Beer

Stuff I picked up tonight. Bomber's of Fraoch Heather Ale, Hobgoblin, & Samuel Smith's Organic Cherry. Also a sixer of Hobgoblin & a 4 pack of Skull Splitter Ale. I went to several places to try to find some other Wychwood beers, but all I can find is Hobgoblin. That's okay though, it's becoming one of my favorites.

Oooh yes, I remember having that Heather Ale in Scotland! Man, that was an awesome beer, a bit sweet and quite, well, thick, hard to describe, when I had it from the keg in a pub. Highly recommended! I also liked the Hobgoblin Ale, but didn't have a lot of it. My favourite beer is Krounenberg, which is a beer from Belgium I think, well, I usually have it in England, they sell it in nearly every pub. I also like the occasional Newcastle Brown Ale.

Well, here in Germany we do have an awful variety of beers, I personally enjoy honey beers like Odin Trunk. But you can easily create your own mead beer, just buy a bottle of mead and some dark beer and mix according to taste (approx 1/3 mead or less). This is what I enjoy drinking at medieval markets.

We also have quite a range of wheat beers here, I'm not an expert, but we do have a nice German company called after the infamous German pirate Störtebeker. They have a range of nice beers, among them many wheat beers, that are good.

I can strongly recommend Rockbier, check out their webpage! www.rockbier.com Great attitude, beer tastes wonderful!

Apart from those beers I like Carlsberg, Heineken and other lagers, here in northern Germany especially Astra, Flensburger, Jever, Dithmarscher or Holsten, but to be honest, there are so many good and nevertheless cheap beers available here! There's a beer simply called "5,0 Original" which costs 0,39 Euro (like half a dollar) per half litre can and that is really tasty!

Stuff I picked up tonight. Bomber's of Fraoch Heather Ale, Hobgoblin, & Samuel Smith's Organic Cherry. Also a sixer of Hobgoblin & a 4 pack of Skull Splitter Ale. I went to several places to try to find some other Wychwood beers, but all I can find is Hobgoblin. That's okay though, it's becoming one of my favorites.

I keep meaning to try the Heather Ale, but I've had the Kelpie. It's weird and good. Very low ABV, strong chocolate/mineral taste but a weaker body than I would've liked. I much preferred Harpoon's 100 Barrel Oyster Stout for my chocolate/mineral/dark beer fix, though it's a very different style of beer overall. Still comes highly recommended. Wychwood has always been a pretty good brewery for me (maybe a tiny bit overrated)... I've had several Hobgoblins and King Goblin (which I keep the bottle of because I don't see it around much...got at a specialty beer place). I actually beat Mass Effect while drinking a bottle of King Goblin, so it holds a little memory for me :lol: King Goblin is definitely just a stronger Hob, but it's a good beer in its own right. Basically a darker version with more toffee character and ~1.5% more alcohol.

About to finish off a 750ml bottle of La Fin du Monde. God, what a good beer. Definitely best tripel I've had.

La Fin du Monde is great...so is Maudite. Both are fantastic brews.

Tomorrow, my buddy and I are being interviewed by one of the local newspaper magazines. They're doing an article on craft beer culture, and one of the staff members knows me, so she gave her editor my contact info. I told the editor we'd be brewing tomorrow, and he wants to come and watch. We're brewing a weizenbock tomorrow and bottling our pumpkin ale, so it should be a busy day

latest purchases:
Dogfish Head - Palo Santo Marron (so good! Can't wait to try this one aged)
Russian River - Blind Pig (classic)
The Bruery/Dogfish Head - Faster Bigger Better Bolder (will try tomorrow)
Stone - Double Arrogant Bastard 2011 (haven't had it yet, but I'm sure it's amazing as always)

Oooh yes, I remember having that Heather Ale in Scotland! Man, that was an awesome beer, a bit sweet and quite, well, thick, hard to describe, when I had it from the keg in a pub. Highly recommended! I also liked the Hobgoblin Ale, but didn't have a lot of it. My favourite beer is Krounenberg, which is a beer from Belgium I think, well, I usually have it in England, they sell it in nearly every pub. I also like the occasional Newcastle Brown Ale.

Well, here in Germany we do have an awful variety of beers, I personally enjoy honey beers like Odin Trunk. But you can easily create your own mead beer, just buy a bottle of mead and some dark beer and mix according to taste (approx 1/3 mead or less). This is what I enjoy drinking at medieval markets.

We also have quite a range of wheat beers here, I'm not an expert, but we do have a nice German company called after the infamous German pirate Störtebeker. They have a range of nice beers, among them many wheat beers, that are good.

I can strongly recommend Rockbier, check out their webpage! www.rockbier.com Great attitude, beer tastes wonderful!

Apart from those beers I like Carlsberg, Heineken and other lagers, here in northern Germany especially Astra, Flensburger, Jever, Dithmarscher or Holsten, but to be honest, there are so many good and nevertheless cheap beers available here! There's a beer simply called "5,0 Original" which costs 0,39 Euro (like half a dollar) per half litre can and that is really tasty!

Dude, on the topic of hefeweizen, how do Germans view Paulaner? I really really like it and think it's a great example of German style wheat bear. If that's considered just an average beer, I would love to explore other brands.

Sun King had this awesome beer on tap yesterday and i wish i had my growlers with me. It's called Jungle IPA tasty with ABU of 10% 17.50 for a growler refill but imho def worth it. Then i went over to Flat 12 and partaked in the Cowtipper Bourbon Stout Tapping a couple of pints of that fine beer did the trick and a couple of more pints of their Flat Jack pumpkin ale was pretty good as well. I guess someone was telling me their about ready to open up a brewery in Fountain Square and Irvington so I might have to check those out as well.

Having a beer tasting with some of my friends tonight. We'll be consuming the following:

Stone 2008 Imperial Russian Stout
Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
Firestone Walker Parabola
Goose Island Big John
Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti 2010
Deschutes The Abyss 2010
Deschutes Jubel 2010 Once in a Decade Ale
Deschutes Black Butte XXIII

Palate Cleansers:
Oude Gueuze Tilquin à L’Ancienne
Oud Beersel Oude Geuze Vieille
Saison Dupont

Brooklyn BCS is one of the best Russian imperials I've had; good shit. Saison DuPont is far and away one of the best saisons in the world too.

JInis.jpg

overall, the Jubel 2010 and Oak Aged Yeti seemed to be fan favorites. The Parabola was pretty impressive in terms of its boldness, but the booziness was a bit overwhelming. We all agreed it could use a year or two of age. The Goose Island Big John received warm reviews. We all liked it because it wasn't as hot as BCBS or even Nightstalker.

Didn't make it to the Saison Dupont. Good stuff all around though.

It was pretty good. I was afraid it would taste infected since The Abyss is notorious for having off flavors, but the 2010 was quite delicious. That made me happy. Here's a picture of the awesome food spread:

O9QoT.jpg

Went to Cigar City's local tasting center on Friday. Tried the Humidor, Puppy's Breath, and Driftwood; all excellent (and impressively cheap, exactly four dollars per drink).