Beer

whats the general consensus on Leinenkugel beer?

i like the sunset wheat. and the cool thing is, alot of bars have it on tap here. aint the best wheat in the world, but way better than alot of beer available on tap here.

ok, I'm looking for sweet, not too bitter, dark beers. either oatmeal or barley, to finish off the winter season. recommend me something I can easily find in a grocery store or local liquor store.

Bristol Winter Warlock
Breckenridge Oatmeal Stout
Sam Smiths Oatmeal Stout and Winter Ale
Lost Abbey (anything)
Avery The Reverend

all of those are very dark and very sweet.
~gR~

Brooklyn BCS is nice. A really good deal. I thought 120 was excellent.

Picked up the Dundee craft sampler. Good value. I'm not expecting anything awesome, but with 6 different beers, at least I won't get bored. The IPA was ok. Sharply bitter and dry, but didn't taste fresh.

Nut brown? Do you mean the Honey Brown? That's the last one I have lined up. The porter was solid, but the others (IPA, Pale, Wheat, Pale Bock) have been middling, but all drinkable. Not bad for the price. I'd rather drink 6 different beers in a night than 6 Bass ales, or 6 Beck's.

Compared to regular Budweiser, the American Ale is much better. I still don't like it though. I'd rather buy a Yuengling. They're trying to compete with the seemingly recent increase in interest of microbrews.

I've been staying cheap lately, drinking mostly Yuengling and Sam Adams (Cream Stouts and Black Lagers)

There are a few different kinds. The Yuenglin Lager is the most common. It's a traditional pilsner. They also make a Black and Tan that is delicious; it's a kind of pilsner/porter blend (I'd compare it to Amberbock, but better). They also make a porter and an Ale, called Lord Chesterfield Ale, that are slightly harder to find. The Lord Chesterfield is nothing special, but the porter is very good.

Compared to regular Budweiser, the American Ale is much better. I still don't like it though. I'd rather buy a Yuengling. They're trying to compete with the seemingly recent increase in interest of microbrews.

Their Winter Casket Ale wasn't bad. it was actually pretty decent. The bar on campus sold it for $3.25 a glass, whereas the other beers cost $5.25 a glass

I'm just about done with the Dundee 12 pack. I assume this is pretty available. It's really not a bad value for $10-11. The porter is a very good one. By far the highlight. It's as good or better than SN Porter or Anchor Porter. The Wheat is interesting, almost like a wheat pilsner. I didn't mind. I also liked the pale ale, which was less aggressive than something like SNPA. The IPA is mild as far as most IPAs go, but it's fair. In general they hit all the style points. Not as good as a Sam Adams variety pack, but you're spending $3-4 less. Getting 6 varieties is always nice in a time when most breweries ship out 3 or 4. Good if you want to split a box of beers with someone over an evening, and I can't argue with the price. That part is as good as it gets.

So I'm drinking an Anchor Porter right now, I think it is suprisingly good, considering I've never been a fan of their Steam Beer or the Liberty Ale which are the other beers I've tried from the same brewery.

Wow, DFH Olde School is something else. Great beer. As far as barleywines go, this is the best I've had. The thing about Bigfoot is that if I want an IIPA, I can go and get one. Olde School is all about fruity malt flavors, with a big-but not bitter-hop presence. It's boozy at 15%, but $5 a single is not a bad price, really.

I also had the Aventinus Eisbock tonight. Good, but not as amazing as I had hoped. I liked it though, but $5 a 11.2 oz. bottle is a little pricey.

Maybe it's not a good idea for me to admit this, but beer makes me feel ill. Is it something that people are just naturally inclined to or does everyone have some kind of pleasure/pain thing going on with the damn stuff? I can't enjoy it, ever. The whole moldy grains flavour just doesn't sit well with me :yuk: Although I can drink..uh, dark beers. Stouts? I dunno, I'm not particularly well informed, which I enjoy despite one of my friends insisting that it's for old men only.

I find it quite annoying as usually I'm limited to drinking guinness or cider. Lots and lots of cider. Oh silly me.