Beer

Picking up aromas does take practice. And if the beer is too cold, you're not going to get much. If you don't already, pour the beer fast enough to get an inch or two of head. This will release more of the aroma. Then if you can't identify what's going on, try looking up some reviews and seeing what you can find. Lower quality beers won't yield much, but quality and high abv beers should have a lot going on. Cigs are definitely not going to help though.

I had the 1554 one time. Seemed pretty good. Somewhat of an odd style, since the renowned Belgian dark ales tend to be dubbels and quads, which are much stronger. I should give this another try, even though I find the rest of New Belgium's lineup a bit tiresome.

Colder beer is absolutely a bad thing. Colder beer dulls your taste buds, preventing you from tasting the beer, which is a problem when you are drinking good beer. Colder beer is also less fragrant, again, something to avoid with quality beer.

You've been brainwashed by too many Coors commercials. Cold beer just masks bad flavors and aromas.
You have your own views on beer, I have mine. Cold beer ftw.

Very cold beer prevents you tasting some bitter agents (don´t know if that is the reight word, but you know what I mean) in beer. It is just down to taste in the end. I am not a Chemist, but I guess that is also why Red wines, good whiskys or Cognac are best well tempered at 16-18C (not the bitter agents but other flavor characteristics). I like my beer best at about 7-10C. I guess that is about the tempereture when it comes out of the fridge and stands a few minutes.

dont they serve lagers at room temp in england?

i prefer my ales to sit out of the fridge for about 5 mins before drinking. once the bottle is covered in condensation, its good to go
~gR~

Just ordered a few beers because the store in the little hole I'm living in right now doesn't carry anything decent, ordered:

Rochefort 10
Rochefort 8
Yeti Imperial Stout
Slottskällans Imperial Stout
Indianviken Pale Ale
Bedarö Bitter
Hell

Probably comes sometime next week, should rule.:kickass:

Vilden knows the score. Those are some good choices.

I'm drinking Leinenkugel's Northwoods Lager tonight since I'm trying to save a few bucks. It's actually pretty good for the price. If you're in the Midwest, maybe track down this or Point Belgian White for some good cheaper, but not shit, choices.

I've also got a Fuller's 1845 in the fridge for another time. Should be good.

The best beer I had lately was Goose Island Matilda. I also sampled some oddball Polish and Ukrainian beers from the neighborhood. Nothing worth looking for.

It's late on Friday night, and no one's talking about beer. How sad.

I had a Fuller's 1845 tonight, and it was awesome. I envy the English for this beer. Then I finished off my six-pack of the Northwoods Lager.

Yeah, it's the same style. At $5 a six-pack, it's a much better value than Hoegaarden or Blue Moon. You should give it a try. It should be easy enough to find. Great Lakes Holy Moses White Ale and Allagash White are other examples that I think are very good, but the Point one is the cheapest that still retains the basic good qualities of the style.

Hoegaarden is great, but being laid off It'll break the bank.
I'm resorting to 30 packs of shit lately:lol: but tomorrow night i'm going to treat myself.

Just tried Sam Adams Summer Ale last night and I am heavily disappointed. Must not have the same ingredients as Goose Island's Summer Brew. The first beer was okay but went downhill from there on out. I like Sam Adams White Ale way better and will be buying that from now on.