Bands in metal that never top their first album.

Opeth 'orchid' and 'morningrise' while being great albums are far from the bands best material. I'm glad mikael decided to change the style because melodic gothenburg style melodies and death metal get redundant. Mikaels songwriting guitar playing, and vocals are so much better after these two albums. If you disagree you simply just don't like the band or not hearing them. Me being a fan someone thinking the band has not topped orchid is pretty ridiculous.

I would disagree with candlemass because each of the first four fullengths are classic in their own sense.

People either think epicus is the best or nightfall usually. I think the first album is the best, but the band did not slack with the follow up to be one of the bands that just does not have it after the first album because they obviously did. It's like the first black sabbath is probably their best cd. Sabbath at the same time first six cds are sill classic and each could be the bands best album.

Amorphis. Though Tales From the Thousand Lakes is very good, it is still not quite as good as The Karelian Isthmus. Amorphis did go to shit relatively quickly, as all their other work is rubbish.

Life Sucks said:
Amorphis. Though Tales From the Thousand Lakes is very good, it is still not quite as good as The Karelian Isthmus. Amorphis did go to shit relatively quickly, as all their other work is rubbish.

Elegy is their best, easily. But a case could be made for any of their first three being their best.

I find the first 3 Amorphis cds and the new one 'eclipse' to be almost equal in different ways.

Tuonela recently clicked with me. Elegy is amazing and could possibly be their best, i'm not sure right now.

Ex-cally-boo said:
Elegy is their best, easily. But a case could be made for any of their first three being their best.
Weren't you just arguing in another thread that "The Karelian Isthmus" was the standard for all death metal albums?

I never explained myself totally, but The Karelian Isthmus is the lowest of my favorite albums in death metal, I had said that albums had to be as good as TKI to be considered one of the best of all time therefore meaning it obviously isn't my favorite overall, as I open room for albums to surpass it.

Ex-cally-boo said:
It's a matter of opinion. Not only is The Karelian Isthmus their best, but it is one of the top five death metal albums of all time in my book.