Bands/albums you want to like, for some reason

Haha, the folk elements are what turn me on to a band.

I've never been a big slam death fan; but I truly don't like much death metal outside melodic death. Which I think makes sense; I tend to lean towards more melodic stuff.

i seriously tried to like borknagar and i even got myself geared up for just fun symphonic epic metal and tried not to think about black metal while listening to them but it didn't work. gayest band ever. i'd rather listen to therion or almost anything else.

You'll like the first album.

I really wanted to like Bal-Sagoth - Starfire Burning over the Ice-Veiled Throne on Ultima-Thule because of the cool, long album and song titles. But they just had to play gay metal.
haha I also wanted to like Bal Sagoth, because they are great musicians and write high quality, complex music. However, in my case, it's those fucking cheesy as hell spoken word vocals that totally kill it for me.

Another CD I wanted to like: Graveland - Following the Voice of Blood. Due to the guitar tone, it hardly even sounds like metal. I can't get into that CD at all.

Ildjarn in general. They are considered a great second wave raw bm band by many. People with good taste in bm tend to like them, so I felt that I should like them. But they just sound amateurish and unmemorable to me. I dunno.

haha I also wanted to like Bal Sagoth, because they are great musicians and write high quality, complex music. However, in my case, it's those fucking cheesy as hell spoken word vocals that totally kill it for me.

Ildjarn in general. They are considered a great second wave raw bm band by many. People with good taste in bm tend to like them, so I felt that I should like them. But they just sound amateurish and unmemorable to me. I dunno.

Exactly the same for me in both cases. :p

Meshuggah!
I'm trying, trying and trying.
Just isn't happening yet.(Although I love Obzen but i think thats their most accessible work)
Should i do anything special?!

There's a reason he calls his own music "unlistenable anti-tunes" in his exit letter. His music is about the rawest and angriest, with no care whatsoever for technical details or complexity. I think his best black metal work is the stuff on the self-titled Ildjarn-Nidhogg and the Sort Vokter album, Folkloric Necro Metal, both of which are a little bit more than his standard style. His ambient work is quite good, and totally unlike his black metal stuff.

Oh, and it seems that I have a Strength and Anger album cover in my avatar.

- Burzum

I have Filosofem, don't hate it, but it doesn't impress me at all. Try a new spin every now and then, to see if my opinion changes, but nothing so far.

- Bathory

The only I have is Hammerheart, decent album but not wonderful as I have seen some people saying.

Perhaps I should try different albums from both bands :ill:

I really wanted to like Bal-Sagoth - Starfire Burning over the Ice-Veiled Throne on Ultima-Thule because of the cool, long album and song titles. But they just had to play gay metal.
I really wanted to like them (both because of the awesome song titles and also because I payed $15 for that album). I liked it, but was somewhat disappointed. However, it gets better with every listen.

I find that a band with a good name and logo or really any of the aesthetic peripherals that comes along with music I will give more of a chance to.
This is true for me too. I also tend to buy albums with cool covers and names rather than ones without.

- Bathory

The only I have is Hammerheart, decent album but not wonderful as I have seen some people saying.

Perhaps I should try different albums from both bands :ill:
Bathory's 2 most respected albums are Under The Sign Of The Black Mark, a black metal classic, and Hammerheart, the first Viking Metal album. Try under the sign.

Yeah I've tried Folkloric Necro Metal about 5 times and never got into it.

Even as a longtime metalhead, I have to listen to most extreme metal albums at least 15-20 times before I can even say if it's good or bad. Which is why I don't listen to a lot of pure death or black metal but rather bands that mix death/black metal with other genres.

Darkspace. I wanted to like it before I even heard it. Epic songs without lyrics and a space atmosphere, and great reviews. Although I do like it, I feel like that space atmosphere is mostly drowned with black metal.

How could I forget: At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours

Often considered one of the, if not the best, death metal albums of all time amongst those with good taste, I wish that I loved this album. I actually think it's pretty good, but I don't find it as good as most claim it to be. I find it very hard to get into, and feel that it lacks flow and unity. And I do like some inaccessible dm such as Demilich or Molested.

Bathory's 2 most respected albums are Under The Sign Of The Black Mark, a black metal classic, and Hammerheart, the first Viking Metal album. Try under the sign.

I will try it. Thanks.

I also tried to like Leviathan (Tentacles of Whorror), but that's a tough nut to crack o_O I'm considering listening to the last one.

I can't get into Demilich. I like their riffs, but not the way they're arranged within the songs. The first song on Nespithe is pretty kickass though.