Bands with Dual Vocalists

Zephyrus

Tyrants and Slaves
Jan 18, 2006
Maine or Iowa
From my experience there are very few metal bands I know of that use two or more vocalists sharing equal mic time. I know Summoning do it very well, but from what I hear a lot of bands' dual vocalists sound too similar. I've seen Raging Speedhorn live and they have two, but the music was rather terrible.

So there aren't many of these kinds of bands out there. Do you people know of any good ones, or of any at all? Share your thoughts on the dual tag-team vocals concept.

Hammers of Misfortune! Not necessarily equal time, but definitely two (sometimes more) lead vocalists who sound great seperately or in harmony!

it can work well in extreme vocals too...

wasn't Woods of Ypres' "Against the Seasons" done with 2 vocalists? one for the lower growls and one for the high-pitched screams?

the only one i know who i've heard that have equal time on the mic would be 3 Inches Of Blood...

*Waits for the comments on how gay the vocalist sounds*

Most metalheads on here probably already know this, but Carcass had an awesome dual-vocal attack going for at least 2 albums, and it was a very memorable one at that. Haven't really heard any other bands who do it, unless I just don't remember any at this time. (Well, Cynic does it on Focus with the typical dm growls and computerized clean vocals done by two different guys I believe, and that combination is either "love it" or "hate it"). I agree fully about Summoning doing it rather well.

And yeah, I also had the unfortunate experience of seeing Raging Speedhorn live, amazingly annoying shitty (dual) vocals to match the amazingly annoying shitty music.

Something I think I'd like to hear is a chior type thing of growls. I've got little idea of what it'd be like, but I want to know...

Despised Icon have two full time vocalists, but they are rather unremarkable. Carcass and clones of course are great. Dying Fetus have good two vocalist usage. Others I can think of are Deeds of Flesh and Nile.

I've often imagined what Kreator's Pleasure To Kill (a near perfect album) would have sounded like had Mille sung all of it. This early experience put me off the dual vocalist concept, given that I vastly preferred one voice over the other. I honestly cannot think of anywhere it has worked well for me, but I'm sure there is something I have missed where it is done just fine.

I've often imagined what Kreator's Pleasure To Kill (a near perfect album) would have sounded like had Mille sung all of it.

Yeah Ventor's vocal efforts are utterly terrible, I saw them live not long ago and had a large chuckle when they pulled out Riot of Violence. I can't believe they still play it.

Yeah Ventor's vocal efforts are utterly terrible, I saw them live not long ago and had a large chuckle when they pulled out Riot of Violence. I can't believe they still play it.

Wow, that is surprising. I didn't think he still did any vocals - though honestly I haven't seen Kreator live since perhaps the early 90's. Still...he should stick to drumming - that is clearly his forte!:kickass: