Beer

I opened this 2013 release Double Bastard earlier than I wanted to because I am moving in a few weeks and wanted less stuff to have to move. This is a regularly released beer that won't go away any time soon, so I can age another one in the future.

I'm still going to sit on a number of other bottles that I currently own after I move, especially because I'll have more space to waste on stupid shit like cellaring beer when I get out of this apartment and into a real house again.

Attachments

• 20151205_235437.jpg
    20151205_235437.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: unknown
Opened one of my Bourbon County Brand Stouts the other day since the day was a real shitshow. Beer was fantastic. Body was a little thin. Boozy and sweet. Delicious. I was able to snag four bottles but none of the variants...didn't feel like chasing trucks

Went up to Highland Park Brewery the other day to pick up some bottles I had ordered, Griffith J Griffith (imperial stout with coffee) and Neighborhood (funky wit beer). The GJG is delicious and dangerously drinkable. They still rank as one of my top LA area breweries (along with Beachwood, Smog City, Monkish, and Phantom Carriage).

20151208_231510.jpg

Founders Brewing Backstage Series: Project Pam

I like this. I really enjoyed another black IPA by Founders, Dark Penance. This one ramps up the ABV to 10% and is aged in maple syrup bourbon barrels, putting a spin on a familiar idea. It's got a very unique flavor. I'm digging it.

Reactions: unknown
Do you drink stouts or porters? Malty dark beers already have similar flavors to coffee and porter, so it's a natural progression to include those as adjunct ingredients.

I don't see them as related at all, and I brew my coffee thick and drink it straight black.I drink IPAs, Lagers, or Wits. I've tried both stouts and porters and don't like them. It's a flavor clash.

It makes sense that you wouldn't appreciate the obvious flavor similarities if you don't like the base beers that are generally used as a vehicle to add those flavors.

What IPAs are your favorites?

What IPAs are your favorites?

Pretty much any dry hop. I buy Red Hook Longhammer as much as I can afford to because it's the cheapest dryhop availabe here. Natty Green Southern Dry is probably the next cheapest. Torpedo/Celebration are the next.

20151210_202304.jpg

4 Hands / Bale Breaker / Stone Sorry Not Sorry IPA

This is probably the best of these Stone collaborations that I've had yet, aside from w00tstout. The peaches work surprisingly well with the fruitlike flavors of the hops.

I used to hate coffee stouts. I was even only a mild enjoyer of stouts up until a few years ago. However, just like with IPAs, I slowly trained my palate, and now coffee stouts, and stouts in general, are one of my favorite styles. Beachwood has some coffee stouts which taste like straight up coffee. Highland Park Brewery, right over by where TB lives, has a fantastic coffee imperial stout on right now called Griffith J Griffith...it'd 12% and does not taste like a high ABV beer AT ALL. It's incredibly dangerous

I have several 16-20% ABV beers in my possession right now. They're incredibly potent.

If I understood that article right, one 19% beer would probably fuck you up more than a 6 pack of macro lites.

oh yeah. You can't solo a Black Tuesday (er it's not advised), especially since it's the size of a wine bottle (750ml). It's best split among a couple of friends. I wish more breweries that did high abv beers did them in smaller formats like Dogfish Head does with Palo Santo Marron, 120 IPA, and World Wide Stout. Avery does it too with their special release barrel aged beers

CIMG4046_zpsqbomriuj.jpg

.. pretty solid Ofest from Hangar 24.

Target was having a sale, so the 2015 Samuel Adams Winter Classics 12-pack is only $12.99 so I figured that I would pick it up. At least it only has 2 Boston Lagers and 2 each of 5 other beers. Can't really argue with that price.