Bands That Have Gotten Progressively Worse With Each Album

Status
Not open for further replies.
saturnix said:
no, i've listened to their demos, too, though my favour falls to the former. as i said, while death may indeed bear a secondhand resemblance to the works of atheist, i certainly wouldn't label them as second rate. it seems to me that your doing so is the result of bias and not analysis.
In comparison to Atheist or Cynic or Coroner, they were decidedly "second rate." They aped the styles of those bands without being nearly as adventurous or thoughtful, but that's very often the case with a band that arrives late to the wagon. Not surprisingly, Death was far behind the curve by '91, and Chuck was basically just aping a simplified version of what his influences had been doing in '89. By that time, Coroner and especially Atheist and Cynic had pushed the envelope far beyond where Death stood. The next two Death releases were increasingly stripped down versions of Human and TSoP comes across as essentially a hurried attempt at continuing in the same basic style while attempting to connect with the Gothenburg audience (most notable in Chuck's vocal shift and the greater emphasis on lead work). Really, it's a basic pattern of Chuck's career. While he himself was never much of an innovator, he had an instinct for latching on to the "next big thing."

Bruce Dickinson is a freak, his solo albums just get better and better as he goes along. I imagine his next one will render Iron Maiden even more obsolete.

Guns and Roses are more hard rock then Metal but they started out great and just declined with the next releases.

Van Halen had two good releases then went to hell.

Danizig had a fucking brilliant and raw debut with great songs and then Lucifuge was almsot as good, but then it got old.

Planetary Eulogy said:
Eh, my past handles are fairly well known, most of the forum's participants instantly recognize each new incarnation for what it is. I suppose your isolation on the Opeth forum might account for a certain level of ignorance on that score.

Thunderbolt of Ba'al
Cryonaut X
Stupor Mundi
Dying Sun
Mornelithe Falconsbane (I think I used that on this forum, but it's been a couple of years)

Oh, you weren't reltiH flodA?

were theater of tragedy ever anygood? I got one of their albums and it is pretty fucking lame goth metal.

speaking of getting progressively worse- I really was let down by Meshuggahs last album- it just wasnt very good.

A few others:

Pain of Salvation
Therion (well, they actually peaked with their second recording)
Entombed
Deicide (also peaked with their second album)
Slayer (see Therion and Deicide)
Thought Industry

Prowler121 said:
Bruce Dickinson is a freak, his solo albums just get better and better as he goes along. I imagine his next one will render Iron Maiden even more obsolete.
Bruce Dickinson is a fag.

That's all I have to add to this thread.

speed said:
were theater of tragedy ever anygood? I got one of their albums and it is pretty fucking lame goth metal.

speaking of getting progressively worse- I really was let down by Meshuggahs last album- it just wasnt very good.

In my opinion, not really. Look at it this way, Velvet Darkness They Fear was at least listenable goth-metal. Assembly is like this trance-techno-industrial-eurocore thing.

Planetary Eulogy said:
A few others:

Pain of Salvation
Therion (well, they actually peaked with their second recording)
Entombed
Deicide (also peaked with their second album)
Slayer (see Therion and Deicide)
Thought Industry
i won't touch any of those except Pain of Salvation. while "one hour..." is a bit esoteric, i think the calibre of their releases continues to rise. what makes you think otherwise?

children of bodom. well, i would rate follow the reaper and hate crew on the same level, but meh, you get the pic.

saturnix said:
i won't touch any of those except Pain of Salvation. while "one hour..." is a bit esoteric, i think the calibre of their releases continues to rise. what makes you think otherwise?
Entropia was excellent, but the rest of their releases are a bit unfocused and tend to stray perilously close to muzak at times...

Planetary Eulogy said:
Entropia was excellent, but the rest of their releases are a bit unfocused and tend to stray perilously close to muzak at times...
proceeding albums may have been a bit more straightforward, but even more focused than entropia. also more intense, if from nothing else than better production.

saturnix said:
proceeding albums may have been a bit more straightforward, but even more focused than entropia. also more intense, if from nothing else than better production.
Structurally more simplistic perhaps, but not more focused. Too much time wasted noodling around with needless accoustic breaks (where Entropia utilized accoustic and mellow passages in logicall rather than gratuitous fashion), not enough high impact moments. "Prog" metal lives and dies by melodrama, it's boring when understated.

Planetary Eulogy said:
Structurally more simplistic perhaps, but not more focused. Too much time wasted noodling around with needless accoustic breaks (where Entropia utilized accoustic and mellow passages in logicall rather than gratuitous fashion), not enough high impact moments. "Prog" metal lives and dies by melodrama, it's boring when understated.

:lol: is there such a thing as "understated melodrama" when it comes to pain of salvation?

Status
Not open for further replies.