Beer

Yeah Tomoka is like 20 mins from where I live so I hit it up often. Had that white ipa last time and it was really solid. They have a decent line up. I like that they try to make sours, unfortunately "try" is the key word there.

Reactions: Omni
Opened a 2014 Abyss by Deschutes tonight with a buddy. The beer has aged wonderfully. Big chewy body but still pretty approachable. The minor barrel aging (11% in bourbon barrels, 6% in neutral oak barrels, 6% in wine barrels) really mellows the flavor out. Fudgy, chocolatey but also slightly licorice-y. Delicious. Got a 2013 Abyss for tomorrow night. Should be interesting to compare

tumblr_mwjhtjsmg81qedb29o1_500.gif

I finally got to try some PBR, they do tall cans which is rare for local beers here in Australia so it's an instant favourite on that alone. I hear it's considered the cheap juice over there in retard land, is that true? It's got a decent percentage for it's price.

PBR is the second cheapest beer I've encountered in WV, #1 is always Milwaukee's best. Both are drinkable.

Bottom tier in the states has to be that flavored malt liquor like four loko or mad baller. That shit is poison.

I've drank a fair share of King Cobra 40's when i was a youngster. :lol: I'd like to add Steel Reserve to that list too. But OE probably takes the cake.

PBR isn't bad for an adjunct lager. I like the regular Busch tall cans though when it comes to shit like that.

edit: Had a Hop Hunter IPA earlier and am currently enjoying a SN Celebration. :kickass:

Last edited:
The best Southern Tier beers that I've had were 2XPresso, 2XStout and Mokah. I think that they do better with stouts.

I do think that 2XIPA, 2XIBA and 2XOne are all good and worthy but not mindblowing beers. I haven't tried the new 2XSmash.

I genuinely enjoy Steel Reserve and drink it on a regular basis. It serves a purpose. Pour it in a glass and consider it an imperial lager. You might be pleasantly surprised if you get a fresh can.

I think Hue beer from Vietnam was the worst thing I ever had.

Kind of shocking that Southern Tier hasn't launched a bourbon barrel stout. I think they do big stouts as well as anyone.

image.jpg

Seriously guys no malt liquor or cheap beer that's at least "beer flavored" at heart can top this 12% can of poison. Multiple times trying to chug this did my body wretch forth, attempting to expunge the poison I was pouring down my throat. The chemical smell of artificial watermelon flavor filled my nose and subsequently my brain soon after further disorienting me. With about an inch left in the can my stomach decided the choking down of my own vomit would no longer be tolerated as it launched its final volley. A relief might have actually washed over me as 20 ounces of pure liquid hell evacuated my body had it not violently sprayed from my nostrils as well, burning them for what felt like days afterward.

I'm kind of excited to take the plunge and drink a 14% Four Loko Gold. As much booze in that can as a bottle of wine, what could go wrong? I couldn't find any indication whatsoever as to what it tastes like, so I'm in for a surprise when I have one. Yes!

I remember drinking a Four Loko back when they were new and still had the stimulants in them. Absolutely disgusting.

Did some cellar cleaning last night and invited friends over. This was pretty much everything we opened. The idea was I had several beers which I wasn't sure if they were still good or not. So I balanced them out with beers I knew would be good.

ENHd1my.jpg

Deschutes Green Monster: Not bad for a Deschutes sour. This was an infected beer that they released anyway. Pretty vinegary
Deschutes The Dissident 2014: Not really a whole lot going on here. A flanders style red ale that wasn't that sour or remarkable
Coronado Barrel Aged Stupid Stout 2015: Lamest beer of the night. Coronado sucks
Allagash Farm to Face: One of my favorite sour beers from last year, but the peach flavor fell off quite a bit.
Mission Street Anniversary 2012: Wholly unremarkable. A blend of three ales. Tasted like a beefed up brown ale
Avery Vanilla Bean Stout: Bourbon barrel aged with vanilla. It was good, but I wasn't blown away by it. Avery makes much better bourbon barrel aged beers than this one
Upright Anniversary Saison: Gin barrel aged saison. Refreshing. Loved it
Casey Wet Hopped The Low End: Casey is making some of my favorite saisons, and this was no exception. Really dry and bright
Alesmith Barrel Aged Grand Cru: Red wine barrel aged Belgian Strong Dark ale. Pretty good. Nicely nuanced
Highland Park Uncontrollable Saison: Funky and yeasty
Highland Park Neighborhood Witbier: Same as above
Sierra Nevada Barrel Aged Maillard's Odyssey: Pretty nice bourbon barrel strong ale. Not too overwhelming
The Bruery Barrel Aged 4 Calling Birds: Held up surprisingly well. Notes of allspice and cinnamon
New Glarus Wild Sour Ale: Further confirming my ambivalence towards New Glarus. This must be the fifth beer I've had from them that's failed to impress me. A vinegary, winey sour that just fell flat
Kern River Brewing Winter Ale: Great IPA from one of my favorite breweries.

I also made carnitas which turned out bomb. Woke up hungover this morning but not too bad surprisingly

aviary_1452894010616.jpg

Ballast Point Peppermint Victory at Sea

This is pretty good. The standard Victory at Sea is one of my favorite beers. The peppermint cools it off a little and makes it quite refreshing. I still prefer the standard version, but I would have this again if I had the chance.

aviary_1452660781148.jpg

Prairie Christmas Bomb!

Another special version of a beer that I already enjoy. The combination of holiday spices and the warm flavors of Bomb! is a unique idea. I would have this again too, but the 13% ABV is nothing to shake a stick at.

aviary_1452389616373.jpg

Mikkeller Beer Geek Flat White

I haven't enjoyed any of the other Beer Geek series beers as much as this one. It quite authentically replicates the flavor of a flat white, which is one of my favorite coffee beverages. Lovely.

aviary_1452298339925.jpg

Oskar Blues Hotbox

This isn't anything super unique, but it does represent the coffee porter trend quite well. One of the best ones that I've had without any other flavoring adjuncts.

aviary_1452894321542.jpg

Ballast Point The Commodore

I had this in Tampa a few months ago, and I was very happy to find it again in Orlando. It's a lovely stout with great roasty flavor. It's also cheaper than most of the other Ballast Point beers while being up to par with the best of them.

aviary_1452917346491.jpg

Stone Xocoveza for the Holidays & New Year

I was sad to have missed the original Xocoveza, so you can imagine my excitement when this was released! It's wonderful and authentically captures the flavors of Mexican hot chocolate. One of Stone's best.

aviary_1452382371803.jpg

Cigar City Cucumber Saison

I like saisons and I like cucumber water. This is a refreshing beer that combines both. If you don't like cucumber, you won't like this at all. I find that it works excellently in this beer.

aviary_1453020581235.jpg

Coppertail Seasonal Relief

I was somewhat disappointed by this one. It's a Baltic porter with goji and elderberries. The roasted malt flavors completely obscure any trace of the fruit flavor and aroma.

aviary_1452298250550.jpg

Cigar City Tocobaga

This can be hard to track down because it's a limited release. It's a wonderfully hoppy red and I will surely seek it out again. It's up there with other great Cigar City beers.