Bands similar to SX

Instrumental, though very much in the vein of Symphony X:

check out his videos, he's one of the best guitarists you can find on youtube, and not on the shelf of your music store :)

(Paco Hernandez)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have recently discovered a band called Threshold from england that I have been playing a lot of.

Two new bands that are very similar, and I'm sure you will love...

Myrath - Desert Call
Edgend - A New Identity
*Both can be purchased and sampled at http://www.nightmarerecords.com

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVW1vHg1zt8&feature=related[/ame]

Other bands, that are similar;
Adagio
Pyramaze
Circus Maximus
Lemur Voice/Sun Caged

try Star One (too obvious? dont kill me!)
heard lucassin is making another one, hope russ is still on vocal duties

I stumbled across this. The rest of their oeuvre seems to be cheesy power metal but then they come out with this:

rofl

just try to tell it like it is

but this is a good place for bands that sound just like Symphony X, cant knock the skills thats for sure

Aaahh... I see that you're in transition.

Give it time, my good friend.

here are a couple to start with:

Circus Maximus
Lemur Voice/Sun Caged

Circus Maximus, erm, I never got into em so much, their influences are way too prominent. But yea they are similar.

Seems like you're referring to the larger-than-life feel of the concept/music...if so, Virgin Steele is a good first stop. Not nearly as technical as SX, but IMO they're even better melodists and have a similar style (and they have mythological/narrative themes as well).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djkHtk_g-yo

Seconding Adagio/Circus Maximus as well, they definitely take some cues from SX. Redemption occasionally does as well. You might consider Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force, too, but most of his stuff is bland.

Virgin Steele? Erm, I dont think so, VS are closer in sound to some old Manowar or Manowar of the 90s.

Check out the first album of Myrath!

And the second too :p

How couldnt I quote this lol:loco:

Carnivora!

Norwegian progressive metal band.
Vocalist = Michael Eriksen from Circus Maximus.
Michael Eriksen is replaced on the newest album:bah:, but he is singing on one of the songs; "Essence of Time".:Spin:

Virgin Steele? Erm, I dont think so, VS are closer in sound to some old Manowar or Manowar of the 90s.

Yeah musically no, but their 'attitude' is similar, you dig?

Came in to say Suspyre, and I'm glad to see someone else likes them. They're my favorite band (SX would be second). However, this is the first time I've seen anyone say anything bad about Suspyre. Their first album is pretty power metalish, but still very good. The third is straight up prog. The second, A Great Divide is somewhere between, much like SX, and is probably my all time favorite album. Very strong classical influence. I always recommend this to people who like SX.

And yeah, definitely Circus Maximus. I wish they'd release a new album already though.

Regarding the Suspyre, they have gotten more interesting with they're newer efforts. The "grooveless typical power metal" comment makes me think of the first disc, the newer material is pretty cool IMO.

I am fortunate to have heard some of their new stuff, and "grooveless" is the last word to come to my mind! I can't wait for it to be released!