Best Album of 2005

Oh I'm sorry I didn't realise my opinion was ridiculous and ignorant. Firstly the top post blatantly says not to mention Opeth's release, but even so I wouldn't say it was the best release of the year, I was so stunned by System of a Down's latest effort i think it deserves attention.. its nothing like any of their previous efforts and is very fresh and original.. incorporating not only their native folk feel from the middle east but metal styles ranging through black, power, death and they even mess around with other random musical styles which are often seen as taboo by closed minded metal fans such as yourself. I think rather than sticking to the typical rap-rock shit like every other nu-metal band they went somewhere else and put out something original and interesting.. maybe you didnt listen to the album properly...

daz436 said:
Oh I'm sorry I didn't realise my opinion was ridiculous and ignorant. Firstly the top post blatantly says not to mention Opeth's release, but even so I wouldn't say it was the best release of the year, I was so stunned by System of a Down's latest effort i think it deserves attention.. its nothing like any of their previous efforts and is very fresh and original.. incorporating not only their native folk feel from the middle east but metal styles ranging through black, power, death and they even mess around with other random musical styles which are often seen as taboo by closed minded metal fans such as yourself. I think rather than sticking to the typical rap-rock shit like every other nu-metal band they went somewhere else and put out something original and interesting.. maybe you didnt listen to the album properly...

Definitely not, man. They actually took all of their eastern influences out of it. Just listen to, say, the verse of psycho. All of that is gone from Hypnotize. It's a watered down, brain-melting version of the same style they played for Mezmerize, Steal This Album, and Toxicity. It's extreme stagnation.

The sound I'm referring to I find present in tracks like U-Fig, Soldier Side, Hypnotize, Holy Mountains... I do see what you mean about stagnation, some stuff you can easily say is 'another version of [insert older soad track here]' but theres something about the feeling this album creates that does it for me.

meshuggah - catch 33
opeth - ghost reveries
ulver - blood inside
mars volta - frances the mute

probably others that i cant remember

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
Hypocrisy - Virus
Pain - Dancing with the dead
Tori Amos - The Beekeeper
Strapping Young Lad - Alien
Dark Tranquillity - Character

yeah, so what if some aren't metal, I have eclectic tastes...

Arcturus - Sideshow Symphonies
Hypocrisy - Virus
Rammstein - Rosenrot
Opeth - Ghost Reveries
System of a Down - Mezmerize/Hypnotize