Ask Phelice a question (about Bochum)

Dortmund is just the next city to the East of Bochum. The airport is somewhat outside
though. To get from the airport to Bochum HBf (HBf=Hauptbahnhof=main railway station) it
will take you maybe one hour, I guess.
Public transportation is usually quite good in the whole area.
Good place to check out the schedules (they've got buses and local/regional trains):
http://www.vrr.de/en/

Wanna help me out on Frankfurt to Bochum? When I tried, it wouldn't list trains, just stayed on the same page :(

customs and luggage shouldn't take more than 30 minutes max, just go to the airport page and they should have all the ground transportation info that will take you to the train station, once there the ticket machines should be automated and have "english" option, I wouldn't sweat it, local trains usually run several times a day, miss one get on the other

One of the main things is the times those trains run, I have no clue when we will get out of customs :(
First trip abroad...I couldn't be anymore nervous :p

I think for Frankfurt-Bochum you need to try
http://www.bahn.de/international/view/en/index.shtml
This is the site for the German railway (DB=Deutsche Bahn). Including long distance
trains. The VRR site I linked above is just for public transportation in the region where
Bochum lies (which is useful to get around in the area).

But I am not sure you can book tickets that much in advance...but if (or when) they've got
tickets they will offer 'normal fare' and 'savings fare'. The latter of course is cheaper, but
you have to catch exactly the train you are buying the ticket for. If you miss it, there are
no refunds. With the normal fare you can just take the next one. I usually get the cheaper
fare and pick a train which allows for some delay in plane arrival etc.. I might have to wait
some time but you save 50% or more...and that's a lot of beers (which you are allowed to
drink in public, btw :D).

edit: as Tomasz said, for local trains is pretty easy. If you just want to get from the airport
to the city, that's the way to go. Even the long distance ones you could still buy when you
arrive, but then you'd have to pay full price. If you go from Frankfurt Airport straight to Bochum
(or later from the main railway station to Bochum) I would suggest to secure a cheap ticket in
advance.

Customs/immigration definitely isn't as bad as in the States...
and the time you spend there also depends on the amount of smartass-ery you confront
those guys in the ridiculously colored uniforms with... :saint:

I think for Frankfurt-Bochum you need to try
http://www.bahn.de/international/view/en/index.shtml
This is the site for the German railway (DB=Deutsche Bahn). Including long distance
trains. The VRR site I linked above is just for public transportation in the region where
Bochum lies (which is useful to get around in the area).

But I am not sure you can book tickets that much in advance...but if (or when) they've got
tickets they will offer 'normal fare' and 'savings fare'. The latter of course is cheaper, but
you have to catch exactly the train you are buying the ticket for. If you miss it, there are
no refunds. With the normal fare you can just take the next one. I usually get the cheaper
fare and pick a train which allows for some delay in plane arrival etc.. I might have to wait
some time but you save 50% or more...and that's a lot of beers (which you are allowed to
drink in public, btw :D).

Customs/immigration definitely isn't as bad as in the States...
and the time you spend there also depends on the amount of smartass-ery you confront
those guys in the ridiculously colored uniforms with... :saint:

I heard you can buy beer from vending machines there? That true?
Oooo ok, so we have to be good too, damn. There goes my fun when I land. Until I get to harass Gazza of course..I'm scared..this is crazy, where's the train? where's the beer? Are we there yet? I'm hungry, I gotta pee, Are we there yet?

customs and luggage shouldn't take more than 30 minutes max, just go to the airport page and they should have all the ground transportation info that will take you to the train station, once there the ticket machines should be automated and have "english" option, I wouldn't sweat it, local trains usually run several times a day, miss one get on the other

Oh sweet, thanks! :headbang:

Dortmund is just the next city to the East of Bochum. The airport is somewhat outside
though. To get from the airport to Bochum HBf (HBf=Hauptbahnhof=main railway station) it
will take you maybe one hour, I guess.
Public transportation is usually quite good in the whole area.
Good place to check out the schedules (they've got buses and local/regional trains):
http://www.vrr.de/en/

Awesome thanks for this man. :kickass:

Can anyone give any more info on any of the accomodations listed by the booking company HERE ?

Prices, distance from the venue etc.

OR just recommend somewhere else.

Appreciating everyone's help on these forums :kickass:

Tina, I would really enough some sightseeing while I am there....any neanderthal caves nearby? Maybe old battlefields?
My friend was telling me last night about something called Austrian Rum, says it's red and taste like butterscotch...mmmm. He also said it was like a 160 proof. Ever heard of it?

Been away for a while, now trying to catch up. So: Do you even know where the original Neandertal is located? You guessed it - very near Bochum. In a small place named Erkrath-Neandertal. Near Düsseldorf. We can visit it if we have time, and go on cave-seeing. Old battlefields will be here a lot, but most likely not recognizeable anymore. Gonna look up some information about that and ask around.
And no, I have never heard of Austrian Rum. It sounds awful :D Let me try it ^^

Looks like I'll be flying into Dortmund. Just wondering if someone can tell me how easy it is to get to Bochum from Dortmund and how long it will actually take?

I'm guess it's gonna have to be a train journey.

Just like to know for when I'm going home how much time to leave myself to get back to the airport really.

Thanks

Very easy ;)
You hop on the bus (or the airport shuttle) to the staion, get on the train and get out in Bochum.
Takes 57 minutes to 1:24 hours.

Really guys, you don't have to worry about travelling in the Ruhrgebiet, you can get everywhere from anywhere.
OK, I have to admit, I am a bit proud of my home now :D

Been away for a while, now trying to catch up. So: Do you even know where the original Neandertal is located? You guessed it - very near Bochum. In a small place named Erkrath-Neandertal. Near Düsseldorf. We can visit it if we have time, and go on cave-seeing. Old battlefields will be here a lot, but most likely not recognizeable anymore. Gonna look up some information about that and ask around.
And no, I have never heard of Austrian Rum. It sounds awful :D Let me try it ^^

Ok, I just came...had to get a towel to clean my chair before I could reply! I knew the caves were on the western side of the country but wasn't exactly sure where. (Town name) You are about to make a geek's dream come true. Are those caves open to the public? I know there's caves in France (Lascaux) with beautiful early human paintings. I know those are closed to the public. Oh man, I'm gonna be in heaven in Germany!!!!

Very easy ;)
You hop on the bus (or the airport shuttle) to the staion, get on the train and get out in Bochum.
Takes 57 minutes to 1:24 hours.

Really guys, you don't have to worry about travelling in the Ruhrgebiet, you can get everywhere from anywhere.
OK, I have to admit, I am a bit proud of my home now :D

Thanks for this you make it all sound so simple and easy :D

http://reisen.ciao.de/Hotels_im_Ruhrgebiet_614929_5-bochum

Unfortunately only in German, but that will be a good exercise, huh? :lol::lol:

That's my weekend gone then! *gets out German phrasebook* :p

Has anyone ever heard of the Rosetta Stone language learning series? It's supposed to make you fluent in a new language within a couple of weeks. Anybody know if it actually lives up to the hype?

I don't really know any of you guys, but hopefully that will change once I get there..

Anywho, would any of you know how far the Ramada hotel is from the Zeche club?

Thats the hotel myself and my friends are staying, and I was just curious.

Cheers!

Hauk

I don't really know any of you guys, but hopefully that will change once I get there..

Anywho, would any of you know how far the Ramada hotel is from the Zeche club?

Thats the hotel myself and my friends are staying, and I was just curious.

Cheers!

Hauk

Add your name to the list man! And a picture to Own Pictures. I think we may do a forum lunch (maybe, if everyone is not too hungover) before the show!

Cheers! :kickass: