bands you though should have made it.

baldyboy

Sep 2, 2003
planet thanet.uk.
www.paniccell.com
i gigged recently with the boys from fourwaykill.rob the drummer is a guy i knew way back from another band called beggars opera.years and years ago this band and the one i was in at the time played a lot of gigs together,and i really thought that out of all the bands i knew,they would make it and be huge.they were a cross between rage against the machine and pantera,but doing the stuff at the same time as those two bands just started to come to prominence-around 1990ish.so at the time they seemed v.v orig,and cool with it.

all you boys must have gone to see bands,in local venues and supporting bigger acts,who have subsequently dissapeared without trace-give em a mention here,relive some old memories! :D

ROXUS from Australia had one album with one hit single and disappeared. Back in the late 80s and early 90s they got the support slots on Bon Jovi & Warrant's tours etc too. They ruled!

VAIN should have been bigger. "No Respect" is one the best sleaze albums of all time.

BLACK N BLUE! One of the early bands too, don't know how they didn't get more fame! They had everything! In my opinion their albums were definitely in the same league as the big LA bands from the same time and far better than alot of bands who made it bigger too.

Plus a lot of really good bands who just popped up too late in the scene: Hericane Alice, Cold Sweat, Tuff, Erotic Suicide, Heaven's Edge, Gypsy Rose, Wicked Kin, etc etc.

There's a great band in my area who could have been huge when the "euro melodic metal" movement rose some years ago, and I still think they're better than most of well known bands in the genre.
They were called Hamadryade, they play under the name of Dryade now, but their music is darker and much more progressive nowadays, still good fortunately.

Their first demo in 1997 was waaaaay better than the thousands Helloween sub-clones labels release nowadays, a great mix of Helloween and old Megadeth, but they'll probably never manage to be known outside the local area, too bad...

I would've loved to see Sanctuary go on... but if they didn't disband, there wouldn't be Nevermore, which is one of my favourite bands. However, Sanctuary was amazing... I would've liked to hear more than two albums by them.

many bands
Mayfair : one of the best prog bands ever, definetally on the top 3 european prog band list , their style was too innovative and with more inspiration than most people probably couldnt handle. They were lost, while every single prog fan was searching for another Dream Theater copy band.
Apollo Ra: their power metal was OUTSTANDING and they just released a demo (!), in the vein of the first Crimson Glory's album (but BETTER imo) , killer u.s. metal.
Confessor : aah , the perfect mix of Solitude Aeturnus and Cynic? probably yes.
and above all : PSYCHOTIC WALTZ (best 90s band )

I always thought Wrathchild America would get bigger than they did, but when their first album was delayed almost a year they missed the window. Plus I still say that after they toured with Pantera they ripped off Wrathchild's sound.

Sixx-- Bootsauce?!!!!!!!! Are you kidding?!!!!!!

I also agree with Greeno about Wrathchild America. They were really one of the top thrash/speed bands out there. Powermad was as well. Misha Calvin (who I have been trying to turn everyone on to is good as well. Tad Morose has been around a long time and they are an excellent band mostly just known around Europe.

Bryant

One way or another.

Black Knight (CAN)
Pariah (UK)
Culprit (USA)
Sortilege (FR)
Shallow Grave (UK)
Warhead (UK)
Angelwitch (UK)
Tokyo Blade (UK)
Imperium (NL)
Witchfinder General (UK)
Ark (NOR)

bands I can quickly think about ; Culprit, Helstar, Znöwhite, Legend, Anvil, Nasty Savage, Diamond Head, Laaz Rockit, Magnum, Jag Panzer, Candlemass ,Savage Grace, Damien Thorne, Metal Church ,Toxik, Warlord ..... some had a good time, but deserved much better, while others made some real bad albums and were forgotten.
But I think luck has a lot to do with it, like ,just to mention one, I don't understand the fuzz about Guns and Roses, I've seen little bands in pubs perform 10 times better live....huhu, where are the fans that are gonna shoot me ??

carnut said:
bands I can quickly think about ; Culprit, Helstar, Znöwhite, Legend, Anvil, Nasty Savage, Diamond Head, Laaz Rockit, Magnum, Jag Panzer, Candlemass ,Savage Grace, Damien Thorne, Metal Church ,Toxik, Warlord ..... some had a good time, but deserved much better, while others made some real bad albums and were forgotten.
But I think luck has a lot to do with it, like ,just to mention one, I don't understand the fuzz about Guns and Roses, I've seen little bands in pubs perform 10 times better live....huhu, where are the fans that are gonna shoot me ??
no way... as I agree ;)

Warlord could have been huge yep, Metal Church as well if they had rushed a little bit more their first album.

Fear of God. Their debut "Within The Veil" is still one of the best metal albums ever. If Dawn Crosby hadn´t had a serious alcohol problem (which led to her death five years later) and if the line-up hadn´t completely changed after the release of "Within The Veil" due to heavy disputes between Dawn and guitarist Michael Carlino (they had written all songs on "WTV" together), things might have turned out differently for them.

Sometimes I wonder whether the reason why certain bands never got beyond underground status was that they were just too "original" to gain a bigger audience or that they were just at the wrong place at the wrong time or that they didn´t have a special/provocative image.

Two other bands that have to be mentioned are Anacrusis (who really had developped a style of their own) and Coroner, one of the best thrash metal bands ever. Personally, I rank Coroner higher than the "big names" of thrash metal (you know who I´m talking about), though I have to add that I might have never found out what an excellent band they are, if I hadn´t seen them live together with Watchtower. I hadn´t heard them before, but their concert made me a "convert".

Of those bands already mentioned, I agree that Helstar, Znowhite (especially after their thrash metal masterpiece "Act Of God"), Candlemass, Toxik and Psychotic Waltz also would have deserved more attention than they actually got.

I think that Candlemass got the attention they deserve. Everyone aknowledges them as the best doom band ever (except Sabbath of course) and they played many shows back then, and now with great audiences.

I'd love to see Angel Witch, Overkill, Armored Saint and Savatage get big. Savatage technically did get big with Tran Siberian Orchestra, but i mean real Savatage. And in 1989, they had a college radio hit with Gutter Ballet and i believe the song Edge Of Thorns cracked the top 40 for like a week. But i mean totally big. And there's this one band from the bay area, they're pretty obscure, but they kicked ass, man. They're called Metallica. But...on second thought, i can't really see them go big.

~metal_maiden~ said:
I would've loved to see Sanctuary go on... but if they didn't disband, there wouldn't be Nevermore, which is one of my favourite bands. However, Sanctuary was amazing... I would've liked to hear more than two albums by them.

I really like Sanctuary, in fact I perfer them over Nevermore any day. I seem to be the only one who thinks Refuge denied is better Mirror.... Both great bands I just like the higher screams.

Sinner Rider said:
I really like Sanctuary, in fact I perfer them over Nevermore any day. I seem to be the only one who thinks Refuge denied is better Mirror.... Both great bands I just like the higher screams.
No, you're not the only one. I also prefer Refuge Denied over Into The Mirror Black. Into The Mirror Black doesn't have "Battle Angels"!

"And faaalll....OOOOON YOOOOUR KNEEEES!"