Bands similar to SX

In this order

Circus Maximus (yes, hands down. Listen to solo on Ultimate Sacrifice)
Adagio (very special solos i.e The Stringless Violin)
Myrath (the new album is a full sym x rip off with adagio keyboardist, wonderful and easily their best album, get it)

If you are looking for a new Michael Romeo, the only guys on par as per emotional value of solos and mood are Mats Haugen from Circus Maximus and of course Adagio's Stephan Forte who is recording his first solo album as we speak.

In this order

Circus Maximus (yes, hands down. Listen to solo on Ultimate Sacrifice)
Adagio (very special solos i.e The Stringless Violin)
Myrath (the new album is a full sym x rip off with adagio keyboardist, wonderful and easily their best album, get it)

If you are looking for a new Michael Romeo, the only guys on par as per emotional value of solos and mood are Mats Haugen from Circus Maximus and of course Adagio's Stephan Forte who is recording his first solo album as we speak.

Circus Maximus honestly reminds me much more of Dream Theater than Symphony X; not too much of the classical vibe going on in their music. CM's singer is also better than DT's, but what band's isn't?

Adagio definitely sounds a lot like SyX, but with occasional random time changes that serve no purpose other than showing off and ruining the song for some (e.g. me). Ah, who am I kidding, I love Adagio! Archangels wasn't as good as their previous stuff, but they're still a great band. Their bass player is also top notch. I had no idea about Forte's solo album; I'll be sure to pick that up when it's released!

UPDATE: Didn't like Suspyre at all. Listened to the whole new album and not one song stuck out.

Going to go try out Myrath and Adagio next...we shall see. I know the moment I heard CM I was like holy fucking shit these guys are forserious. Hopefully one of these bands hits me like that again...CM and SX are both taking forever on their new albums - so I'm stuck with the new Star One atm.

Circus Maximus honestly reminds me much more of Dream Theater than Symphony X; not too much of the classical vibe going on in their music. CM's singer is also better than DT's, but what band's isn't?

Adagio definitely sounds a lot like SyX, but with occasional random time changes that serve no purpose other than showing off and ruining the song for some (e.g. me). Ah, who am I kidding, I love Adagio! Archangels wasn't as good as their previous stuff, but they're still a great band. Their bass player is also top notch. I had no idea about Forte's solo album; I'll be sure to pick that up when it's released!

Thanks for the comment. It's so hard to find bands like Symphony X, but I think at least the solo style and guitars on CM are pretty Symphony X inspired. As for Adagio, they are awful and amazing at the same time. Nevertheless they are worth the time. I guess I am kinda just thinking about guitars and soloing that has the emotional value and depth as Michael Romeo's. For me the only guitarists who can come close are Mats and Stephan.

If you are gonna check out Myrath make sure to listen to their new album - DESERT CALL
This song is so obviously a Symphony X rip off its sickening. Most of their songs are pretty awesome.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liT7UMuGR68&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4FK8oP84h4&feature=related[/ame]

Thanks for the great words, guys!!! We really appreciate it! This makes us focus even more on making the best album ever when we`re hitting the studio early next year :D To follow us, also check out our accounts on Facebook, Twitter, Youtube and Reverbnation. Stay tuned for a lot great things to come.

Thanks again for the humble words, we really appreciate it.

Sincerly,
Tellus Requiem

Just listened to Tellus Requiem's "Oblivion" on Youtube. Pretty good band I have to say - although the vocalist sounds like he has a stuffy nose or singing extremely nasally most of the song.

Trying Myrath next...
UPDATE: Listened to "Confession" off the Hope album. Great fucking song...vocalist is pretty damn good.

Weston, that Myrath song is great! Awesome Symphony X-like chunky riffs! Also, while I love The Stringless Violin, I doubt Adagio will ever write a song as good as Underworld again. That song floors me every time I hear it.

Weston, that Myrath song is great! Awesome Symphony X-like chunky riffs! Also, while I love The Stringless Violin, I doubt Adagio will ever write a song as good as Underworld again. That song floors me every time I hear it.

Hey I'm glad you like it, Desert Call was a really pleasant surprise for me. It's much more listenable than Adagio. I think it's a really solid and kick ass album all the way through. Try the song "Forever and a day".

I agree with you on Underworld being possibly being Adagio's best song. I'd say all Adagio is really good for is a solo here and there but the Underworld and Sanctus Ignis albums arent bad.

Anyway. get Desert Call if you can! Not enough people have heard it or reviewed it online sadly. It's truly wonderful.

I really liked Desert Call. I usually don't like those bands that "kind of sound like DT or SX", but Myrath started as a Symphony X cover band and their new material is very SX-influenced. It's still a style of its own and i love the whole feel and Middle Eastern feel of the album.

Silent Cries, Tempests of Sorrow and Desert Call are definitely my favorite tracks

There's a brazilian band called Akashic, that unfortunately no longer exists, that is very similar to Symphony X. They released 2 albums, but I think their first one "Timeless Realm" is the best. It's worth to check them out.

Last edited by a moderator: