Bands for a katatonia fan

Love Conquers All said:
And again, I recommend Shape of Despair... they are way slower than Katatonia, but their mastermind used to play in RAPTURE:) http://www.shapeofdespair.tk

Absolutely. Shape of Despair is AMAZING. If I could describe their sound metaphysically, then I would have to borrow a quote from Jonas on his Rain Without End album by October Tide: Lose yourself in slow infinity.
The "Shades of...." album is quite good, but Angels of Distress is far better. And yes, their mastermind, J.S. played on Rapture's first album, "Futile" which at this point I think is their best.

Also, perhaps to broaden your horizons a bit Ex, here are some bands that generate that "Katatonic Feeling" which titled a previous thread:

Mogwai - All
Muse - Absolution
Radiohead - Everything minus Creep and The Bends
Anekdoten - Gravity
Isis - Oceanic
Anathema - All
Moonspell - Irreligious or perhaps The Antidote
Paradise Lost - Everything up to One Second(I love everything by them,but their latter output is privy to great criticism. Still great stuff though).
Pelican - Australasia
My Dying Bride - All
At the Gates - All
Dark Tranquillity - All
Neurosis - Times of Grace and onward
Steve Von Till - All
Rapture - All
Daylight Dies - All

I realize this list could go on a bit further, but I have too much alcohol and too little ambition in me to go further. Cheers :)

I'd recommend the latest SATURNUS album: 'Martyre'. Despite the occasional growled vocals is the music quite 'katatonic' imho.

i totally agree with The Scourge. all listed bands have pretty much of this katatonic touch and feeling. not so long ago i've stumbled for the first time across Mogwai, have heared just a couple of songs and they really impressed me, mainly by their psycho sound..

I think a lot of us have different interpretations of what constitutes 'Katatonic' I think the term applies mostly of the aethetics used and not so much how it makes you feel. I for one would never call At The Gates, Isis or Muse anything at all like Katatonia...i mean these bands play completely different musical styles.

yes, insidethefall, it's not the musical style that makes ATG or Muse (to name a few on this thread) similiar to the katatonic fair, its definition is individual for sure, nobody has stated it as universally valid i think. it's much more the approach, emotional intensity, some context ideas. ATG personally for me have many so called urban odes as Katatonia use to re-embody too - really different styles in creating, but the bitter conclusion of being all alone and forgotten as a person is there in both cases... me thinks.

well I think a katatonia fan can enjoy most of the bands that are usually on Katatonia's guys playlists. At least I discovered we have more or less the same musical taste ( er..a part from Anders' passion for heavy/power metal which is not my cup of tea...), but a lot of bands the guys listen to are also among my faves.
The list is long, just to mention a few:

Tool and A perfect Circle
Red House painters
Kent
Opeth
Songs Ohia
Will Oldham/Palace Brothers
Anekdoten
Paatos
Sunny Day Real Estate
Paradise Lost
madder Mortem
jeff Buckley
the Cure
Nick Drake
etc. etc.

insidethefall said:
I think a lot of us have different interpretations of what constitutes 'Katatonic' I think the term applies mostly of the aethetics used and not so much how it makes you feel. I for one would never call At The Gates, Isis or Muse anything at all like Katatonia...i mean these bands play completely different musical styles.

In that case, your statement has total validity. Perhaps it is just a different understanding of the word "Katatonic" that separates our statements. Of course it should go unstated that I agree that I also would not call ATG, Isis, Muse, etc a Katatonia-like band. I simply infer that these bands have also culled and awoken the most sensitive parts of my soul. In the end, and maybe I am oversimplifying here, it is the feeling that bands give you, regardless of the aesthetic or playing style. And as is the case with me, depression is my niche; thusly I created the list you read a few posts ago.
And sorry for being so verbose, but alcohol truly inspires the scribe within me :)
Cheers mate :headbang:

ether said:
well I think a katatonia fan can enjoy most of the bands that are usually on Katatonia's guys playlists.

you're right. i've discovered many great bands so far by just following sometimes their playlists, some titles are really hard to find though, but worthy!
maybe to add a couple to your entry..

Sunny Day Real Estate
Slowdive..