Beer

:( I love Pranqster.

ddc30907-429d-4ac5-bac1-5d4e49ac641f_zps45e67bc1.jpg

... this ones for you MoL.:kickass:

^I have that one sittin in my fridge. I usually like Doppelbocks. How is it?

It's a solid offering. I consider it one of the "best value" doppelbock: tastes great and isn't too expensive. Also, more easy to find since Spaten has been part of InBev. Purely based on taste, my preference is for Celebrator or Korbinian, but nothing wrong with Optimator.

It's a solid offering. I consider it one of the "best value" doppelbock: tastes great and isn't too expensive. Also, more easy to find since Spaten has been part of InBev. Purely based on taste, my preference is for Celebrator or Korbinian, but nothing wrong with Optimator.

ditto on all of this except I've never really been a fan of Korbinian. It's been a while though, so maybe I need to give it another try

You always run the risk of having those imports be well past their prime. It often does no harm to the Belgians, but if those German imports get up around a year or older, I don't think they're going to improve, even if on the stronger side.

http://www.thewire.com/business/2014/09/russians-have-taken-over-pbr/380511/

Is this going to change anyone's drinking habits? I know this thread is mostly focused on craft and high end imports, but there's certainly a place for a beer that you can buy in packs of 24 or 30. InBev and SABMiller are foreign to various degrees already too, but Russia seems to cross a line for me. I really don't want to support this group.

The previous PBR group had already consolidated all the "little guys" seen in the article, so drinking an Old Style, Lone Star, Natty Boh, Olympia, etc., hasn't really been the support of local business that so many people want it to be.

I'd love to see an independent American brand take cheap-ish lager production on a national scale, but considering the amazing volume of beer the big guys brew to achieve those economies of scale, it seems unlikely that anyone could compete on cost. Yuengling doesn't seem ready to go west yet. Does Wal-Mart or Costco have a house beer? They could probably do it, but that would almost be worse. Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, or Lagunitas have never shown real interest in selling a volume lager or cheap pale ale/cream ale.

I don't think any craft brewers will want to do it, because a.) mass-market lagers/cheap ales bore them, b.) brewing enough quantity to reduce costs will take too much labor and capacity away from other offerings, c.) a cheap product will cannibalize their other offerings and/or reduce their prestige, d.) most are too small to achieve an effective economy of scale.

I will miss Schlitz, which is the best beer involved in this takeover, but High Life meets most of my cheap beer needs at $13 for 30. Schlitz at $9 for 12 is a bit tastier, but I might as well go local at that point and sacrifice quantity for quality.

Yeah the closest I could think of is Trader Joe's line(s) of beers. The Mission St series were brewed by Firestone Walker and were a great deal. I heard about this PBR deal the other week. It won't effect me really, but I can definitely see your point on wanting to vote with your dollar in this case. There's also the argument though that if you're buying beer that's still brewed in America then you're still supporting American brewers and American jobs...just that you're also supporting the European (or in this case Russian) conglomerate that owns them to a degree as well.

The fact that Americans have strayed away from lagers and pilsners has bummed me out too. There's a tiny brewery in Nor Cal called Moonlight which pretty much largely focus on lagers. Their Reality Czeck pils is one of my favorite goddamn beers. My local favorite brewery cranks out a few lagers a year, but it certainly isn't their flagship style and is typically only available during summer. Perhaps once the obsession over 100+ IBUs and barrel aging everything we'll focus on flavor and drinkability? I don't know.

I'd also love for Yuengling to expand out west, but I doubt that would happen. /rant

Drinking Ommegang Three Philosophers tonight. Very complex, lots of stuff going on with this one. I like it, it's not something I would drink all the time. I bet some of you would like it a lot though. it's one of those worth buying one of to try it out. Can't think of another beer that tastes like it. It's kind of close to a barleywine I guess.

I'd love to see an independent American brand take cheap-ish lager production on a national scale, but considering the amazing volume of beer the big guys brew to achieve those economies of scale, it seems unlikely that anyone could compete on cost.

Jack's Abby is kinda doing this, though I'm not sure how far they are from actually doing it nationally. One of their newest beers is called Framingham Lager and it's essentially an American pale light lager. http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26520/119339/

Picked myself up some of New Holland's Ichabod (somehow managed to drop the ball on getting any last year so jumping on it early this year), Founder's Mosaic Promise (not really sure what to expect from this), and Southern Tier's Warlock (really excited for this.)

cracked open a Prairie Bible Belt tonight. It's their collaboration with Evil Twin. Fantastic imperial stout. Not nearly as hot as Bomb. Love it

ditto on all of this except I've never really been a fan of Korbinian. It's been a while though, so maybe I need to give it another try

Weihenstephaner is one of the best German breweries, imo, can't hardly go wrong with anything they make. I actually find Korbinian and Celebrator to be relatively similar in taste, so maybe you had an old one?

Drinking Ommegang Three Philosophers tonight. Very complex, lots of stuff going on with this one. I like it, it's not something I would drink all the time. I bet some of you would like it a lot though. it's one of those worth buying one of to try it out. Can't think of another beer that tastes like it. It's kind of close to a barleywine I guess.

This is from more or less my neck of the woods, and I've had it many times. It's categorized as a Belgian quad; it's a blend of a strong dark ale they brew and a cherry lambic (kreik) from a Belgian brewery.
In general I don't drink as many Belgian-style ales as I used to, but I'll always have a soft spot for Ommegang.

Weihenstephaner is one of the best German breweries, imo, can't hardly go wrong with anything they make. I actually find Korbinian and Celebrator to be relatively similar in taste, so maybe you had an old one?

Definitely possible, and I love Weihenstephaner. Guess I'll have to revisit and maybe do a side-by-side with Celebrator...for science