Ayreon

heh, symphonyXjapan = Ayreon fanboy. Tell me which of the featured vocalists besides Astrid on Ambeon was "discovered" or "unknown" before their debut on Ayreon? Bovio you say? Tell me you never listened to Elfonia but you're a prog fan? Please.

He picks big names and it makes him something of an all-star carnival. It's diluted. It has great potential but falls short every time because without all that star talent, he'd have nothing. His music is average and his lyrics/concepts far worse. I enjoy the odd song that accidentally kicks ass though.

heh, Kenneth R = ignorant retard who assumes too much. Do you even know what a fanboy actually is? If I was an Ayreon fanboy I would have been telling you that you HAVE to like Ayreon or you have no taste in music. And yes I do like progressive metal, however, I like all kinds of other metal and even some non-metal music. Because progressive metal is one of the many styles of metal music I listen to I am supposed to know about every single band that has existed in the genre? And my point is still valid with Marcela Bovio because, even if I know nothing about "Elfonia", it is still pretty obvious that Stream of Passion has reached a far bigger crowd of people around the world (or perhaps I am now the one assuming too much?).

I understand that all of the vocalists that he has ever used are mostly all from some other bands or whatever, but, a lot of those bands are/were very unknown. Ayreon music reaches out to more people, therefore, it helps these vocalists from more unknown bands get some exposure. As it comes to the well known vocalists that are on Ayreon albums, posters above this one have already read my mind. If Ayreon's music was so bad or mediocre why would they do it? These well known vocalists would not only want to not embarass themselves, but, would not actually request or volunteer to do it.

I do like Ayreon, but unlike what you seem to think, I am not in the least obsessed with Ayreon. I only own like 2 albums and don't even really listen to Ayreon music that much. At times when I am in the mood I will sit down with my headphones and listen through a whole album. I do not think Ayreon music is the kind to be heard constantly or in small amounts. This is because most of the songs do not stand well alone, rather they sound great and have good meaning when listened to as one. Perhaps this is why you feel the songs are lackluster, I don't know? Every so often I want to hear a rock/metal opera story in full, and Ayreon is good for the job.

I have a question for Ken:

So if I have a particular opinion, and my second cousin twice removed and of Finnish decent is approximately 189cm tall, then how many days did James Cook actually take to sail around the coast of Australia?

Now, now, kenny boi is not an ignorant retard he is an arrogant genious, knower of all things, guardian of all forum topics and will make sure they take the proper direction he deems fit at the time. We should all bow down, for we are blessed to be abused by such a scrutinous dick tatter. Furthermore if you dont own every progressive recording ever recorded you simply have no right to post. PALEEZZ get with the program

Confident people don't respond like you do out here so the hypocrisy of this incorrect statement of yours is comical....

Thanks for calling attention to it out... :headbang:

Exactly--if explaining your reasoning in any form is considered a lack of confidence, then humanity should all stop communicating about everything, ever, and see how THAT works for us.

WELL ! Regardless, if Geoff Tate worked with Arjen for a while, they would produce the most awsome music ever known to exist to mankind :heh:

Razor, i think we have found common ground in our love for Geoff (though i will say i'm a bit more critical of some of his more appreciated works... i really can't listen to much more than the EP and mindcrime, though there's great songs elsewhere as well). Finally, we agree on something. :lol:

Yea, Ill agree theres pick and choose for the best, but Ill still occasionally pop in "The Warning" and "Rage for Order" cassettes and listen through and through. They really were about "the song" and message and mainly the voice of Tate. However, as domestic or "commercial" as Empire was every song on that album is just put together so well, it showed their maturity and seasoning. Their not master musicians, or intrumental wonders, never claimed to be, just of bunch of dudes that wrote good songs and had their own sound and carved out one side of metal that is still present today. Their later stuff you probably have to be an old fan to enjoy it for what its worth but they have left metal in the past, however their metal roots still show underneath it all. I so wish DeGarmo had of stepped up for II and Stone stepped down, at least for the writting and recording, or all worked together at least.

Heres an old primitive song of theirs but its worth a listen if anyone is interested in what being a powerfull, expressive, emotional vocalist is all about. Geoff Tate in his prime ! SHIT! I cant find it... Lady Wore Black recorded most likely early 90's it was a professionally produced live video, not some cell phone shit and I cant believe its gone. I just found it two nights ago. Damn!

OK, we'll go for this instead '85, imagine that, I wov youtube. Dont tell me this wasnt metal and he's not up to par live, the bridge vocals of this song is killer!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaLm-nCaRPc

My favorite Queesnryche song for some reason and its not metal, my love for the blues ? It just breaths the mood of the homeless or lost souls on the streets
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_Q-Vx34htU

Tate & Dio, 47 & 55
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmfN7Fu2d6A&mode=related&search=Queensryche

Yea, Ill agree theres pick and choose for the best, but Ill still occasionally pop in "The Warning" and "Rage for Order" cassettes and listen through and through. They really were about "the song" and message and mainly the voice of Tate. However, as domestic or "commercial" as Empire was every song on that album is just put together so well, it showed their maturity and seasoning. Their not master musicians, or intrumental wonders, never claimed to be, just of bunch of dudes that wrote good songs and had their own sound and carved out one side of metal that is still present today. Their later stuff you probably have to be an old fan to enjoy it for what its worth but they have left metal in the past, however their metal roots still show underneath it all. I so wish DeGarmo had of stepped up for II and Stone stepped down, at least for the writting and recording, or all worked together at least.

Heres an old primitive song of theirs but its worth a listen if anyone is interested in what being a powerfull, expressive, emotional vocalist is all about. Geoff Tate in his prime ! SHIT! I cant find it... Lady Wore Black recorded most likely early 90's it was a professionally produced live video, not some cell phone shit and I cant believe its gone. I just found it two nights ago. Damn!

OK, we'll go for this instead '85, imagine that, I wov youtube. Dont tell me this wasnt metal and he's not up to par live, the bridge vocals of this song is killer!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaLm-nCaRPc

My favorite Queesnryche song for some reason and its not metal, my love for the blues ? It just breaths the mood of the homeless or lost souls on the streets
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_Q-Vx34htU

Tate & Dio, 47 & 55
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmfN7Fu2d6A&mode=related&search=Queensryche

Like i said, his vocals have aged poorly, but he was king of kings back in the day. And a lot of Rage and Warning was great, but i can't listen to full albums most of the time. Still, Tate's vocals were fucking amazing, even if the songs weren't quite so.

Like i said, his vocals have aged poorly, but he was king of kings back in the day. And a lot of Rage and Warning was great, but i can't listen to full albums most of the time. Still, Tate's vocals were fucking amazing, even if the songs weren't quite so.

Not trying to argue here or carry on the discussion, but I just dont believe you should say that. It indicates he cant sing anymore... "poorly" "was" "were" ? Simply not true, I just saw him and couldnt believe he could still do it. Those are some challenging vocal parts and hes still strong and delivers. Dont judge by the shoddy cell phone videos, half of what you are hearing is the audience singing. I wish people would stop putting them up, I nearly didnt go to see SX because of a few of those "videos". In this Dio song he has the supporting roll and I still think he sings with more gusto in that video than most of the young pups. No, he doesnt have the voice of a young man anymore or I should say the young Tate and thats what happens, but at nearly 48 he can still "bring the house down" and sings like no other. I wouldnt say it if I didnt see it/ hear it myself. Most of the old screamers like Plant and Oliva, blew their voices out and were told they may never sing again and they never did sing as they once did again. Tate will still step up and blast out Take Hold of the Flame or Lady Wore Black and get it done. Yes he and his voice has aged but he has aged WELL. I cant get over the videos of him over weight with his head shaved though..... lol ..... what was he thinking ? But like I said, avoid those cell phone or amature videos they just blow... period, I have seen many of many bands and they are just awful, including ones Ive seen of PoS. I have yet to watch one in its entirety.

Not trying to argue here or carry on the discussion, but I just dont believe you should say that. It indicates he cant sing anymore... "poorly" "was" "were" ? Simply not true, I just saw him and couldnt believe he could still do it. Those are some challenging vocal parts and hes still strong and delivers

Not when I saw him. Nope, not at all. Was it terrible? No...but it certainly wasn't near what he could do 15-20 years ago.

wasn't near what he could do 15-20 years ago.

yea this is sarcastic but ...... duh

a mans voice changes, you can even here it just in speaking.

I love when people pick and choose what they want in what someone else says. for example
"No, he doesnt have the voice of a young man anymore or I should say the young Tate and thats what happens, but at nearly 48 he can still "bring the house down" and sings like no other."

so thanks for leaving this out of the quote and then saying nearly the same exact thing.

Christ !

I didn't mean that in the sense that you did (that he can still pull off all the older stuff with his aged voice). What I meant was that he couldn't pull off some of the older stuff due to his voice deteriorating.

Who would expect a man in his late 40's to still sound like this ? But I did hear him pull it off and have found crappy versions on you tube that show he still has his voice, just not this youngsters voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4yPxYvS1iY&mode=related&search=Queensrÿche - empire- hof ter lo

still forget all that bullshit that comes with age, I cant think of another vocalist that ever came close to putting it out there non stop like this boy did. Just watch him sing, thats intense shit hes doing to the chords and lungs and he means and feels every word and note. So 21 years later the flames have died down a bit...... hes still no poser. We got an excellent show and performance.

And naturally we all know vocalists and musicians have a long reputed reputation of sounding as good live... night after night... as they did recording in the studio............. :rolleyes:

and the quest continues