Ask The Band Thread

If you could be any mythical creature what would you be?

You can tell what how sinister someone is by what sort of creature they would like to be!

Kobi,
do you like some classic(s) band (s) of the 70´s?
My favorites are Nazareth, Led Zeppelin, Kiss, Uriah Heep and Black Sabbath (especially with Dio on vocals). I like some progressive stuff too, like early Genesis, Yes, Kansas and Jethro Tull.
I imagine that a OL cover for Zeppelins´s "Kashmir" will be awesome! What do you think about it?

Cheers,

Deni

Hi, I'm a pretty new fan. I've had Mabool for a couple of months now. Listened to it a few times when I first got it, like it, then put it away for a while. Then, just last night, I felt like listening to it again (because I was studying my Arabic at the time and it seemed apt), and this time I was blown away. So now Orphaned Land has jumped onto my 'favorite bands' list. And now I guess I'll ask some questions:

1. You like Opeth; what do you think of Katatonia? And Blind Guardian?

2. Do you yourself know Arabic? And if so, how similar is it to Hebrew?

3. Any chance of touring in America soon?

Hebrew is the oposite of arabic in all the ways. exept that both hebrew and arabaic are writting from the right to the left.
Though both hebrew and arabic are driven from the ancient aramaic language, they are practically totally diffrent.

- I like a lot of bands from the 70's, I think it was the golden years for Rock music, I like the bands you mentioned + Pink Floyd, King Crimson and many more...

- I like Opeth very much, same for Katatonia and Blind Gurdian.

- I know a bit arabic.

- I hope we will come to the U.S.A in 2005 and before that to South America.

I had a lot of funny stories, one of them was after some recording day 10 years ago when we recorded Sahara, we were so tired and me and Uri (our bass) started to argue and in a minute we were hitting eachother, the whole argument was "who will pick up the EMP" - we promised that we will kill one another and the day after we were ok again :)

Ko_B said:
We will anyplace that will invite us and will take care our minimal needs!

TorontoTorontoTorontoTorontoTorontoTorontoTorontoTorontoTorontoToronto
TorontoTorontoTorontoTorontoTorontoTorontoTorontoTorontoToronto
TorontoTorontoTorontoTorontoTorontoTorontoTorontoTorontoToronto
TorontoTorontoTorontoTorontoTorontoTorontoTorontoTorontoTorontoTorontoTorontoTorontoToronto
TorontoTorontoTorontoTorontoTorontoTorontoTorontoTorontoTorontoTorontoToronto

What is that written on the inner side of each of the triangles representing the different religions in the "Triangle of the Three"? Just something from the songs or anything special? A very nice idea.

Wow, lots of questions. OK, I'll try to answer some...

In 10 years from now I'll be doing what I love, exactly like now, hopefully running on stage with Orphaned Land, mastering the instruments and experiencing new levels of this journey called music.

The way I earn money is by my occupation - Software/IT.
I've been working in the IT industry for 10 years now and it keeps me very interested as well as payed enough to provide myself and my family with what we need.

The education system in Israel is so-so - we do learn english at school, but not everybody go to university. I am the only academic scholar in O.Land, actually, I'm in the middle of my MA studies.
We study local literature, but study history of other countries such as WWI, WWII etc. Religion is not taught at school, although private orthodox schools teach religion classes.

Kobi is more into questioning of belief and religion and existance, true.
That is not to say the others aren't.
We divide our work and effort. for example, I write most of the music in the band.
This doesn't mean others are not contributing, Matti is a good example of that.

In creation of mabool we explored different channels of academical environment to read as much info as we could, but not more than that.

I have a "normal" family, 2 sisters and me (eldest).

As for sports - I especially like soccer (the european football)
I normally use D'adarrio strings, a 9" set and a 11" set in recordings of rhythm.

I use an Ibanez 540S guitar, with a Dimarzio PAF Pro on the bridge and a Seymour Duncan little 59' neck pickup.

Downloading music contributed a lot to the industry, but also declined profits and worthyness of recording new albums. I don't believe in fighting it too much. I hope O.Land fans buy our CDs because they appreciate the efforts and the result is worth while the payment. I hate it when years of work get exploited. All in all, the industry needs to look into alternative profit models.

The goals for OLand are basically to continue making the music we love, to create harmony between people as well as between tunes, and see to it that unity comes to reality.

Oh, and I had too many funny Or Weird Episodes ...:) non specific..

hope this helps. :wave:

-Yossi

Hey Yossi!

You need come back to Brazil so soon as possible and bring OL to do some shows!
What do you think about it?

Cheerz,

Deni.

Hey guys,
I read an interview in the magazine Metal Maniacs where you guys mentioned that you all escaped from mandatory military duty by declaring yourselves mentally unfit. You stated that your fight for peace was not to be fought with guns but rather with your music. I tought this was one of the smartest thing I had ever heard and I admire you guys a lot for doing all this.
You also said that both Jewish and Muslim people attended to your shows at the same time, which I believe is something quite rare in your country ( correct me if I'm wrong here ). I think this is totally awesome that your shows create an atmosphere where people forget their differences and simply to enjoy the moment together.
Now I'd like to know, do you think that your "battle" for peace throughout your music can do more than simply bringing the people together for the instant of a gig? Do you think it could be a more powerful weapon than all those political pacts that keep failing?
Also, since your audience is probably composed mostly of young adults and teenagers, as is metal in general, do you think that the youth of your country is more concerned about bringing back the peace than the older people are? Are they the real "target" of your musical battle?

Thank you for taking the time to answer and I hope that you will keep on making such great music for a long time.

Hi... I'm new here... I don't know if I can still making questions...

first I would like to congratulate the band cause this is the first time i see a band doing something like that...

I would like to know what happened with the Brazilian Tour in Novembre and when do you plan to come back...
tx a lot

ohh guys NOOOOOOooooooooooo........

I wanted to open this thread, and to ask the band member's alot of questions, but after I finish

my exams, I've finished them today, I didn't write the list yet.

ok, I'll ask some of them, those are easy ones.

1- what do your names mean ??
2- when do you practice ??
3- do you get families, are you married guys ??
4- how old are you guys (I didn'tt dream about asking this to OL at all) :oops: :D thanks alot guys
5- who is Alon Miaskinov, why do you guys always count on him to write lyrics !!
6- is Foloklore "Orphaned Avi" is Avi the drummer ??

the hard ones and they are directed to Kobi, cause he is the tough man who can answer these questions.

1- I want you to tell me more about "Sahara Storm" the song, well there isn't anything that show a will to stop this mad war between relegions, in fact there is something that rages this war more (unless I misunderstand this song).

taken form Sahara Storm

I call the mighty prophet
Taint my sword with blood
Help in my holy "JIHAD"
As I tear, kill and maim
All is done in your name

For me God shall do the same
My faith is left to blame
Even though our God is one
You'll just spill blood
It shall be done

2- how do you see the Holy Land after 10 years form now, how will muslims and jews live togther (I'm really intrested in the way that you look to the future, because that will make it easier to achieve peace between Mulims and Jews, it will put there eyes on a commen goal to achieve)

3- you've read the Quran for sure, tell me about this experience, please.

4- in "Halo Dies (The Wrath of God)" there is a part that wasn't written in the lyrics right after you say :

Short are their days & feeble
Naught but pleasure they adore...

what is it? and there are other missing parts in other songs !! I'm sure

5- is there a jew music, like jew instruments, a certain ways of playing ??

6- and what the splendid black coffie that you make every morning with his pajamas whick is Folklore talking about ??!!

I want to thank you alot for answering the questions in advance :wave:
I can't wait your answer :hotjump:

Supermoi - I think music can clean the soul and the mind of the people, I believe that hearing our music, with all the languages, motives and cultures we use is a musical proof of what happend when you are making peace, our music is colourful, even though we combine motives that usually doesn't get along.
We target our music to everyone who is willing to listen, speaking to the "deaf" will be a waste of time, we hope we do help in our way.

Eru - We hope to cinfirm dates for South America soon, we are still discussing it with some promoters :)

Obey bringer of light -

1- what do your names mean ??
it means the land of planet earth in general, it is also our meanning for the holy land.
We believe that the holy land, washed with blood, turned to be an Orphaned Land, and by the flood it will turn into an Ocean Land.

2- when do you practice ?? We have this reharsal room that we play in Tel Aviv.

3- do you get families, are you married guys ?? Yossi is the only one married, he also have a lovley 3 years old Daughter, the rest are either singles or with girlfriends.

4- how old are you guys (I didn'tt dream about asking this to OL at all) thanks alot guys. We are between the ages of 26-30 years old.

5- who is Alon Miaskinov, why do you guys always count on him to write lyrics !!
Alon is a friend that grew with us in our home towns, we werer always working with him on the lyrics.

6- is Foloklore "Orphaned Avi" is Avi the drummer ??
No, it's Avi Shmilo and he is a king!!!

1- I want you to tell me more about "Sahara Storm" the song, well there isn't anything that show a will to stop this mad war between relegions, in fact there is something that rages this war more (unless I misunderstand this song).
The song is a bit Cynical, we were seeing things from both eyes and thought that it will never end when we wrote this song.

2- how do you see the Holy Land after 10 years form now, how will muslims and jews live togther (I'm really intrested in the way that you look to the future, because that will make it easier to achieve peace between Mulims and Jews, it will put there eyes on a commen goal to achieve)
I hope we'll all leave in peace, I love the arab countries and people, I love the Islam, Jews and Muslims are prisoners of their stupid piliticions, as a religions, Judaism and Islam are much alike, Insahallah 10 years from now, Orphaned Land will play for the 5th time in Syria, Amen :)

3- you've read the Quran for sure, tell me about this experience, please.
Words of Truth.

4- in "Halo Dies (The Wrath of God)" there is a part that wasn't written in the lyrics right after you say :what is it? and there are other missing parts in other songs !! I'm sure.
This is the only part missing - The lord seeks the repentance so he will, so his children may mend their ways and heal.
Why it's missing? it's a mystery to me too till this moment.

5- is there a jew music, like jew instruments, a certain ways of playing ??
Jews were for 2,000 years all around the world, Jews contain the whole world in the culture, we havew here all kinds of.

6- and what the splendid black coffie that you make every morning with his pajamas whick is Folklore talking about ??!!
I am a master of making cooked Cofee :)

Cheers everyone!
Kobi.