Beer

:kickass: @ Old Fezziwig

Havent tried the Sparkling Ale yet .... not really interested either.

Todays lineup ...

CIMG4042_zpsv80gqfuz.jpg

euro lager ... meh.

DSC01329_zpsdb4frvsu.jpg

.. jew beer.

DSC01326_zpsqanswo46.jpg

... one of my favorite winter brews.

Reactions: King Richard
You have to go to specialty liquor stores or chains like Whole Foods or Total Wine in order to find the best beers, or you can try visiting local breweries in your area.

Reactions: Funerary_Doom
Whole Foods usually has a pretty solid selection. Samuel Smith definitely makes my favorite winter warmer.

So today was the initiation party for Modern Times League of Partygoers and Elegant People. I'm splitting a membership with another guy...he gets the bourbon barrel stuff, and I get the wild/sour ales, five of which were ready to pick up today. Got to try their apricot sour on tap and it was fucking tits. Tasted like apricot juice. I could easily drink it all day

Most of you know I'm a total homer for Modern Times, and it's for a good reason. They consistently make good beer, and their customer service is some of the best I've seen in any industry. With 100 breweries in San Diego county, it takes A LOT to stand out. As a result, Modern Times was voted Best Brewery in the county for 2015 by the readers of the main beer magazine down there

Went to The Hay Merchant in Houston last night. Had a Jolly Pumpkin order de calabaza which was a nice, mellow sour. Then I had a rodeo clown double IPA by a Texan brewery called Karbach. Flavor profile was unique which I appreciated. I then had an American wild ale by Belgian brewery Picobrouweij Alvinne called Wild West. More sour than the Jolly Pumpkin, which is what I crave. Wrapped it up with an oatmeal stout by Upslope out of Colorado. Amazing oatmeal profile with an excellent malt backbone. These brews went well with crispy pig ears.

Reactions: unknown
Went to The Hay Merchant in Houston last night. Had a Jolly Pumpkin order de calabaza which was a nice, mellow sour. Then I had a rodeo clown double IPA by a Texan brewery called Karbach. Flavor profile was unique which I appreciated. I then had an American wild ale by Belgian brewery Picobrouweij Alvinne called Wild West. More sour than the Jolly Pumpkin, which is what I crave. Wrapped it up with an oatmeal stout by Upslope out of Colorado. Amazing oatmeal profile with an excellent malt backbone. These brews went well with crispy pig ears.

Do yourself a favor and buy The Temptress by Lakewood Brewing while you are in Texas. Amazing beer.

Reactions: unknown
@Funerary_Doom: Sometimes you might luck out and find some good stuff at Ralphs, Vons/Pavillions etc.

That hannukah beer is from a brewery in NY, so you shouldn't have much trouble finding it. Some of the best beers i've had have been from the east coast .... Gandhi-Bot, Lunch, Heady Topper, etc. East coast IPAs are the best.

I'll definitely look out for those names. I've been meaning to try new beer. Will look up those places too. Tastiest thing I've had beer wise was a chocolate beer from Colorado at a bar. Stoked to try new shit, though.

I'll definitely look out for those names. I've been meaning to try new beer. Will look up those places too. Tastiest thing I've had beer wise was a chocolate beer from Colorado at a bar. Stoked to try new shit, though.

You should be able to find Brooklyn's Black Chocolate stout, which is fucking delicious

Reactions: Omni
Beer, it's what's for dinner.

image.jpeg

Came in a variety pack. Also bought a Sam Adams variety pack too. Didn't feel like going to liquor store since I was at Kroger so I bought those instead.

edit: Thoughts so far: Not bad. Strong notes of brownie, much lighter notes of caramel, and even lighter on the salt. Flavor is less intensive though, but very smooth and rich.

Last edited:
Yeah, I tried the Salted Caramel Brownie Brown Ale recently and it was okay. Not something that I need to buy again.