Beer

Any vintage of De Struise Pannepot. Also, St Bernardus Abt 12 is the original recipe for Westvletern 12. You also can't go to Belgium and not drink stupid amounts of Cantillon and Drie Fonteinen

Yeah the St Bernardus will definitely be drunk at some point! Good recs, will try to find them! I might have to pass on Drie Fonteinen though, not a big fan of lambics (unless they make other stuff, that's just what Google told me)

It's a porter. I think it's essentially the same as Liquid Bliss except PB&J as opposed to peanut butter and chocolate. I have a 12oz Liquid Bliss at home that I will try later.

None of Deschutes beers are "holy shit" beers, except for maybe their special releases. Their six packs are all good but not mindblowing (except fresh Fresh Squeezed is fucking delicious). They're like the Sierra Nevada of the PNW
I got the "holy shit" out of alot of the New Belgium beers. Good stuff
The Ranger IPA is delicious for the price.

I think the special New Belgium releases are a lot better than their standard line of beers.

It's a porter. I think it's essentially the same as Liquid Bliss except PB&J as opposed to peanut butter and chocolate. I have a 12oz Liquid Bliss at home that I will try later.

Total Wine didn't have it. But I did pick up a four pack of Pumking and a bomber of Warlock. Stoked it's pumpkin season already. Also got a four pack of Monk's Café Flemish sour ale which I'm enjoying quite a bit.

Pumking and Warlock rule. Southern Tier is pretty underrated. There are a lot of good beer stores near me, so I have a lot of options. I hope you find it soon.

It's on tap at a bar near me too.

So, doing some homebrew maintenance today and day-drinking a bunch of shit I brought to my buddy's place. Let's start with what we're doing with our own stuff before I move on to what we're drinking. Sorry in advance for large pics (compared to some of the gargantuan shit posted in this thread I guess they ain't that bad though, :lol:)!

W8amKrR.jpg

Blueberries being washed before pasteurization @ 130F for about 20 min. About 10-11 lbs total... organic and about a week old!

HwU0D3R.jpg

Three variants, one base beer. In front is about a gallon of hefeweizen with a simple grist of pilsner malt, malted wheat and flaked wheat, hopped with Hallertau Mittelfrueh and using White Labs Hefeweizen IV yeast (the one known for being clove/spice-forward and lightly fruity with less banana). In the middle is most of the batch of that same beer but racked onto around 9½ pounds of fresh, organic blueberries. The third one is a small batch of the same base beer with a pound of blueberries, but with some Omega Labs lactobacillus pitched in to see if we can get it to sour. Needless to say, we're pumped to see how these come out.

Poc9fWAl.jpg

This... this is a 5 gallon bourbon barrel from a local microdistillery. It's now on its fourth use, so we decided to go all-out and inoculate the shit out of it with three strains of lactobacillus: the rest of the package used above for the small batch blueberry hefe plus a starter culture made from L. delbrueckii that we threw in last week to get it going... nothing goes to waste here, that's for sure. The beer inside it is a black gose made with midnight wheat malt in addition to normal wheat and pilsner malt. Being a gose, it's got salt and coriander as well, but the salt is alderwood-smoked because fuck it.

Anyway, here's what we've had so far today. It's literally taken me an hour to complete this post, so yeah.

hrWvAgkl.jpg

cheers fuckz

Dude you guys go all out. I can't imaging all the effort that shit took to put together so hopefully the end result is worth it. The flavorings sound nice, and the bourbon barrel is a nice touch of course.

This... this is a 5 gallon bourbon barrel from a local microdistillery. It's now on its fourth use, so we decided to go all-out and inoculate the shit out of it with three strains of lactobacillus: the rest of the package used above for the small batch blueberry hefe plus a starter culture made from L. delbrueckii that we threw in last week to get it going... nothing goes to waste here, that's for sure. The beer inside it is a black gose made with midnight wheat malt in addition to normal wheat and pilsner malt. Being a gose, it's got salt and coriander as well, but the salt is alderwood-smoked because fuck it.

cheers fuckz
That dark gose sounds awesome! I just used midnight wheat for the first time; excited to see how it comes out. In the past I've always used the dehusked carafa malts when I wanted to make a beer dark without making it too roasty. But I love trying new malts so I figured why not.

Yeah, that is an awesome setup. I plan to try a homebrew after I move at the end of the year.

Drinking this one now. It's excellent.

Before this, I had the Stone Delicious IPA. The hops were different than a lot of other beers, so it had a neat flavor.

I might have to pass on Drie Fonteinen though, not a big fan of lambics (unless they make other stuff, that's just what Google told me)

Basically what Andy said. That's like going to Ireland and not having a Guinness. Even if you don't like it, I'm pretty certain they don't let you back through customs until you've consumer at least one liter of lambic

I'm sure there are plenty of hipsters in Belgium who are too cool to drink lambics though. But yeah, you guys made your point. I'll try a lambic or two. Mind you, I haven't even gone to Belgium yet and I've drank upwards 20+ different Belgians at this point. Long story short, my extended family hooked up me up BIG time for this trip. I'll be driving up to Belgium tomorrow morning. The adventure continues, and by the gods, this vacation better not give me liver cancer...

I would love to try some of their stuff, but I don't think they distribute to Florida.