best death metal-albums!!!

Souside Journey is great. It's not paticularly catchy or brutal, but it does have that dark, creepy feel that other old school dm albums like Fleshcrawl - Descend into the Absurd or Infester - To the Depths in Degradation have.

Amorphis-Tales From the Thousand Lakes
At The Gates-Slaughter Of The Soul
Carcass-Heartwork
Dark Tranquillity-Damage Done
Eternal Darkness-Ceremony Of Doom, First 7" EP,Suffering, Twilight In The Wilderness
Gorguts-Obscura
Opeth-Morningrise
Wetwork-Synod

I would say doom/death stuff too but I'm lazy.

DarkBliss said:
Yes, the atmosphere. You're the rifftastic type, so it's no wonder your ladder of values in death metal is skewed to the other side

He enjoys deicide who have 2,3 riffs in each song organized the same so I doubt it's because darkthrone 'soulside journey' is not a riff fest. Soulside Journey has about 5 times the riffs and the songs are actually unconventional for the time. Soulside Journey swedish, and finland death metal albums make deicide sound like people running around with flowers under a sun set.

Well, I do like NY style dm a lot. 90s Tampa dm is good, but not great, for the most part. Modern Unique Leader-style USDM (Decrepit Birth, Severed Savior, Vile, Disgorge etc.) sucks almost as much as metalcore, though. Some of my favorite dm bands are American, but Europe has better dm overall.

I was talking to Life Sucks, saying he doesn't understand your preferences.

In my opinion, Swedish death metal took the best the US has to offer and added a European flavor to spice things up.

Zephyrus said:
I was talking to Life Sucks, saying he doesn't understand your preferences.

In my opinion, Swedish death metal took the best the US has to offer and added a European flavor to spice things up.

Ahh I see :) I inserted a comma where there wasn't one when reading it.

I find that American metal is more straightforward, pounding, and rythmic, which is what I like. European death metal, especially Swedish, while by no means bad, often uses more melody, which I find doesn't work as well rythm on many occasions.

Just my thoughts :kickass:

Asphy - The Rack
Autopsy - Mental Funeral
Carcass - Necroticism
The Chasm - Conjuration of the Spectral Empire
Pan Thy Monium - Dawn of Dreams
Edge of Sanity - Unorthodox

cookiecutter said:
I find that American metal is more straightforward, pounding, and rythmic, which is what I like. European death metal, especially Swedish, while by no means bad, often uses more melody, which I find doesn't work as well rythm on many occasions.

I agree. When I need something really fucking heavy, I'll head straight for some Morbid Angel or Vader; but I prefer melody in my metal overall, so my favorite death metal bands tend to be melodic, like In Flames and At the Gates, etc.

Authentic Metalhead said:
I agree. When I need something really fucking heavy, I'll head straight for some Morbid Angel or Vader; but I prefer melody in my metal overall, so my favorite death metal bands tend to be melodic, like In Flames and At the Gates, etc.

90% of the time I want something "really fucking heavy" so I guess that is why I turn towards brutal death of the American variety especially. Hypocrisy usually fills the rest of my needs.

The Greys said:
He enjoys deicide who have 2,3 riffs in each song organized the same

I haven't listened much to Deicide to really comment on that. There is a simpler explanation: he just wants to have as little in common as possible with the transexual peacocks who post "you know where" and their musical preferences, for fear of becoming one himself. I, personally, can understand him, but regardless of those individuals' silly condescending attitudes, the majority of bands assembled in their database do rule