Beer

Drank the Korbinian tonight. I seem to like everything by Weihenstephaner so far. Without trying them side by side, I have to say Optimator is a bit more tasty though.

I'm definitely not big on hops. I like a good proper(or foofooed) ale or witbier.

Edit: To clarify, "foofoo-ing" a beverage is to mix it with various "unmasculine" things like fruit, milk, etc.

Picked up a six of Rivertowne Grateful White. Pretty fucking good wit, which is a favorite style of mine. Love the ol coriander/orange peel combo in general i think.

Edit: im with Dak, and tend to shy away from things like IPAs. They just are too bitter for my pussy face. Anyone have a good beginner suggestion there?

IPAs take a while to get into but once you're in, you're in. I think starting with one of the finest such as Ballast Point's Sculpin' couldn't be a bad way to go. A lot of the west coast IPAs have a citrusy hop that isn't over the top bitter. Hoponius Union by Jack's Abbey is a great IPL that goes down easy.

Actually, anyone have any IPLs to recommend?

The IPA that got me started was actually Stone Ruination. It was just so damn hoppy that I could barely drink it at first. But it was all I had left in the fridge and I was determined to have a good time that night (was going to a rave). Forcing myself to drink it did just as advertised on the bottle. Ruined my palate for lesser beers for awhile. It's kind of like diving in the deep end to learn how to swim, but if you're up for that, give it a shot.

If you want to go more gradually try hoppy red beers first maybe. Stuff like Ritual Extra Red.

Lagunitas IPA is a pretty weak IPA that seems popular. Not my favorite but I consider it IPA light.

Ballast Point Sculpin (or Big Eye) was a great suggestion.

Here are some comments on Stone Ruination from beeradvocate.com:

"The taste jumps up and runs a goddamn number on your palate. Hops, hops, hops, and more hops. The hops have a huge pine taste surrounding them, kind of like drinking a liquid tree. "

"An alpha acid hop-drop kick to the tongue is pretty much how I would describe the Ruination IPA. "

"The flavor is wall-to-wall hops, but it isn't as abrasive as expected. A tidal wave of hop flavor hits the taste buds instantly and maintains its intensity through the long, bright, hoppy finish."

If you really want to get into hops.. that's the way to go.

I've had one really good IPA and cannot remember now what it was. Something my brother brought from Alaska, something on the label had to do with a surfboard I think (not "ALASKAN IPA" though). Harpoon was drinkable.

lol, Ruination is definitely not something i'd recomend for someone who's still afraid of hops. If anything, he should try the regular Stone IPA before jumping to that one. Their Go To IPA is probably the one he's looking for though. All three are great.

New Belgium's Ranger is also pretty good and wont overwhelm "IPA beginners".

edit: Kona's Castaway would also be a pretty good choice.

Ruination, are you kidding? Even if you like IPAs you shouldn't drink that beer. It's not good.

Fruitier IPAs are better for beginners to help appreciate the those flavor notes that are sometimes underneath the bitterness in other IPAs. Bell's Two Hearted is a good choice if available. Or maybe a maltier imperial IPA like Dogfish Head 90 Minute.