Best Albums of 2009 (so far)

tbh this year may top 07, what with katatonia's new one, hopefully a new dso, hupogrammos' new project probably releasing all the material that was nb before the split, dtp's three other albums, ahab, behemoth, skitliv, shining...

not to mention mammoths like crack the skye, ki, mv2, and the june frost.

I just recently purchased Isis - Wavering Radiant and I have to say that is definitely the album of the year so far for me. I'm pretty much blown away! It has all the elements of Isis that I've always loved and used them in bucketloads! Absolutely fantastic!

I also heard the new Dredg album 'The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion' and I was pleasantly surprised they seem to have backtracked a bit to their more experimental style a la 'El Cielo'. Don't get me wrong, I definitely enjoyed the more commercial Catch Without Arms, but more of a fan of their more experimental stuff, as is the case with most bands comparing their experimental stuff to more commercial stuff.

I just recently purchased Isis - Wavering Radiant and I have to say that is definitely the album of the year so far for me. I'm pretty much blown away! It has all the elements of Isis that I've always loved and used them in bucketloads! Absolutely fantastic!

I also heard the new Dredg album 'The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion' and I was pleasantly surprised they seem to have backtracked a bit to their more experimental style a la 'El Cielo'. Don't get me wrong, I definitely enjoyed the more commercial Catch Without Arms, but more of a fan of their more experimental stuff, as is the case with most bands comparing their experimental stuff to more commercial stuff.

WIN, WIN, WIN!!!!

Dredg is amazing, thanx for reminding me of their new cd.

Also i´ve head Mars Voltas´s new shit and its perfect, almost as good as their debut album.

and then, for those who havent heard the new Mew single, just go to www.myspace.com/mew , now that song its going to create lots of opinions.
I loved it, cant wait for the album.

Also i´ve head Mars Voltas´s new shit and its perfect, almost as good as their debut album.

Ehhhh I have to strongly disagree. I like half the songs on Octahedron (SWBW, Teflon, Desperate Graves, Cotopaxi), the other 4 (Halo, Copernicus, Luciforms, Twilight) are wayyyy too slow and don't have much going for them (in my opinion). I see what they were trying to do with this record, but their approach wasn't close to perfect. I think if they tried another record like this again they would get it right and it would be great, but for a first attempt I think its just alright.

The Dredg is alright too. Like you two said, El Cielo and Catch are still better, but Pariah wasn't a disappointment in the least. I'll be seeing them on tour with the Rx Bandits this summer, hopefully they have a good set.

If you guys haven't heard of this band And So I Watch You From Afar, check out their self titled LP, its easily one of my favorite records of this year/all time. Its an instrumental post-rock band, but they bring a whole new dimension to post-rock. Heres one of their music videos to check out:

Last edited by a moderator:
o: it leaked? btw that mournful congregation album was amazing. I'm still not crazy about Mastodon though.

yeah it leaked the other day, they've been selling @ the summer slaughter shows since the first night.

mournful congregation rapes.
seeing cts done live makes you appreciate the album a lot more, it gets played at least once a day, and I'm still not bored.

As of now, I bought 5 albums this year. And only 2 of them were a 09 release. But they kick amazing ass -

Mono - Hymn To The Immortal Wind
Dave Matthews Band - Big Whiskey and the Groo Grux King

Once I purchase the new Dredg and Isis, I'll add them to the list.

Top 3 so far is:

1. Mastodon - Crack The Skye
2. Drudkh - Microcosmos
3. Steven Wilson - Insurgentes (I dont know if it counts as a 2008 or 2009 release).