Beer

I don't find the spiciness overwhelming at all in the Habanero Sculpin. I'm having it now.

I think Habanero Sculpin is just the right amount of spicy. On the topic of spicy beers, I attended a Founders tap takeover a few weeks ago and got a bunch of great stuff (KBS and CBS full-pours included!), but one that definitely stood out to me was BLiS Blast. It's All Day IPA aged in bourbon barrels that previously held a bunch of their other stuff AND hot sauce. It was like a goddamn Bloody Mary, but a 5% beer! It's kinda getting trashed on BA, probably because peeps were expecting it to taste like the base beer, but if you go into it expecting a savory, spicy and sweet experience it is quite awesome. I was impressed how well it worked, to be honest.

Jenn, let us know what you think of Crime. I saw it and Punishment were re-released in C&C 12.7 oz bottles for a ridiculous price, something in the realm of $17 bucks. That's almost $1.50 an ounce! Fuck that, even if it's good. I passed on Southern Charred and Double Bastard in the Rye as well because of the same general pricing issue (those are a buck or two MORE... wtf guys). That coupled with the fact that Stone re-released Xocoveza in 12 oz bottles but seemingly-purposely allocated it in a "limited" fashion (for example, my Craft Beer Cellar, which sells TONS of Stone and moves it all at a very reasonable rate, got only a couple cases and limited it to two bottles per person at $3.50 a bottle!) means I'm worried that Stone is getting a bit greedy. I'll definitely have to keep an eye on this, as I was pretty excited by the idea of Enjoy By in sixers as a format decision, even though I'll very rarely actually want to buy it like that.

I haven't been drinking too much special stuff lately, but there have been a couple great things in the fridge. Let's see...

Baxter's new formulation of Bootleg Fireworks (yes it's named after THAT video!) is quite good, and better than last year's. Sorachi Ace, Summer, Citra, Ella and several other hops all lend it a nice, easy and bright feel even though it's like 9%.

I've been digging Foolproof Brewing's Peanut Butter Raincloud, a PB version of their year-round robust porter. Nice subtle peanut flavor with a slick, oily texture that works with the viscous and chewy malt backbone the base beer displays.

Just poured a bottle of Von Trapp's Trösten Lager. Von Trapp has got to be one of my favorite breweries in VT that nobody really cares about. They do ONLY German style lagers and they are fantastic at what they do. Not only that, but the place is owned by the very same Von Trapp family that The Sound Of Music is based on! They have a ski lodge right across the street from the brewery, even! Anyway, they've previously brewed very good versions of Vienna lager, Oktoberfest, Dunkel and Helles bock beer, so I'm anticipating this to be very good. Apparently, this is supposed to be a smoked schwarzbier style made for Winter enjoyment (Trösten translates to "comfort" or "solace"). Just poured into a weizen glass. Intense, billowy off-white head atop a daaaaark, unfiltered body. Smell is rich and meaty, with definite campfire/woodsmoke notes. On the tongue, it's light and playful yet robust and flavorful with notes ranging from cocoa and brown bread to deep beechwood smoke. Satisfying and definitely hearty drinking at 6%. Prost!

EDIT: Just went back a page to catch up on previous posts... Jenn, when you went to that beer fest, did you happen to go to the Anchor booth? If so, you received beer from my former professor and current good friend Jim. He was very instrumental in getting me into craft beer several years ago. Even if not, sounds like it was a great time.

Reactions: dwellerINTHEdark
I did go to the Anchor booth. I didn't know that the label and recipe of their Christmas beer changed yearly. It was informative.

Re: Crime

I like this beer. My tolerance for peppers and heat has always exceeded that of anyone else that I know and I can probably finish the bomber on my own without issue. The flavor is fairly complex. It was more expensive than I would like, but I guess that the process for making it was part of the reason.

Really liking the Dogfish Head Pennsylvania Tuxedo. It's an APA clocking in at 8.5% ABV with some spruce added in. It's fresh and pretty unique in flavor.

Attachments

• 20151204_130711.jpg
    20151204_130711.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: King Richard
So I see Yuengling has a new beer, an IPL. Not bad. Super roasty and just a bit heavier hoppy bitterness than the lager. Will definitely buy again for $6 per 6 pack.

Reactions: Omni
Yuengling Lager or Black and Tan
Same here actually. (Granted if I'm super broke I can drink disgusting shit like Keystone Light or Milwaukee's Best but yuengling is far superior for pennies more)

I did get some mega skunked yuengling a while back and it made me feel like utter ass... But that was the Rite Aids fault for not rotating stock and my dumbass for not checking the packaging, I'm sure.

Yeah, Yuengling Lager was my first beer that I actually liked, and I still drink it if I can get it without paying for it. I think that the main macro lagers are all insipid and they smell terrible.