Ask The Band Thread

Hi, Kobi!
I was a little shocked when i read here that you answered your fan's questions. This only makes Orphaned Land unique for me :worship:
I would like to ask just a few simple questions:
1. How did you decide to make "Flooding the Balkans"? In Bulgaria there was not much information about the concert and it was in a small place. Was that the idea? You wanted to meet your fans from the Balkans more privat, or there was another reason? Which leads to my 2-nd question
2. When will you come again? :tickled: I would come to listen to your music again and again...
and the last one:
3. How do you have time left to answer our countless questions? :tickled:
Greetings, have fun in Mexico!

Hello,
We always answer when we have the time, our main inspiration is our beloved friends that follow our music.
About the tour, we simply got contacted by local prmoters from the Balkans and did the tour, we had 300 people in our Sofia show so it was very good I guess, I heard Machine Head and Destruction had a huge concerts but then again, it's up to the promoters, we simply come to play once all the terms are closed.
We hope to come again soon, I miss Sofia very much!!

Thank you for answering!
Yes, last years more and more bands come to play in Bulgaria - Destruction, Machine Head, Judas Priest, Soulfly, and 2 years ago-Slayer, Dream Theatre, Peter Gabriel...
I think there is something called "live music hunger" for the bulgarian fans, (and for all fans from East Europe, you know the reason i'm sure), so with a little more advertising, i am pretty sure that you will get much more than 300 people in your concert.:) I spoke with some (virtual), who did't come to see Orpaned Land, just because they were not informed for the show. Of course, that's just my opinion.
You will be always wellcome in Bulgaria!!!:)

I made a Thread with this question... no one has answered me...
what is written in the triangles of the Eagle (I think it is in arabic), the Snake (I think is in Hebraic) and the Lion (I think is in english)???
and thanks Orphaned Land to come to Brazil!!!!!! I'll travel 1000 km walking to watch you, I'm really excited about this concert...
tx

Not so much a question as a comment, but I think it's cool that you are a fan of Peter Murphy, The Mission, and Dead Can Dance. It will make me feel a little less alone at ProgPower this year ;)

About the triangle - it is hand made we were writting (Uri did it while he drawened the triangle) the hebrew text taken from a very famous Israeli Poet, the Arabic samples were taken from a Holy Koran book that I have and the english, I don't remember...someday it'll be worthy to make the research :)

About Mabool - we will play the whole album for the first time in it's first birthday show we'll have in north Israel 23/3.

First question is for Yossi. How would you compare a modern musician such as yourself to a caveman? ;)

Next question for Kobi. Last week I was chatting with a guy I met on the internet who was also a fellow OL fan. We were talking about your growls and how they become much less frequent with each album. Sahara is mostly growls, El Norra Alila is about 50/50, and Mabool is about 1/5. His comment was, "at this rate there won't be any growling at all on their next album". We both agreed that wouldn't be a bad thing because neither one of us was really much of a death metal fan and we love your clean vocals. But my question is, how much growling do you expect to do on the next album? With Mabool being the masterpiece of music that it is, do you think that's about the perfect mixture of growling and clean vocals? Or will you do even less on the next album?

Lastly, I want to congratulate you guys on getting the ProgPower gig. OL has recieved new exposure because of the announcement. It has been a heavy topic of discussion on all metal boards I visit (it might be true that I started and fueled some of those discussions!) and many said they just bought Mabool since the announcement. You guys deserve this opportunity and I hope playing in the States gains you many new fans. :worship:

Growls are a great way of expression somtimes, better then any other clean vocals, I cannot Imagibe Halo Dies without growls for example, and check even the Opeth's parts with the growls, somtimes it's a must.
It's hard for me to predict what I'll do on next album, it's too early for that...

We hope to come back to Bulgaria, the sooner the better. I personally left there some good new friends, among them my brothers George and Noam that made my visit worth while, they are the perfect hosts, Thank you! Nasdrave!!
As for places visited - I travelled to many places in my life, I am not sure which is the best. Brazil is a great place to travel. I think the winter in Norway is amazing, yet the spring breeze of Tenerife is also a moment to cherish upon. I always enjoy Turkey, no matter when, but that's mostly to the people :tickled:

Playing mabool entirely in a concert will happen firstly in a month from now before going to the South American tour.

As for the q: "How would you compare a modern musician such as yourself to a caveman?" - well, to me there's a lot in common. Cavemen drew their mark on the cave walls, and I draw them in digital formats, so although the formats have changed, the basic process and will to leave a mark behind hasn't changed really since early days.
Thanks for all the compliments :)

Ko_B said:
BTW - Can you send links to those threads?

I was trying to remember all the different message boards where I saw OL being discussed for ProgPower. Unfortunately, I don't remember where most of them were! They were on several different sites though. Here are a few threads where you guys are topic of discussion here on UM:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184825

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184217

This one is from the ProgPower board, and I see you've already discovered that one! This is a link to the original thread that got me talking with TattoedSean and others.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183733

I'll post more in the future if I stumble across those discussions on other sites.

Hi everyone,

I have a question for Yossi or Matti.

I recently bought a saz in Turkey and I don't know which way is the best to record it :

- A classic microphone (for example shure SM57) next to the side-hole of the instrument (but it also records the noise made by the fan of the computer)
or
- A piezzo (I think it looks like a stick that you put under the strings, then a wire goes to an pre-amplifier)

Thanx in advance, you rule :hotjump:

I compose and play all oriental instruments (in addition to the electric guitar), so I may comment on the Saz related questions:
In my opinion, the best is to record the saz live, meaning, a classic microphone (e.g. shure SM57) close to the neck, or pick, not necessarily next to the side-hole of the instrument.
For live shows the opposite is true,- it's best to use a piezzo or any other microphone that you can stamp on the front of the instrument.
These advises are best on my experience in the studio and live shows and are valid for Buzuki and Oud as well.

Thanks a lot Yossi !!!!

I think I'm gonna try the piezzo method, because a shure SM57 didn't give good results. I wish I had a room dedicated to music recording :D

I hope to see OL play live in France someday.....

Bye

Yossi_Orphaned_Land said:
I enjoy programming very much, in fact, it's one of the highest joys in my life. Software has a certain magic that cannot be explained to non-programmers. in a way it's parallel to music, creation is creation, whether it's in the virtual world or through the strings of the guitar.
Greetings from Slovenia!

Awsome post Yossi :worship: That's basically how i feel about it too .. i sometimes even compare it to playing with Lego's :p Building little objects into a bigger entity :) Though i'm only a programmer in the making. Still have a long way to go till i finish with my studies :D

Anyway i wanted to ask you if you have some experience with Line 6 PODs? I'm thinking of buying one and would like to hear what a master guitar player thinks about them :D

Thanks! :)