Best 5 of '09 - In Retrospect

Dak

mentat
Aug 9, 2008
Among the Horrors
I know we do a "Best of" thread, but usually towards the end of the year, when some albums are still due out, and we may not have given other albums enough play to test their ability to stand the test of time. Some other 09 albums I might rate as "better" than whats on my list, but these have gotten the most play.

Now that we have had a whole year to revisit albums from 2009, what albums do you play the most?

Mine in no particular order:

Vektor - Black Future
Gorod - Process of a New Decline
Insomnium - Across the Dark
Amorphis - Skyforger
Katatonia - Night is the New Day

I should have labeled most played. Addicted is ok, but it's not even in Townsend's top 3, much less a top five for the year.

1. Tribulation - The Horror
2. Ignivomous - Death Transmutation
3. Diocletian - Doom Cult
4. Arckanum - ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ
5. Teitanblood - Seven Chalices

Something like that.

Candlemass' Death Magic Doom and Paradise Lost's Faith divides us, death unites us are both favorites of mine from 2009

Katatonia -Night Is the New Day.
Amorphis -Skyforger.
Novembers Doom -Into Night's Requiem Infernal.
Candlemass -Death Magic Doom.
Lacuna Coil -Shallow Life, still can't say I like it as much as anything previous.

"Katatonia - Night is the New Day" was the best release of 2009.

"Katatonia - Night is the New Day" was the best release of 2009.
Night is the new day is a great album, but I don't like steven wilson sneaking into fucking everything he produces. Day and then the shade for example has a big PT influence. I don't like that.
The album is definitely better than the great cold distance for me, it is more varied. I felt that TGCD kinda followed the same pattern in all the songs. NITND has great songs that are very different one from the other. For example, Idle Blood, Liberation, Departer, Nephilim.
In fact the only thing that annoys me is the mentioned Steven Wilson. I see him everywhere (Katatonia, Anathema, Opeth,...)

1) Beherit - Engram
2) Slugathor - Echoes From Beneath
3) The Chasm - Farseeing the Paranormal Abysm
4) Ignivomous - Death Transmutation
5) Diocletian - Doom Cult

Something like that.

The Chasm-Farseeing
Candlemass-Death Magic Doom
Beherit-Engram
Heaven and Hell-The Devil you Know

that's all I really heard from 2009

1) Beherit - Engram
2) Slugathor - Echoes From Beneath
3) The Chasm - Farseeing the Paranormal Abysm
4) Ignivomous - Death Transmutation
5) Diocletian - Doom Cult

Something like that.

Nice to see 4 and 5 getting some more recognition. Surprised Claws and Vorum aren't on there since they're bad ass finnish death metal!

1. Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue With The Stars
2. The Chasm - Farseeing The Paranormal Abysm
3. The Ruins Of Beverast - Foulest Semen Of A Sheltered Elite
4. Cobalt - Gin
5. Kylesa - Static Tensions

Best 9, in no order:

Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue With The Stars
Cobalt - Gin
Mournful Congregation - The June Frost
My Dying Bride - For Lies I Sire
Napalm Death - Time Waits for No Slave
Mastodon - Crack the Skye
Amesoeurs - Amesoeurs
Arizmenda - Within the Vacuum of Infinity
Nokturnal Mortum - The Voice of Steel

The Chasm - Farseeing
Teitanblood - Seven Chalices
Spiritus Mortis - The God Behind the God
Candlemass - Death Magic Doom
Powerwolf - Bible of the Beast

honorable mention:
Gaza - He is Never Coming Back

Night is the new day is a great album, but I don't like steven wilson sneaking into fucking everything he produces. Day and then the shade for example has a big PT influence. I don't like that.
The album is definitely better than the great cold distance for me, it is more varied. I felt that TGCD kinda followed the same pattern in all the songs. NITND has great songs that are very different one from the other. For example, Idle Blood, Liberation, Departer, Nephilim.
In fact the only thing that annoys me is the mentioned Steven Wilson. I see him everywhere (Katatonia, Anathema, Opeth,...)

Steve Wilson has nothing to do with Night Is The New Day.