Beer

Interesting. 10 oz cans are pretty much the staple around here when it comes to the big three beer companies. Apparently, double blind test studies have been conducted and confirmed there's a taste difference, but I can't vouch on whether or not it came from a reputable source.

had a couple of meads from B. Nektar meadery today. I haven't had too many meads, and the ones I have had were really good.

These were not the meads I was hoping for. One was made with cherries and tasted like White Zinfandel. The other was made with mangoes and peppercorns and tasted like Pinot Grigio. This is definitely girlfriend material. What a disappointment considering how highly regarded B. Nektar is. Oh well.

I now have 3 bottles of Logsdon Oak Aged Bretta. I'm giddier than a schoolgirl

haven't tried it yet. It's a collaboration between Anchorage (hence the "arctic") and a sideproject of Hill Farmstead. I'm mildly optimistic about it. It's supposed to have a decent amount of brett funk to it.

Indianapolis has been getting weird with some of its brews Sun King has a grapefruit infused IPA called Grapefruit Jungle and Flat 12 I guess has a Cucumber Kolsch. Still go to the Bier Brewery from time to time to get a growler of Weizengoot and if they have it the Wiezenbock.

I'm not a big drinker, but I really only like heavy brews - more specifically IPAs. I refuse to drink that watered down bro crap. Harpoon is my favorite "big name" one, but if I'm at a bar/restaurant that has a local one on tap, I'll always try it.

Anyone here brew their own? My friend does, and I've helped him with it. So I have a lot of respect for people who do it cause it's an arduous process. And my uncle has been doing it for years.

I'm an avid homebrewer, but would love to do it more than I actually do. I take my time and I'd say from start to completely finished and cleaned up, it's between 4.5 - 5 hours for me. My favorite styles to brew are stouts, porters and experimental stuff such as doing modern renditions of historical styles.

I'm an avid homebrewer, but would love to do it more than I actually do. I take my time and I'd say from start to completely finished and cleaned up, it's between 4.5 - 5 hours for me. My favorite styles to brew are stouts, porters and experimental stuff such as doing modern renditions of historical styles.

Wait what? From start to finish? You usually have to wait a couple weeks for it to ferment before you bottle it, and then a couple more before you actually drink it (then again I could be wrong, I've only helped with the bitch work.)

Yeah he's just talking about the cleaning/brewing process. Same here. I haven't brewed in a while. Getting the itch to brew a saison and a nice IPA to hold me over during the school semester

Yeah he's just talking about the cleaning/brewing process. Same here. I haven't brewed in a while. Getting the itch to brew a saison and a nice IPA to hold me over during the school semester

Okay yeah, I guessed that was what he meant, if only he hadn't said "from start to finish"... lawlz.

And you brew your own and you're still in school? That's pretty impressive. I helped my friend with it while we were at school... no way my group of friends could make it last a full semester. =P

Was it like a chili beer?

Went on my first pub crawl the other day. Had about a dozen beers at 5 different local breweries, only hated myself a little bit the next day.

Breckenridge's taphouse beers are so much better than the stuff they bottle. Had an Imperial Stout brewed in 1972 and it was chocolatey and delicious.

Chili beers are next on my list because I am obsessed with spicy things, but this beer is pretty sweet and brewed with passion fruit. Chocolate beers is candy for adults, yum!

Bootleggers tapped a cask of their Black Phoenix Stout (which is already made with chipotle peppers) and added GHOST chilis to it. No thanks

Portland, Oregon beer report. Breweries visited:

1. Hair of the Dog. Wish I had spent more time here. Nice vibe. I'm pretty familiar with their beers. Had a Blue Dot DIPA and a taster of Red Dot which is Blue Dot aged in bourbon barrels with cherries. It tasted like Port.

2. Cascade Brewing & Barrel House. My girlfriend and I are big sour beer fans and fans of Cascade. Unfortunately, this place was a bit of a letdown. They had 12 sour/wild ales on tap, and only maybe 3 of them were really good (Figaro, Golden Mulberry from the barrel and the Elderberry). We were super bummed we weren't blown away.

3. The Commons. I was really looking forward to this place. Really nice setup. I love their beers. All farmhouse style ales. One of our favorites (and may have been my girlfriend's).

4. Upright Brewing. Weird that this was setup in a basement. Cool place. I love their saisons. Had a couple specialties on tap. Cheap prices too. Unfortunately, I missed one of their special bottle releases. Oh well. Snagged a special bottle at a bottle shop later though.

5. Deschutes Portland Brewpub. This place was absolutely insanely full of people. It was ridiculous. Great lineup of beers. They had about a dozen brewpub only beers. Had the Fresh Squeezed on cask which was bomb as fuck. Would go there again when there aren't fifty billion people there.

6. Breakside Brewing. This one was the wildcard and I wasn't familiar at all with. They ended up being my favorite. The atmosphere was great. The beers were all on point. Nothing too wild and ridiculous. Their food menu was absolutely ridiculous. Definitely going back there again.

Also visited a couple bars and bottleshops. Bailey's Taproom was a really cool bar. Reminded me of a Starbucks in terms of appearance and feel but with beer. Some pictures below:

1146735_10101049560434577_2031438811_n.jpg

972182_10101049941336247_1798447128_n.jpg

1002335_10101047409230607_62937755_n.jpg

and my haul:

577290_10101051982625487_2113638288_n.jpg

2 Cascade Brewing Figaro
1 Commons Flemish Kiss
1 Prairie/ St. Somewhere Carbone Colline
1x4 Fort George Vortex IPA
2 Breakside Brewing IPA
1 Upright Brewing Barrel Aged Flora

I actually bought a few bottles less than I anticipated which is probably a good thing. Now to detox for a couple of days before sipping on those IPAs.

Has anyone tried any local beers in the Southeast Massachusetts area? I came across a bunch at the store yesterday but was more concerned about what everyone else at the party would like.