Ask The Band Thread

Yossi_Orphaned_Land said:
Feel free to ask musical questions as you like (not only equipment wise, but also composition related etc)

OK....I have a question then! You guys are incredibly technical. So are you very well-educated in music, as in years of tutelage, school and practice etc. or are some of you guys self taught?

Also, what equipment does Uri use? I've noticed a Warwick 5-string, but what model? And what amp does he use? Effects?

waow,, My Dying Bride Uri's fav. band? great. now i love him much more :headbang:
and Kobi for answering all the questions.. i love u ! :worship:
You all (the band) are adorable people. so bright faces and nice chats!
ok.. here's my question as Yossi ordered! :p
in Halo Dies, there's an effect between the lyrics like "KHHH".. it's like the CD got damaged. who's idea was that? i love it! :hotjump:
(more Qs coming..)

It was my idea :) (Yossi - sorry for answering :) )
It's called a pink noise and it was the perfect thing to do with this concept of the lyrics of Halo dies, it's one of the parts that I too, love the most.

TheNocturnals said:
OK....I have a question then! You guys are incredibly technical. So are you very well-educated in music, as in years of tutelage, school and practice etc. or are some of you guys self taught?

Also, what equipment does Uri use? I've noticed a Warwick 5-string, but what model? And what amp does he use? Effects?

All the band members move between beeing self tought to being musically educated. We have no degrees in music whatsoever, but we all sat for a while with music teachers that gave us some faint ideas about what music is about from the "being musically educated" angle.

would you like to have a summer holiday in Turkey.?? ;)

and tell me 5 songs you'd like to cover with OL. (this is asked to Kobi before and he noted-"tomorrow those will be different")

Luvs- Ayse. :Spin:

Yossi, most of the time they write Yossi(Sassi) , why Sassi ?? I didn't get it
and in Sahara you said there is a Arab female vocal, from Jordan I think
in which song she sang? and where is she now ?

and in the next pictures can you tell me who is Kobi, Yossi, Matti, everybody ...

t02.jpg

t01.jpg

content.php

t02.jpg

t03.jpg

t02.jpg

t06.jpg

cause you guys grew up, nobody stays 18 you know
thanks

About "The Storm Still Rages" in Mabool. I love the solos in that song, who wrote them? In fact, I like the whole song very much. And about the rhythm part that begins about 2.57 and repeats with the solo parts. We also hear it in Ocean Land. Does it refer to a connection between the songs? Or is it just that you thought it was suitable for the solos?

And to Yossi. I'd like to know how you share your time between your software development business and Orphaned Land. Because afaik (as a computer science student) software development takes up too much time. (also too much caffeine and sleepless nights? :) )
I also wonder about your "learning times." I mean when you were learning about playing instruments, and programming business, how did you manage your timing so good that you could learn and develop both? You can play many different instruments when the hell did you learn to play them? :)
One more thing. In one of your posts I think, you said you do your job just to buy more instruments. So you don't like your "other job"? Your life as a programmer? Is it boring to you or is it something that you enjoy?

Of couyrse the rythem has a connection, it's great that you noticed it, Yossi wrote "The storm..." solo, Matti wrote "Ocean Land"'s - conceptually speaking - in Ocean Land the 3 see the revelation of the flood (while Matti's solo played) on the storm - it became reality and it is happenning for real.

"Seven divided into three" means that the seventh angel was divided into 3 souls in the form of Man which was sent each to one of the monotheistic religions in order of trying to finish the big confusion between them.

About Yossi Sasi, it's his childhood name and he changed it when he got married.

I personally don't see as as that technical. I try to maintain the melodies more than the technique when I compose. We're not very well-educated in music, I personally had a guitar teacher for a short while in early age (he was a great Blues guitarist, travells in the US nowadays) that gave me the correct basics, and from there it was all purely self taught, lots of practice and mainly listening to songs and developing my ears all the time.

Hadas my sister sings in early albums.

About "The Storm Still Rages" in Mabool - thank you for the compliments. yes, I did write the solo as well as the rhythm, which was then deliberately taken to "Ocean Land" to create a conceptual sequence (The vision of the flood - Ocean Land, and the Storm itself).

As to how I share my time between Software development, studies, family, band etc,- I am used to being busy 24x7, I don't sleep longer than the minimum and I crave to squeeze life to the max it has to offer. I keep all fronts healthy, including work. it's all about good time management (Outlook controlls my life) and balancing.

I don't have time to learn new music, when I compose I sort of "teach myself" new stuff. I always love to explore new and different instruments, and yes, it takes time to learn to play a new instrument well...

I enjoy programming very much, in fact, it's one of the highest joys in my life. Software has a certain magic that cannot be explained to non-programmers. in a way it's parallel to music, creation is creation, whether it's in the virtual world or through the strings of the guitar.

Yes, we will definately enjoy a summer vacation in Turkey :)
In fact, we already had at least two of those! I love Turkey very much, I visit it perhaps 2 to 3 times a year, whether on business, tour with Orphaned Land or simply vacation, I love the people, food, culture.. :p

As to the photos above - the line-up in the first upper picture is:
Yossi, Uri, Kobi (sitting), Matti, Sami
Hope this helps, my friend! :worship:

so Yossi's old name was Yossi Sassi and he changed it to Yossi Saharon
his sister last name was Sassi, so he changed form what ?
sorry i didn't get it

well there is an Arab Female Vocals named Amira Salah who sang in Beloved's Cry and Sahara ?? that's the one I'm asking about

hey matti what's up? how's life going on there? here, this is a question isn't it? :)
got cute pic of you, but don't know when i'll be able to upload here. :(
love ya!
Ayse

Yossi thanks a lot for the answer. :Spin: you're so sweet. hope we'll meet again soon! :hotjump:

Love&Light
Ayse

P.S: i send you an e-mail asking for the pics of OL concerts that you said in your post. haven't you read it?

if i were in a metal band, i think the best part would be being on stage. and doing all the crazy things i wanted to do. well, that's just what the audience waits for, isn't it?

what do you think Kobi? (asking you because i've always dreamt of being a vocalist..)

Being on stage is the best part about the whole "Being in a band process" :)

I was 1 Year and I quit because I coudn't do the army and the band together, most of the band members didn't do the army.
We stoped for 7 years because we had some problems, between us and in our personal lives, we couldn't find the time to bring all back together, today - Im happt it was like that, thats the way Mabool was born.

Yossi's name was changed from Sasi to Saharon...