Beer

Ruination, are you kidding? Even if you like IPAs you shouldn't drink that beer. It's not good.

Disagree, it's one of the best if you like hops. And beeradvocate gives it 97 world class rating.

Ayinger makes one of my favorite Oktoberfest beers. Warsteiner is decent on tap. I haven't had a really good American one.

In regards to the intro to IPA thing...

My opinion is to first start with Pale Ales. If you like them, then there is the possibility for liking IPAs. You don't have to enjoy IPAs...god knows there are plenty of beers out there that aren't IPAs. But let's say you do enjoy a good pale ale here and there. Now the next step is to determine what you like in a pale ale? If you like malty flavor, then stick with a good east coast/mid west IPA like Bell's Two Hearted (as suggested above). If you find yourself longing for pine-y, dank, frutiness, then grab yourself a west coast IPA. Very few IPAs from the west coast are malt forward, except for maybe some IPAs from the pacific northwest.

Ruination, are you kidding? Even if you like IPAs you shouldn't drink that beer. It's not good.

Fruitier IPAs are better for beginners to help appreciate the those flavor notes that are sometimes underneath the bitterness in other IPAs. Bell's Two Hearted is a good choice if available. Or maybe a maltier imperial IPA like Dogfish Head 90 Minute.

I agree about Ruination, quite overrated. I also agree with Two Hearted and 90 minute.

I'm starting to appreciate the bourbon barrel aged beers. Had a Lakefront imperial pumpkin aged in bourbon barrels last night and it stands out as one of the better pumpkin brews I've had.

I've got some friends coming over from out of state tonight. Luckily, they're fans of sours and saisons which are perfect with it being 97F outside

Just had a bottle of Evil Twin's Sour Bikini (collab with Intangible Ales out of Pennsylvania)... holy crap! 3% session sour with a lot of great hop support and a surprisingly fruity lactic punch. Nice puckering flavor, vibrant carbonation and even a nice touch of malt at the finish so it's not bone-dry. Gulpable but would love to split another with friends... expensive ($13.50 for a bomber, but it's Evil Twin, :lol:) but awesome!

So recently over the last couple of weeks I've gotten into beer tasting. I'm still in the noob phase but I'm trying beers I've never had before which is a lot of fun. Bought a six pack of Dos Equis today and I'm really regretting it. I'm starting to think this doesn't even have any alcohol in it. That's how bad it is, I enjoyed Sam Adams October fest though.

Can anyone shoot some noob recs at me?

So recently over the last couple of weeks I've gotten into beer tasting. I'm still in the noob phase but I'm trying beers I've never had before which is a lot of fun. Bought a six pack of Dos Equis today and I'm really regretting it. I'm starting to think this doesn't even have any alcohol in it. That's how bad it is, I enjoyed Sam Adams October fest though.

Noob recs (easy to drink and sold at most stores):

Sam Adams Boston Lager
Newcastle
Any hefeweizen (Blue Moon etc.. German ones are better though)
Killian's Irish Red
Michelob Amber Bock
Boddington's Pub Ale

If you want to get into the good stuff look for those big single bottles that seem too expensive though. Probably stay away from IPAs and the like at first. IPB, IPL, Anything with three letter initials. Look for craft beers that have names like Brown or Amber or Red ales. These are the easiest to drink starting out imo.

You have to determine one thing first - do you like hoppy tastes or not.

I didn't figure this out until a few years ago and as a result my overall beer opinion was skewed to "I don't like it" when in reality I just needed to have stuff without such a ridiculous amount of hops and more malts - as a result I found my home with stouts and porters.

I always say try something from every style. As Mort said, if you can determine whether you like hops or not will also act as a guide. These are my rough recs for beginners

New Belgium Fat Tire
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
DuPont Saison or Ommegang Hennepin
North Coast Old Rasputin
Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier

that ought to give you a good idea on things. If you enjoyed DuPont or Ommegang and Weihenstephaner, then you'll like most German and Belgian style ales. If you enjoyed Old Rasputin and/or Fat Tire, then go with malts. If you were intrigued by Sierra Nevada, explore pale ales.

Figure out the flavors you like first and go from there

The last few posts have it pretty much covered but i'll add that variety packs are the way to go for someone who is just getting into craft beer. Recently picked up the Sierra Nevada and Sam Adams variety packs ... you cant go wrong with either one. Also, try the Dos Equis Amber, much better ... only mexican beer i can think of that i enjoy more is Bohemia.

If you liked the Sam Adams Octoberfest try some of the traditional German marzens/festbiers like Paulaner and Spaten.

a7f18e82-f5c3-4b63-9d3e-b82369454982_zpsb668db9f.jpg

...starting off the saeson the proper way!

Wow thanks guys that should keep me busy for awhile. :kickass: My pallet will definitely evolve as I keep trying beers. I'm still trying to learn all of the terminology and I'm working on trying to understand what I'm actually tasting and picking out all of the little flavors. All I know at this point is just whether or I like it or not. I liked the strong and sharp taste of Sam Adams Octoberfest. I've only been drinking the American stuff, Yuengling and Sam Adams are the ones I've enjoyed so far. But I will begin to venture out as time goes on. I'm gonna give Yuengling Black and Tan a shot tonight, which will be my first dark beer. I went out and bought six packs of Yuengling Black and Tan and some more Sam Adams.

I don't like this Dos Equis Ambar because it tastes almost too smooth and too easy to drink. Aside from the usual beer taste there's another nuanced flavor that I can't really describe that doesn't sit well with me for some reason. I feel like I could sit here and pound these all night and not even get buzzed. Irish and German beer is interesting to me though, I'll probably work my way over to those once I kill off the rest of the Dos Equis and the two six packs I bought. My fucking recycling bin outside is loaded up to the brim with beer bottles. My neighbors probably think I'm an alcoholic lol. I don't think I've gone through this much beer in my whole life, oh well.

The Yuengling B&T gets my approval. It has a very mild coffee/caramel flavor to it and is an overall very pleasant beer to drink. The taste isn't overpowering or underwhelming either. It has a very distinct rich dark flavor to it that is hardy and satisfying. Would definitely buy this again. I've already had two and I think I'll have one more.

I don't see the point in taking half measures for people just getting started on good beer. I would pass on Fat Tire, Blue Moon, SNPA (way more bitter than most pale ales anyway), Newcastle (Coca-Cola in beer form), or anything that beer enthusiasts don't want to drink.

I would go for Franziskaner or Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen, Allagash White, Guinness Extra Stout (not Guinness Draught), a common Belgian like Leffe Blonde, any Samuel Smith's beer, maybe a Firestone Walker Union Jack/Founders Centennial IPA/Lagunitas Lil' Sumpin Sumpin for a hoppy beer.