Doom: Candlemass or Swallow the Sun
Melodic Death: (old) In Flames
Gothic: After Forever
Stoner: Acid Bath
Progressive: Agalloch? or Opeth
Folk: Elvenking
Viking: Ensiferum and Wintersun

Overall: Slipknot :D

Black - Bathory first and foremost, but the pioneering black metal bands (Burzum, Darkthrone, Emperor, Enslaved, Immortal, Mayhem) at their respective heights are also absolutely superb.
Viking - Bathory
Power - Blind Guardian
Trad. Doom - Candlemass
Funeral Doom - Skepticism
Melodic Death - At the Gates
Depressive - Katatonia
Thrash - old Sepultura and old Kreator
Heavy fuckin' Metal - Iron Maiden
Folk(ish) - Primordial
Death - Death and Morbid Angel

Black: Bathory / Aeternus
Death: At the Gates
Thrash: Slayer
Doom: Candlemass
NWOBHM/Classic: Judas Priest

and Black Sabbath deserves a mention, although I'm not sure it really fits into a particular category.

cool thread. its hard to pick. I do have a few in mind though:
Black-venom
Thrash-slayer
Death-morbid angel
classic metal-maiden

Black-Cradle of filth
Heavy-In flames
Trash-Kreator
Power-Pantera
Speed-Maiden

I've heard someone calling In flames as death metal but I disagree..

Death - Death
Thrash - Megadeth
Black - Emperor
Power - Manowar
Heavy Metal - Iron maiden/Judas Preist
Progressive - Symphony X / Opeth
Viking - Bathory

I havn't heard a lot so heaps of bands i could have put would be based on 1 or 2 albums by them, which in some cases would be over half a bands discography, but anyway this will do.

TylerTheNuke said:
Black: Burzum/emperor
Death/thrash/tech - death (I know that they aren't really death metal, I'd call them post thrash myself)
Math/modern(includes nu)-Meshuggah
nonmetal - King crimson
Haven't heard enough of anything else...
If he had said Dimmu instead of Burzum/Emperor I think we would have found the winner of the "Goddamn you MTV" award.

i find this thread hard to answer for me as to many bands cross over into other genres making them hard to define. look at extreme metal where you can sub divide it every which way. even a band like blind guardian becomes hard to define as they dabble in speed, power, and maybe even a small dose of progressive metal. does dark tranquillity sound like behemoth or does borknagar sound like emperor? hope everybody gets what im saying.

cfh said:
Black-Cradle of filth
Heavy-In flames
Trash-Kreator
Power-Pantera
Speed-Maiden

I've heard someone calling In flames as death metal but I disagree..

You don't know your genres do you, Maiden is Classic Heavy Metal, Pantera definetly is not Power, and as soon as I heard Mayhem, or Immortal, or Emperor, I Immediately stopped listening to cradle of filth.

Thrash: Testament, Sodom, Kreator, Artillery Obsession, Attacker, Exhorder, Heathen, Death Angel, Sentinel Beast, Detente, Villain, Old Helloween & Blind Guardian

NWOBHM/Classic: Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Grim Reaper, Venom, Warlock

Death: Death, Incubus, Dismember, Autopsy, Abscess, Carcass, Edge Of Sanity, Ribspreader

Melodic Death: In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, Soilwork, Sacrilege, Arsis, Dimension Zero, Ceremonial Oath, At The Gates

Power: Newer Blind Guardian & Helloween, Hammerfall, Dream Evil, Fates Warning (with John Arch), Iced Earth (pre-ripper), Edguy, Angel Dust, Sanctuary (pre nevermore sanctuary...)

Black Metal: ... n/a

Progressive: Dan Swano, Evergrey, Angra, Orphaned Land, and of course Atheist

Doom: Cirith Ungol, Black Sabbath

Folk: Elvenking, Leprechaun, Skyclad

BlackMetalTyrant said:
You don't know your genres do you, Maiden is Classic Heavy Metal, Pantera definetly is not Power, and as soon as I heard Mayhem, or Immortal, or Emperor, I Immediately stopped listening to cradle of filth.

Maiden can be either classic,NWOBHM and power metal. They do have some speed metal in a more traditional sense.

The first 4,5 Pantera cds are powermetal. Shut up turd, don't make me flush you down the toilet.

5thSeason said:
NWOBHM/Classic: Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Grim Reaper, Venom, Warlock

Grim Reaper? Ill see you in hell my friend, see you in hell my friend, see you in heeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.

The Greys said:
Maiden can be either classic,NWOBHM and power metal. They do have some speed metal in a more traditional sense.

The first 4,5 Pantera cds are powermetal. Shut up turd, don't make me flush you down the toilet.

They were hair/glam metal with a little hard rock, fuck you douchebag. Pantera are not best known as a powermetal band. So shut the fuck up, The Gheys