Bands that first got you into metal

Kill 'Em All said:
Thanks. I'll look that up today. 'Bout time I started listening to some new bands.

& thanks as well Salvatore, I'll look up that record as well.

This fora's much better than the Children of Bodom fora, it's mostly full of wankers in there. Not like here, where you get nice replys back. :cool: Thanks people, you make me want to stay on this forum.

I'm sorry, my bad. Onward to Golgotha belongs to Incantation, not Immolation. The thing is I was listening Immolation while I wrote this and I'm always fucking things up. Forgive me.
...I need a scape goat. Oh right, I was drunk.

December 25th 1984. I was 9 years old. Grandma, for some unknown reason, decided I needed an Iron Maiden 'Piece of Mind' t-shirt for christmas. I didn't even know what Iron Mainden was. I found out the next summer when I went to visit grandma. We went shopping at K-Mart and I was looking through the cassette tapes for some Weird Al Yankovic or something kids like when somthing caught my eye. Iron Maiden 'Piece of Mind'. "Oh, I guess 'Iron Maiden' is music." I grabbed the tape and asked grandma if she'd buy it for me. I reminded her that it was the picture on the shirt she'd gotten me. She purchased it for me and to this day I have grandma to thank for initialy turning me into a metal head. Grandma is 92 now and still going strong!

And BloodbatH plays some of the most heavy music performed by some of the most talented group of guys in Death Metal I've heard in a long time.

It all begin with Iron Maiden, during grade six or something, when I was 12 or 13 years old. Close to follow where Metallica and Black Sabbath. Then I developed an interest for Slayer and In Flames. Those combined ended up in the Haunted, which led backwards into At the Gates. I then ventured into the realms of brutallity begining with Morbid Angel, Death, Entombed (however, the entombed stup I picked up wasnt that brutal) and The Crown. At the beginning of high-school I was introduced to Opeth, which gave a strange twist to my music-taste, helping med to explore a lot of different shite, also heading in the directions of prog, or even cheesyness. Not much later than that I came across "Crimson" by Edge of Sanity, which is still, in my opinion, the best metal-release ever. And after cheesing into stuff like "Yes", "Rush", "Camel" and "Genesis" (amongst a lot of less cheesy 70s rock from different parts of the world) heavy music kindo got a rejoice in my house with the grindcore act Nasum, assorted death metal stuff (such us suffocation and bloodbath) and so on - Music rules.

I started with Metallica and Ozzy, from there I got into power metal, by means of Falconer and Dragonforce, eventually Stratovarius. I soon ended up wanting to see what else metal had to offer, and soon found out about Emperor and ...and Oceans. It was here that I had ended up getting into black metal, and for almost a year I had listened to little metal that wasn't black metal. I have now recently (starting the middle of last year) been getting into death metal, and while I had first enjoyed Death, Posessed, Crypt of Kerberos, Miasma, and a few other more old school bands I never really got into it. Then Wormed came along. Dear god. Brutal as fuck, but I loved it. I got more into the brutal death scene with bands like Spawn of Possession, Suffocation and the like, but soon drifted off back to Black metal. From here I got really interested in Folk and Viking metal, and for about 2 months it was my main genre. Now however, I don't really have a main subgenre of metal I listen too, but I have been listening to Black and Death metal more, with me exploring DM alot more since I had semi-neglected it throughout my journey of metal.

THE song that got me into metal was Cemetary Gates, when I heard it I was like WOW, it gave me chills, my spine started tingling, I was amazed that a song could something like that to me.After that I was hooked on Pantera, Metallica and Black Sabath.I got into death metal when I heard The Moor.

Faith No more... not very metal indeed but heavier than Queen and Kiss, the bands that got me into rock when I was a rebel kid hahahaha

That was the very first "metal" band that I heard... Now I think that they was more a rock band than a metal band.

I never had anyone in my family listening to metal, neither any of my friends did when I was a kid, so when I was in 8th grade I heard Limp Bizkit on tv and as it was more "agressive" I loved it, then I eventually got into Korn, SOAD and Slipknot, then I met some cool people whyle in 10th grade and found out what real fuckin metal is...

Flal said:
For me, it all started with slipknot. I think everyone my age (19) or younger in north america that likes metal went through a slipknot phase.... But from the Hundres of Metal magazines featuring slipknot, I started reading about other, more extreme bands like Morbid Angel and Cannibal Corpse.

LOL...how pathetic...always hated slipknot and will.

MY first was opeth. I came fromt he classical side of music when my friend showed me lamentations. I was a bit scepitcal until I saw the talent that those guys have. Fromt hen on it was a slow and steady discovery of other bands. Opeth led me to Bloodbath, I found stuff like rhapsody and then some underground black metal like Averse Sefira and Behexen.

I started with Drowning Pool back when they were big on the radio. From there I had a friend suggest that I look into Opeth after I flat out lied to him saying that I listened to death metal every now and then (when I had never even heard of death metal before). From Opeth I got into Bloodbath and here I am today.

man this is so fucking embarrasing , but i begun listening to linkin park, limpbiskit, and nu metal crap,

i first got into metal well more hard rock atthe age of 8 - 9 thrugh my dads vynal collection bads like deep purple led zepalin stuff liek that them at age 11 i got my first album it was metallica - and justis for all and that was it i didnt look back and i thrashedthe hell out of the album and i wanted more so i was listening to stuff liek iron maden and black sabbith megadeath stuff liek that and also tool but from tool i got into opeth about the time still life came out and i was blown away like hel this was good and i wanted more and not like most ppl, i fell in love with the death vox it was just the brutality and aggrestion and i wanted it harder and faster and i found a band called cannibal corpse and the album was bloodthirts and the front cover made my get it cos as soon as i saw it i thort "shit thats got to be the heavyest album ever" but the time i was 19 i got my self into brutal death metal like nile, hate eternal, vile stuff liek that and about that time i got my self the 3 bloodbath albums and now iv gotten into black metal just this yeah i mean i had nightside of the eclips by emperor for years but i never liked it. it was the bad production and that high pitch screams that put me off it, till earlyer this year i just got heavly into it dont as me why but i picked up nightside again and fell in love with it and wanted more. sp there ya have it

benn listening to metal since i was 11 im 21 now so eyah i think im lernard(sp?) in metal :loco:

like so many others, I started at the age of 14 (that was 1989) with Metallica and Iron Maiden.....then Sepultura, Entombed, Obituary, early Paradise Lost.

I was big Death- and Thrash-Metal fan but now as I get older, I am more into some progressive stuff.....

Xhale said:
i first got into metal well more hard rock atthe age of 8 - 9 thrugh my dads vynal collection bads like deep purple led zepalin stuff liek that them at age 11 i got my first album it was metallica - and justis for all and that was it i didnt look back and i thrashedthe hell out of the album and i wanted more so i was listening to stuff liek iron maden and black sabbith megadeath stuff liek that and also tool but from tool i got into opeth about the time still life came out and i was blown away like hel this was good and i wanted more and not like most ppl, i fell in love with the death vox it was just the brutality and aggrestion and i wanted it harder and faster and i found a band called cannibal corpse and the album was bloodthirts and the front cover made my get it cos as soon as i saw it i thort "shit thats got to be the heavyest album ever" but the time i was 19 i got my self into brutal death metal like nile, hate eternal, vile stuff liek that and about that time i got my self the 3 bloodbath albums and now iv gotten into black metal just this yeah i mean i had nightside of the eclips by emperor for years but i never liked it. it was the bad production and that high pitch screams that put me off it, till earlyer this year i just got heavly into it dont as me why but i picked up nightside again and fell in love with it and wanted more. sp there ya have it

benn listening to metal since i was 11 im 21 now so eyah i think im lernard(sp?) in metal :loco:

Dude! Sentences, please!