Best Albums of 2009 (so far)

Top 5 so far:
Mastodon
Anaal Nathrakh
Madder Mortem
Devin Townsend Project
Isis

This is likely to change though, there's still a lot of seriously good stuff on the way, such as Porcupine Tree, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Katatonia, Smashing Pumpkins, and lots of other stuff i'm likely to love. '09 has already kicked the crap out of '08 for new music though. I even really liked the new Placebo album, and I haven't paid attention to anything by them in like a decade.

Lmoa the new Shining album is a piece of shit full of undigested corn, sadly. The first 2 tracks are ok/good, but the rest is total vapid dog shit. Seriously, I don’t get why there is so much wanky shredding, boring riffs and gay solos on the album. There is a funky buttrock kinda track that’s particularly hilarious, I don’t remember its number right now (I think it’s the fourth one), but the chorus might be the most forced thing I’ve ever heard in all music. Apart from the aforementioned 1st tracks, almost nothing here resembles the rotting depressive atmosphere of the previous Shining stuff. Shit album.

I hope Taylor Hawkins and the Coattail Riders decide to release something this year, the first album was fuckin aces. awesome indie-prog-rock. Tay did a Dave Grohl, let's just hope Dave doesn't do a Kurt.
same thing goes for Chris Shifflet with Jackson United. actually good California-skater-punk. didn't know it existed. great solo from christy shifty too.
and for Mendel I don't like his side projects, as he's the only band member not singin in any band.

and then for the main character of the circus, Dave. I can't wait.. just can't wait...
He's fuckin doin an album together with.. JOSH HOMME and.. du du duuh.. JOHN PAUL JONES..
how can that turn out negative!? The Ultimate dude+the ultimate douchebag+the ultimate legend!

I'm drunk, but I will still long for the new records once I got my headache.

btw: Taylor Hawkins - Drummer of Foo Fighters, Chris Shifflet - Guitarrist in FF, Nate Mendel - Bass in FF, Josh Homme - frontman of QOTSA and drummer in Eagles of Death metal. you got the rest hopefully.

cheers.

Lmoa the new Shining album is a piece of shit full of undigested corn, sadly. The first 2 tracks are ok/good, but the rest is total vapid dog shit. Seriously, I don’t get why there is so much wanky shredding, boring riffs and gay solos on the album. There is a funky buttrock kinda track that’s particularly hilarious, I don’t remember its number right now (I think it’s the fourth one), but the chorus might be the most forced thing I’ve ever heard in all music. Apart from the aforementioned 1st tracks, almost nothing here resembles the rotting depressive atmosphere of the previous Shining stuff. Shit album.

gonna have to disagree here ttytt, give it a few more listens and see how you like it then. at first I didn't like it either but I listened to it like 4 or 5 more times and its starting to click

the most recent DevilDriver album "Pray For Villains" is pretty damn nice, but it's not "the fury of our makers hands". not even close.
also got myself the new Korpiklaani and Hardcore Superstar albums.
I look forward to the part 3 and 4 of the Devin Townsend project.

gonna have to disagree here ttytt, give it a few more listens and see how you like it then. at first I didn't like it either but I listened to it like 4 or 5 more times and its starting to click

I like the new Shining to. Overall a great album especially the last song. Really don't care if they sound depressed or whatever. As long as the music is good I'm just happy :kickass:
4,5/5