Bands for a katatonia fan

Anyone heard Lacrimas Profundere? I don't think they're awfully good myself, but it might appeal to fans of Katatonia.

yepp, Lacrimas Profundere is a good goth/rock band, that has evolved with time. there're nice ideas worth listening on every album by them, but on the whole just a few songs that give me the special feeling i could relate to Katatonia in a way.

Fred has offered us the band called "kent" in a talk for a while in Istanbul...he's also wearing a wristband with "kent" written on it! he warrants that if one likes katatonia, then definetely like kent too...
so let's try this guys! i'm also into a deep search here..but let's see if i could find it in Istanbul or managed to buy via internet,etc.

Deliverance, remember which album the kent song you downloaded was from? If it was from their latest one (Vapen & Ammunition), that's definitely not kent at its best. All of you who are interested in kent, try some songs from the albums Isola and Hagnesta Hill. They're the ones that I'd recommend for a Katatonia fan (or anyone else, for that matter :)) to check out - and both of them are among the best albums ever made, imho.

lachrar said:
Fred has offered us the band called "kent" in a talk for a while in Istanbul...he's also wearing a wristband with "kent" written on it! he warrants that if one likes katatonia, then definetely like kent too...
so let's try this guys! i'm also into a deep search here..but let's see if i could find it in Istanbul or managed to buy via internet,etc.
Kent is fuckin shitpoprock band. I don't know how they compare themself to them. The world is coming down seems...:erk:

Kent is one of the most famous Swedish bands and I really like them.

I bought all their albums in Norway (except B Sidor, which strangely enough could be found in Italy).
They have nothing to do with Katatonia, but they are good, it's pop/rock and maybe their latest album is a little bit more commercial than the others, but it's still good music( I don't listen only to metal!)
There are a couple of melancholic songs, but sometimes I also like to lsiten to happy music, especially while driving...and then Swedish sounds so nice!

Chiarascura said:
Deliverance, remember which album the kent song you downloaded was from? If it was from their latest one (Vapen & Ammunition), that's definitely not kent at its best. All of you who are interested in kent, try some songs from the albums Isola and Hagnesta Hill. They're the ones that I'd recommend for a Katatonia fan (or anyone else, for that matter :)) to check out - and both of them are among the best albums ever made, imho.

Thanx for the advice, I surely will check them out A.S.A.P. As I am not just a fan of metal myself (ether) so I could like them just fine. If in your opinion they are among the best alblums ever made I can trust in there being some worth in the music. Thanx

well, i also listen to many music styles that have dark, gloomy, miserable atmosphere mainly, and sure metal is not the only one way to express it.
Kent are a really good band, i like them a lot. okay, i don't have everything by them, don't know their latest material, whether they're going into the mainstream or not, but 'Isola' is just great!
at the risk of getting swatted, i also like some stuff by Eskobar. :rolleyes:

I would like to recommend Greyswan and End of Green. Greyswan is a pretty depressive metal band with riffs like katatonia, but not at all the same voice. End of Green is really subcore, but some songs are so damn good I just had to recommend.

Of course, the expected names to discover to a question like this are going to be October Tide, Rapture, Paradise Lost, Anathema, Daylight Dies etc etc...I would add Blazing Eternity, Saturnus, This Empty Flow (for the mood more than the actual music), Diabolique and artsist such as the already mentioned Slowdive, post-Slowdive act Mojave 3, Red House Painters, Joy Division, Fields Of The Nephilim and The Cure who have all played a hand in shaping Katatonia's soundworld.

If you have a taste for the blacker realms of sonic despondency check out Abyssic Hate's Suicidal Emotions CD which flows along a very similar stream as early Katatonia. It's sort of like Burzum doing a version of Brave Murder Day. Very trance-inducing and mesmerizing.

NP: Mourning Beloveth - Dust

since here were mentioned bands like Sunny Day Real Estate and Red House Painters i would definitely recommend a great emo/noise/rock band - Sometree. there're three full songs on their homepage. (www.sometree.de)

a big thanks to passenger for the tip!

Drynwhyl said:
well, i also listen to many music styles that have dark, gloomy, miserable atmosphere mainly, and sure metal is not the only one way to express it.
Kent are a really good band, i like them a lot. okay, i don't have everything by them, don't know their latest material, whether they're going into the mainstream or not, but 'Isola' is just great!
at the risk of getting swatted, i also like some stuff by Eskobar. :rolleyes:

And so I have checked out ISOLA.........I really like it so far, just a couple songs so a final judgement (for lack of better words) is not yet made by me. So far it is just what I am looking for at this point in my life. Thanx alot to those who brought it up. :wave:

so glad you liked them, Deliverance!
being so fascinated myself during the whole last week while listening to Isola, some songs are so dragging me down, feel as if i'm caught in some vast vacuum. magic!

Anyone who likes Katatonia should check out The Thought Industry, they're one of the greatest bands ever. Really depressing and diverse. "Black Umbrella" is probably the best CD of all time (next to Carcass's Necrotism and Slayer's Reign in Blood, respectively.)

-Vince