Bands for a katatonia fan

The Scourge said:
In that case, your statement has total validity. Perhaps it is just a different understanding of the word "Katatonic" that separates our statements. Of course it should go unstated that I agree that I also would not call ATG, Isis, Muse, etc a Katatonia-like band. I simply infer that these bands have also culled and awoken the most sensitive parts of my soul. In the end, and maybe I am oversimplifying here, it is the feeling that bands give you, regardless of the aesthetic or playing style. And as is the case with me, depression is my niche; thusly I created the list you read a few posts ago.
And sorry for being so verbose, but alcohol truly inspires the scribe within me :)
Cheers mate :headbang:
Cheers Mate! (in my best english accent) :headbang:

I wouldn't say they're too like Katatonia, but for all you people saying you like Mogwai, another band you might like is Godspeed You Black Emperor! They have some very cool stuff... check out the album Lift Your Skinny Fists...

Yes. That album(A Sun That Never Sets) is just amazing. Did you see the DVD? I would have to say that it is one of the most bleak and depressive landscapes ever created to visualize an album. Everyone here should see that. But what is more impressive than that is the forthcoming Neurosis album, "The Eye of Every Storm." I would have to say that it is one of the best emotional and moving works I have ever heard. The genuine strife, confusion and loss that is portrayed is so brutally honest and so exotic and organic in delivery. Everyone who reads this post should do themselves a favor and buy the album when it comes out on June 29th.

The Scourge said:
Yes. That album(A Sun That Never Sets) is just amazing. Did you see the DVD? I would have to say that it is one of the most bleak and depressive landscapes ever created to visualize an album. Everyone here should see that. But what is more impressive than that is the forthcoming Neurosis album, "The Eye of Every Storm." I would have to say that it is one of the best emotional and moving works I have ever heard. The genuine strife, confusion and loss that is portrayed is so brutally honest and so exotic and organic in delivery. Everyone who reads this post should do themselves a favor and buy the album when it comes out on June 29th.
yeah, i got the DVD, you are talking to a big time die-hard fan here. amazing DVD, Stones From The Sky in paticular is just awesome. The new album is incredible as well. The instrumental alone might just be the most beautiful piece of music ive ever heard, paticularly the first minute or so.

Sunlapse said:
yeah, i got the DVD, you are talking to a big time die-hard fan here. amazing DVD, Stones From The Sky in paticular is just awesome. The new album is incredible as well. The instrumental alone might just be the most beautiful piece of music ive ever heard, paticularly the first minute or so.

Shelter is a great instrumental, no doubt. But my favorite thus far is the title track. With this one song they(Neurosis) have truly mastered the craft of universal emotional complexity being expressed through the most minimalist and simple vehicles. Should Philip Glass himself hear this album, he would shit his pants, especially on Bridges. I never thought that I would immediately embrace something so unorthodox, but this new album has got to be one of the most giving and rewarding musical works I have ever heard.
I would assume that you like bands of somewhat similar ilk such as Isis, Godflesh and Pelican?

very useful topic..even for a such ill-informed fan as me,since 5 years i'm listening practically only to 7 groups and sometimes i'm just trying to rip myself off and to listen to someting else,but i just can't,it's really very distracting..i want to listen to something else,but i just can't :zombie: but i hope that some of your advices will be quite interesting and mesmerizing..thanx!

Damn how many bands.

I have checked out all the bands I could find. I especially loved:

The Wounded
Radiohead
and
Avec Tristesse

Does anyone knows any other bands similar to Katatonia?

The Scourge said:
Shelter is a great instrumental, no doubt. But my favorite thus far is the title track. With this one song they(Neurosis) have truly mastered the craft of universal emotional complexity being expressed through the most minimalist and simple vehicles. Should Philip Glass himself hear this album, he would shit his pants, especially on Bridges. I never thought that I would immediately embrace something so unorthodox, but this new album has got to be one of the most giving and rewarding musical works I have ever heard.
I would assume that you like bands of somewhat similar ilk such as Isis, Godflesh and Pelican?
yes, i am in paticular a big fan of Isis, "Oceanic" is one of my top 10 albums. amazing stuff.

"Bridges" is indeed an amazingly abstract track.... whereas "Burn" might just be Neurosis's most accesable track (not to mention one of their best), "Bridges" is probably their least.... very wierd stuff, but really really cool. Overall, the 2nd half of the album, "Shelter", "A Season In The Sky", "Bridges", and "I Can See You" is probably my favorite. The acousting playing on I Can See You is very good.... it just sounds so "different", yet peaceful and uneasy at the same time.... great closer. My favorite album of the year so far, and i doubt its gonna be topped.

discouraged1 said:
Slowdive is fucking amazing band

i would go that far to say that maybe there would be no katatonia without them (so great is my impression about this underrated dreamy pop)

yes right, Slowdive are great!
other bands I discovered through their playlists are also Sixteen Horsepower and Nicolai Dunger, both singers have a really good voice!

yeah, souvlaki space station is a damn good song.
have you listened moussaka chaos from alison cds?
it is actually souvlaki space station without vocals and melodies, only basic delays and fx chaos?

katatonia have used to open their gigs with slowdive's cello as an intro(amazing instrumental from pygmalion)