I had forgotten about that one. Cheese.

dargormudshark said:
Oh yeah, I forgot Pharoah!

Gods of the nile rise to strike you down! :headbang:
Are you kidding? that's one of the most awesome lines in any SyX song. If it was just made up then maybe I'd agree with you, but the entire belief of the ancient Egyptians was that if they desecrated the tomb of a Pharaoh they would be destroyed by the Gods.

That's just an awesome line in my opinion.

SilentRealm said:
p.s. I think we've established we all really have our own opinions on what we consider cheesy. for me its pretty poor, laughable sort of lyrics.

King of Terrors cheesy :confused: come on...

Do you really think SX lyrics are poor and laughable?

the_satanic_rabbit said:
Good point SR, the definition of cheese is really important. For me, it's if I can see an 80's hair band or some wannabee rockstars playing/singing it. (not necessarily being able to play the parts technically)

I must agree with this definition but i find really hard to fit SX on it..

the_satanic_rabbit said:
And I could definitely see a cheesy video for shades of grey. Romeo would be on a mountain top making orgasmic faces during the solo, hair blowing in the wind, and Rod would be standing on top of a car in an alley way with spandex on.

Orgasmic faces ?!! :tickled: Oh man, that was really funny... :D

the_satanic_rabbit said:
Now with that in mind, I could definitely see the Cheese image for Accolade 2. Russel suited up like he was back at Medieval Times. Pinella could be like this evil sorcerer guy. Rullo's the elf, Romeo's the King. LePond is Robert the Bruce.

Hehehe funny... But this lyrics isn´t about some sort of greek battle? :confused:

I don't find anything in the SX catalogue to be as tastelessly cheesy as Manowar or Rhapsody,

Now.. Being the zealot of TRUE metal that I am... I must say, this offends me. Rhapsody is on a whole different level of cheese than Manowar. Manowar is just... a fucking awesome band, and their cheese is intentional. That's a good thing. Manowar isn't really about music all the time.... even though it is a band... I guess that makes little sense... but I have the strangest suspicion that Rhapsody is obliviuos to its cheese. The War Master Kron??? That is automaticaly cheesier than anything about Thor. Thor rules. Warriors of the World is an awesome album, and so is Sign of the Hammer, but Kings of Metal... Jesus. That album rules, and the only cheesy thing on it is... well.... all of the songs. But at least they mean to be cheesy!

This rant was pointless. Oh well. If I earase it now I'll feel like a loser.

Shades of Grey :ill: !??!!?!? Talk about shit! I barfed all over myself the first time I heard that stinking voice crack its way up into the high part of a scale. Christ.

Hmm....after re-listening to Shades Of Grey i detect the slightest tinge of cheese, still a Awesome song though.

The thing with ManOwaR is, it is a bit embarasing when listening to it really loud, and people walk past the window and hear "Kill! Kill! Kill! Kill!" etc.....

Rhapsody's lyrics tell a incredible story.

scanner313 said:
Are you kidding? that's one of the most awesome lines in any SyX song. If it was just made up then maybe I'd agree with you, but the entire belief of the ancient Egyptians was that if they desecrated the tomb of a Pharaoh they would be destroyed by the Gods.

That's just an awesome line in my opinion.

To most people, singing about ancient mythology and Gods is considered cheesey, so I can see why a lot of people think that SX are a cheesey band.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...cheese is not necessarily a bad thing. What would nachos be without cheese?! :p

shades of grey, out of the ashes, pharaoh, egypt (bridge), incantations (verses), dwot (that part around like 11 minutes or so), Odyssey (around 15 minutes or so) = cheesy

I still like all the above songs except Shades of Grey, which is horrible.

the_satanic_rabbit said:
Now with that in mind, I could definitely see the Cheese image for Accolade 2. Russel suited up like he was back at Medieval Times. Pinella could be like this evil sorcerer guy. Rullo's the elf, Romeo's the King. LePond is Robert the Bruce.
Who is Gandalf?

Dude, I love Pharaoh. When I was young and really nerdy, I thought Egyptian mythology ruled. Come to think of it, I still do. "I feel the blood flow through my veins, the life force shines on me again. Let the ritual begin, you will pay for your sins!"

I've realized that I'm completely immune to cheese. My brother and I rock out hard to Rhapsody's "Triumph for My Magic Steel" and don't think twice about it.

the whole chorus of pharaoh is what kills me in the cheese factor.. pharaohs curse upon you, who dares to invade his sacred ground.. etc etc... the song rocks until that part comes in

I think Russ's awesome voice kind of cancels out the cheesiness of the songs... so while the stuff is cheesy, it doesn't really sound so since he's singing it.