Beer

I actually don't think the Northwind IS is all that special. Do make an effort to get some Half Acre. I know they have problems distributing out of city limits, but Daisy Cutter is one of the best beers ever, so anyone who hasn't had it needs to make an effort. I probably drink more of that than any other beer ever. After having such easy access to Three Floyds Alpha King and Daisy Cutter, I don't think I can ever enjoy SNPA. Daisy Cutter is really different than the other two.

Daisy Cutter is fucking great. I mentioned HA even though I'm in Massachusetts because someone brought a can of Daisy Cutter to one of our tastings recently, from a relative they have down in Chicago. It was fantastic. I think it was more similar to Dale's Pale by OB but could've just been the can biasing me.

Three Floyds shit is fucking expensive, but I will probably get a sixer of Alpha King sometime. Their Amon Amarth and Arctic Panzerwolf are like $15 for a bomber. I can get like 48 PBRs for that price...

I would bathe in Three Floyds' Zombie Dust if it were socially acceptable. Hands down probably the best tasting Pale Ale I've ever had

I know Zombie Dust has a huge cult following, but I didn't think it was super impressive. There are other citra hop beers that are also pretty good.

Tonight I had Brooklyn Blast, which was a way better imperial IPA than I expected. Rather unique in that it was citric and light, but almost no piney or bitter notes. Try it if you find it.

So, since we were discussing black IPAs the other day, I was at a local place and saw this new brew from Wachusett Brewery (local MA place)... imperial black IPA with a bunch of weird hops (Zythos, Falconer's Flight, Calypso)... great!! Super hoppy, unbalanced and almost no malt but it was really enjoyable. Dark roasty character but no "flavor" from malts. They seemed to really only contribute to the charred mouthfeel. I was a big fan. My kind of black ale.

I honestly would have never thought this would work. But Bier Brewery made Weizen Bock this week so i tried a sample and bought a bullet of it. Really good and im a bit pissed the 3 Wise Men in broad ripple raised their growler prices but i picked up some Baltic Porter anyways still worth the ten bucks but for 2 bucks more for now on ill just go to Bier Brewery either that or wait until friday and get 5 dollar growlers at Sun King.

Had the Ipswitch IPA. Seriously one of the best that I've ever had. Excellent balance, great tasting hops, and the color was something to behold. I was pretty drunk when I was drinking it, so I don't remember much.

Not beer, but I got a bottle of Chaucer's Mead. It has a really nice honey flavor, tastes great. I don't have anything to compare it to though since I've never had mead before.

working on my first beer article for the Random Lengths, a local independent newspaper. Writing about winter ales.

Later on a buddy of mine is coming over. We're gonna have Logsdon's Seizoen with Brett and Alpine's Nelson. Logsdon is a brewery in Oregon that makes farmhouse style ales in a real farmhouse...like where animals are. I tried their Seizoen, which is their saison, and it was pretty good. I'm not sure if it was better than Saison Dupont, but it definitely had a nice, sweet character to it. I'm excited to try the Seizoen with Brett tonight since I'm a big fan of beers with brett in them.

Alpine's Nelson is an IPA that uses the very distinct Nelson Sauvin hop strain. Very unique, and it's really hard to describe. But it's Alpine, and they do no wrong.

so yesterday my friends and I made the drive down to San Marcos (just a little north of San Diego) to Churchill's Pub for Churchill's Renaissance. Big beer fest. We got there at about 330pm but people had been lining up before 6am because it's also the release of Churchill's Finest Hour, a rare imperial stout. By the time we got there, Churchill's Finest Hour, Pliny the Younger and Dogfish Head 120 were all gone, but there were still some amazing beers on tap.

Had a couple tasters of Kern River's 5th Anniversary DIPA. This was one of my favorite beers last year and goddamn it's still one of my favorites. I'd gladly drink it over Pliny anyday. Also had Lost Abbey's Ad-Lib, a bourbon barrel aged blend of three of their imperial stouts. Consecration Batch 2 was delicious.

This was half of the tap list

V9Hbg.jpg

my only beef was the place was packed. we were lucky to get a table. that being said, we still had a great time and didn't get plastered. Just enjoyed some outstanding beers