Best guitarist today?

Well, it's not possible to say who's the "best guitarist", since it's mostly subjective and just impossible to compare two (or more) guitarists and say "That one is the best, since he played X number of notes pr. sec, or he is the one with most emotion. It's all up to people to decide whom their favorite is.

But anyways, my favorites are(for the moment):
John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola & John Petrucci...can't be arsed to post videos or stuff like that, since they've all been mentioned before.

just my two cents :)

Though Mikael is my favourite guitarist I think I'll have to echo hibernal_dream and say Luc Lemay is a close second. A guitarist I always think is under appreciated is Blakkheim, espcially in Diabolical Masquerade.

Mikael will always be my favourite, but apart from him:

Paul Gilbert
Andy Timmons
John Petrucci

check out this perfomance by Paul Gilbert:

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=o9QL0Jkb_GU[/ame]

its just amazing.. you beatles fans out there will surely enjoy this.. mike from Dream Theater plays drums as well btw!

Agree with earlier posts. There are guitarists who are brilliant technically (Vai etc), emotionally (Gilmour) and in terms of songwriting (Akerfeldt). These days I tend to look more fondly on the songwriting aspect (partially since I'm quite the poor technical guitarist myself) then emotionally, and finally technically. I dunno technical skill comes from practise, songwriting skill comes from something spiritual in my mind, which is why love music so dearly.

I can say in terms of bass though, I always enjoy some VWooten.

Theres no best guitarist out there....
for my taste it´s Petrucci , Paul Masvidal, Thordendal who are greatest. And Jarzombeck of course. And of course Al di Meola... but this list could go on forever.:loco:

There are some great guitarists around. I'd say for expression and originality... Allan Holdsworth. Nobody else sounds like him. Fredrik Thordendal tries, but fails.

My fave is still Mike (our very own, from Opeth). He has had the most profound impact on my own playing.

Most of the people that have been mentioned have listed Allan Holdsworth as a major influence. What about Michael Hedges?

don't know which is the best, but my favourites are:

John Petrucci
Devin Townsend (my favourite solo ever -Deep Peace-)
Jim Matheos
Mikael
Andy Latimer
McUilliam (Primordial) for songwriting and riffs

Guthrie Govan or Ron Thal are among the most versatile players i've seen. Soft jazz to crazy technical stuff.

If any of you have heard Mike Lerner's Direwolf cd its got some of the strangest riffs i've ever heard. He definitely holds it down in that category.

Ron is definitely up there.

seeing his instructional videos always leads to me breaking out my guitar for a few hours...

Last edited by a moderator: